car photography tips and opinions?

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Riley, Mar 22, 2005.

1. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

2. beaniegti

beaniegti Forum Member

wicked corrado riley :thumbup: :thumbup: looks really nice.

photo wise, they seem pretty good to me. Maybe you could try to place the car in the scenery more rather than letting the car fill the frame. that way it becomes more of a picture rather than a shot of a car if you see what i mean

edit--i like no.1 and 4 the most

ooh, the side one is quite good too
    Edited by: beaniegti

3. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

thanks m8,do you mean back away a bit or dont zoom in so far?

neil. :)

edit for your edit,cheers again m8 :lol: [:D]
    Edited by: riley

4. broken-halfshaf Forum Member

Ive been having a go at some arty pics today but got things a bit wrong...

I like the last pic best, think that looks awesome. How about taking some shots low down?

5. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

6. beaniegti

beaniegti Forum Member

either way really, a few of these 'distance' shots would go well with the closer ones you have taken.

I was just thinking of some of recardos pics where he has got some distance between him and the car allowing the background to either highlight the car or to seat it in the picture. Its a bit more difficult to do this as you have to consider the positioning of the objects/landscape behind you.

Don't take my word for it though-i'm certainly no expert when it comes to photography. :) I might know a good pic when i see one, but doing it myself is a different matter

edit-that pic above is nice, has a good atmosphere and the car is well positioned-definately one of the better ones imo
    Edited by: beaniegti

7. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Also, dont always use your flash by default. Determine wether you need it according to the light, as a flash on a panel ruins an otherwise excellent photo IMO.

8. fthaimike Forum Addict

rear 1/4 with lock on

this one has the best lighting by far

9. Phil

Phil Forum Member

I'm awful at taking photo's. My camera is quite a good one, but it doesn't really assist me at all. [:s]

10. Guests Banned

are you using an slr? or compact digital?

if you using a compact digital you will be pushed to get anything better than that.

what zoom length have you got.....if its good try standing well back and then zooming it. it gives a really nice perspective of the car and makes it look lower.

[​IMG]

try parking the car on a slope...i think that works great.

[​IMG]

and sometimes i find it good if you can stand on something higher than the car

[​IMG]

try not to use the flash and get yourself a tripod to do that. longer exposures always look nicer...i still havent got a tripod so im waiting to get some real stunners.....the one below is out of focus because i had to put the camera on the floor but you gte the picture [:D]

[​IMG]

11. Guests Banned

also if you can get a polorize filter....that takes the reflection off the car. you can also acheieve this easier on a cloudy day or direct sunlight....the pictures you have posted are pretty good only a few have reflections on them

direct sun

[​IMG]

cloudy (easier to pull off :)

[​IMG]
    Edited by: RECARDO

12. stevie_gti Forum Member

recardo ur an artist like hope i can get some pics like that although need to buy a digi cam first normal cams and mobile cams are just no good! also wanted to ask about ur window tints mate how dark are they as they look really good to me!

13. Guests Banned

cheers stevie....there 35/25 the rear being darker :)

14. Rick 16v Mk2 Forum Member

nice pics :clap: :thumbup:

15. Jeff Forum Junkie

try and split the frame into 3rds in your mind either horizontally or vertically and dont fill all 3 with the car. Have 1/3 of the picture filled with just sky, or ground, or surrounding buildings, or something other than your car. You've managed it in this one - "weird rear shot" see how the car is in the left 2/3 of the picture and not taking it all up. Great pic that IMO.

16. Mike_H Forum Addict

First...get the light and the background right - if it's not a sunny (ish) day then forget it. Dull day = dull photo

Fields, trees, sea etc all make good backgrounds...an old clay quarry or red sand quarry would make a good contrast with the colour of your car

Round about sunrise and sunset you get better, softer light tones, rather than being dazzled by the reflection off the paint - and low angled light can cast some interesting shadows

Then get slightly below the level of the car, to make it appear to dominate the picture more.

Here's one I like that I took of my porker...the evening light gives it a nice pink tint to the paint I think... and I like the way the clouds part just above it... It hasn't been this clean since, by the way.

[​IMG]
    Edited by: mikehorsb

17. Guests Banned

i have to disagree. i think the best pictures are taken on a dull day.....if you get close and use the flash you get a well exposed car and a very moody sky.

the picture below was without flash but the moody sky looks great, can be done with a nice cloudy but sunny day too.

[​IMG]

18. Andy_T4 Forum Member

Nice 'rado! I love the first and last pics.
    The low down shots can look good when you get it lowered. I lay on the floor of a petrol station on the way back from Edition 38 last year for this one:

[​IMG]

Not really having a clue about photography, I was uncomfortable about not getting the entire car in the picture, but half a 996 Turbo seemed to work in this one I took in Weston last year:

[​IMG]

I like this one someone took of mine at a No Rice meet last year as well - I like the moodiness of the night time shot:

[​IMG]

19. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

I just wanted to add one thing.

Bastard! :lol:

20. Guests Banned

andy t4 some nice pictures there but what i would say is crop your first picture....no need for the brick work at the bottom and the porsche in the sun is nice but the metering should have been off the car not the sky.....thats why the car looks so dark. you can do this in photoshop but idealy do it when taking the picture. if you had of used the flash it would have looked much better

ill post a picture when im home of a similar picture but using the flash or mettering off the closest subject

:)

edit: you see the shadow down the side and the darkness of the wheels.....with flash that would have gone :)
    Edited by: RECARDO