Best donor for VR6 conversion into...mk2?

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by GVK, Sep 16, 2005.

1. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

You did OK out of breaking it IIRC! :lol: :p

Paul (PhatVR6) says I need

2.9 or 2.8 engine (2.9 inlet and TB if 2.8)
    268 cams (!)
    Diff and lower FD
    mk4 02J gear shifter mech

No doubt other stuff too :lol:

If you use a Turn2USA underdrive alloy bottom pulley, do you still have to 'dent' the chassis leg?
    Edited by: GVK

2. stu h Forum Member

thanks for starting this thread gvk [8(]i'd finally decided to with the ABF and now your messing with my head [8(] :lol:

3. NormanCoal Forum Member

You are better off with a complete car in the first place so that you have everything that you need. imo you will be better off with a complete late 2.8. They have the same power output (from rr days) as a 2.9 and you can try and then get a lowish mileage one. Or if you get a leggy one, its easy to change the head gasket and the timing chains whilst the engine is out of the car

Besides buying a donor MK3 there are some bits and pieces that you will need to buy that dont come with the MK3.
    Corrado Rad
    Corrado top and bottom rad hoses
    Corrado throttle cable
    Pedal box or Seat conversion bracket for cable to hydraulic clutch

Ideally it is better to buy a complete corrado in all honesty because everything is there to go in a MK2

But there is lots of information out there, and plenty of people you know to ask advice from

4. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

The advantage was selling a low mileage abf that nearly paid for the passat!! :lol:

5. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Damn - Am I going to have the slowest car on the 'Ring trip next year (again)? I've just put a bloody 6a in it and everything! :lol:
    Edited by: Stu

6. rradogolfman Forum Member

vr6 mk2 as a track car,,,, nah,,
    stick with Valvers for track cars!!! ;)
    he says, with his sig showing him in a G60 going round the ring,,,, hmmmmm
    thing is gary if you do a transplant like that its gonna cost you a hell of allot of money, that would easily pay for rebuilding your own lump,,
    Besides most VR motors are old and tired now and they cost a fortune to rebuild compared to a valver..
    then you have to think of the weight of the thing, crappy cable gearchange,, [:s]
    Edited by: rradogolfman

7. rradogolfman Forum Member

deak`s always does OK,,, :lol:

8. NormanCoal Forum Member

Sorry, but I disagree, and I have experience of both, have you?

Not antogonising here, but different people like different things......
    and from Tuesday's track day, a VR MK2 will more than hold its own against a 16v

It isnt the cheapest transplant to do, that I will agree with, but it is a good engine and it wont break - its an old skool VW engine and nigh on impossible to break from my experience.
    I wont agree entirely that the engine is heavy nor a fortune more to rebuild either. Headgasket and timing chain parts are roughly 200, the hard bit is doing the work as it means that the box has to come out, which isnt an issue if its a transplant in the first place.

The issue for Gary imo is to do with making it more suitable for track use. It needs a lower FD, perhaps a diff, and the cooling is an issue in terms of oil temps. Also, a baffled sump is a must for a track used engine.

Ask Oakgreen88 what his opinion is Gary, he has just converted to a 2.9VR with 3.6FD from a TB'd 2l 8v crossflow. He can tell you exactly what was hard, problems encountered etc as he has just completed his. He'll also be able to tell you costs as well

9. chrismc Forum Junkie

Im not sure what id do TBH....

Seems that doing a VR is a lot of extra effort, when a rebuild/lighten/balance of the 9A & some mild cams (to permit bigger RPMs) would be another option for similar money....

Not sure what is going on with your Gearbox woes...a newly rebuilt box shouldnt be problematic unless its running silly power IMHO

Get a Polo GT instead ;) :lol:
    Edited by: chrismc

10. rradogolfman Forum Member

Yes i have :)

not wanting to turn this into a tit for tat CGTI forum style discussion, [:s]
    The VR6 has lots of weaknesses such as bore wear, however the 2.8 is slightly better on this count,
    They need a shrick manifold to get them working properly,, There are a few issues with valves too...
    Just cant see why you would want to build one as a track car, fast road car maybe,, but not ideal as a track car,,
    Thats just my opinion though, Im sure gary isnt going to undertake a big change like this without carefully thinking it through :clap:

11. rradogolfman Forum Member

Polo GT`s all round!! :clap:

12. VR6T

VR6T Forum Member

Piece of pish doing a mk2 VR...

Try doing the same to a Rallye.. [:s]

I am still scared after the first N/A transplant never mind going turbo...

Just do it... you can always go back to 16v if you don't like it, get Deako to source the parts.. ;)

13. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

If it's the box that's the cause, I'd suggest getting a 'disposable' 16V box, and running it round for a while. I remember Bill B had a nightmare 16V box in his Jetta for a while. In the end, he changed the casing for another, and it was reliable thereafter.

But I can't help feeling that you're wanting to do something different!

14. rradogolfman Forum Member

know what you mean about wanting to change things i have my track MK1 with a perfectly good 1.6 8v in big valve head etc etc, few quid invested in it, but think im gonna rip it out and stick a valver in there just for something to do and give the car a change as i have been running it with that motor for years now..

15. Guests Banned

im doing this next year :)

think im gonna fit it myself aswell [:D]

16. thebluebus Forum Junkie

do it. Mine is going ok ish so far.

17. cude New Member

just forget it all and buy a honda.;)

or transplant the honda lump into a vw:p

it would be more unique[:D]

18. evozippy Forum Member

My mk2 VR works well as a track car. I'm using a standard 2.8 vr, all you need is a v6 4 motion sump which is baffled.
    As for the performance look at the next months(out in a couple of weeks) golf+ mag with the vr6 frenzy! mine is the E reg black mk2 [:D] .

19. 89valver New Member

Cude why dont you forget it all and buy a bogger it might be quicker
    Edited by: 89valver

20. evozippy Forum Member

Honda ha i like my torque!
    My daily driver is an S2000 and i must say the mk2 out performes it [:D]