Best donor for VR6 conversion into...mk2?

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by GVK, Sep 16, 2005.

1. zilpha Forum Member

I want to do this (or 1.8 t or G60) too but so far have been quoted silly prices (imo) for the conversion. Not much change out of 4500...........f**k THAT! [8(]

2. rradogolfman Forum Member

mate no offence but you are insane,,,
    a Mk2 golf wont be out performing an S2000,, [8-}]

my next change will be To an integra when i have finished messing about with my greasy VW`s
    Edited by: rradogolfman

3. squibby Forum Member

2 Vr6's, now thats the way to go. Wonder if anyone is planning this? Best donor is the mk3 golf/vento. buy a written off model, rear ended or something.

4. evozippy Forum Member

It's no lie. My mk2 VR a santa pod did a 14.4 and my S2 ran a 14.8....

5. rradogolfman Forum Member

Impressive,,,

6. AndrewF Forum Addict

ask oakgreen88...he'll confirm it still needs to be dented, he found this out the hard way.

7. NormanCoal Forum Member

Its hard to convey expression etc in written format, and tit for tat type isnt what I talking about either - a lot of people have opinions on the VR mk2, not many have owned or driven them, especially on track hence why I ask.

The biggest difference you can make to a VR is the final drive and imo is a nessecity when taking it on track, this will turn it from a motorway cruise to an engine that is much more useable

I cant tell you from personal experience regarding the schrick inlet, but mine doesnt need it, though I'm sure that I would notice the difference if I had one fitted. As for bore wear, then yes it can be an issue sometimes, but not on the ones that I have taken apart recently, and nor have I seen any valve issues - what have you heard or seen with this?

Just to satisfy my curiosity, can you expand on why you wouldnt have a VR as a track car?

8. NormanCoal Forum Member

Dont quote that as he doesnt have a turn2USA pulley to the best of my knowledge

9. ViCk Forum Member

The free Mk2 I got a while ago is a 90 spec Digi 8v, and a VR is on the cards for that when the Mk1 is done :)

I've seen a standard Mk2 VR6 2.9 with Corrado box do a 14.3 !

10. FaTT mk1 Forum Member

You can use mk3/passat rad,fans,and top and bottom hoses. ive done it on valvers and it makes the bay look a bit better as the inlet manifold is no where nearas colse to the rad as it is when using corrado stuff.
    Edited by: FaTT mk1

11. matt d Forum Member

Just what i was thinking.
    I have no experience with mk2 VR6's but have with a certain mk2 valver on bodies. I doubt a mk2 VR6 will beat it.
    That's my opinion :)

12. NormanCoal Forum Member

again, not antagonising on this, but I'd like to see a pic of a conversion with a MK3 VR rad - whenever I have looked it is massively too tall to fit in where it should do.

I have got one installed on my MK2 project car and a lot of modification was required to get it to fit properly

13. NormanCoal Forum Member

Been there, done that! (Twice) [:D]

14. NormanCoal Forum Member

If I was to be honest, I dont think that the MK2 VR that I have would 'beat' your old car Matt, but I would expect it to be in the same ball park. It would certainly be an interesting comparison for sure

15. matt d Forum Member

He could always stick a 1.8t in there. :lol:

Sorry, someone was going to mention it [xx(]

16. AndrewF Forum Addict

sure he said to me he had one....but disregard what i said as i haven't even seen the car yet, where as obviously chris has.

17. NormanCoal Forum Member

For a track car? I'd rather do a 1.3 carb engine conversion complete with 4 speed box! :lol:

18. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Hey, with a 4.27 FD, immense fun was had at Curborough!

(although I will admit times have moved on!)

19. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Hehe,predictable replies all round then. :lol:

Where do I start?[:s]

ChrisP, FaTT mk1 fabbed up some brackets to fit Valver's Passat/ rad on his VR mk2, really neat job. Had a look at it at BVF. I remember the rad being well forward in the bay.. What crossmember did you use Dazza?

I would love to keep the 16v, get some decent rods,cams, JE higher CR pistons, knife edged crank etc etc a lot of money for not that much more power than I have now.

Once you get the cooling/traction/gearing issues sorted, a VR will be plenty good enough for track work IMO, as I said - ChrisP's car was built with a load of cheap/free? bits and it drives great on track, no understeer issues whatsoever, first time I'd driven a mk2 VR and it was on track, couldn't wish for a better place to test out these myths.

Edited by: GVK

20. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

It's a tough choice, but if I kept the 16v it'll be same old same old [:s]