car photography tips and opinions?

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Riley, Mar 22, 2005.

1. Andy_T4 Forum Member

Jeez dude - I have this camera see, and I takes off the lens cover see (sometimes!), and I points it see, and I press the little button, and there it is! :lol: If I started taking my own pics properly, I'd no longer be so impressed at yours ;)

2. Guests Banned

sorry its hard not to sound patronizing on a forum :lol: im just trying to help.

see this picture below is similar to the porsche picture in that it has been lit from behind or above with sun light.....using the flash fills the picture and can give a very nice effect

[​IMG]

3. Andy_T4 Forum Member

LOL! Just messing - even if I'm too lazy to do it properly, I'm sure someone else reading this appreciates the advice :clap:

4. Guests Banned

5. Rahul Forum Junkie

as usual, some of recardos photos are great! I found that my photos of my are so much better in black and white....wil post some up soon.......still cant take photos [:s] :lol:

6. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

cheers guys and thanks for the tips and great pics :clap: :clap:

my camera is a sony dsc-w12,5.1 megapixel,smart zoom thing [:s] .

am i doing okay to say thats all im using? just the lighting/positioning/that i need to get right?

thanks everybody,ill take your tips into account for when the sun or clouds ;) come out.

neil. :)

7. Guests Banned

well if thats your camera then you done a very good job with what you have! :clap:

edit: get a tripod then you can play about with long exposures....thats where it gets fun ;)
    Edited by: RECARDO

8. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

thanks m8 :thumbup:

i quite like this one but maybe the back ground and light could have been better?

neil.

[​IMG]

9. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

recardo can you explain a little about what exposure is? [:s]

i really dont know anything!

neil.

10. Andy_T4 Forum Member

And he doesn't mean that thing you do with your raincoat down by the secondary girls modern.... :p

11. Guests Banned

ok ill give it a go.

to get good exposure you need to have the 'shutter' open for the correct period of time. on a bright day the norm is to have a fast shutter speed since the sutter only has to be open quickly to record enough light. so if taking a picture in the dark you need a long exposure to capture as much light as possible.

now if your doing a long exposure the shutter stays open for longer.....meaning if anything moves it will record it moving and you get a blurred effect. this is why you need a tripod. your hand can only hold the camera still at no less that 1/125. so if you hand is moving ever so slightly it will blur the picture. by having a tripod the camera stays perfectly still allowing you do get much longer exposures.

sometimes tho you want to catch things moving.....you know the trailing headlight effect.....thats done with a long exposure.....the light is burning across the image while the shutter is open.

as a rule of thumb if a picture is coming out too dark....you need a longer exposure....if its coming out too light you need a shorter exposure.

stick you camera on manual and have a play around with the shutter speeds and you will see the effects it has.

12. Russ_JDUB Forum Member

Some top tips there Recardo! - I'm sh*t at taking pictures, that's why you're gonna be taking loads for me! ;)

13. Guests Banned

this picture looks great but is infact so simple to do.

stick your camera on a tripod.....set the shutter speed to about 8 seconds and shoot. at night it can make the sky look amazing. and if you had you car infront of traffic it would look great

[​IMG]

14. Guests Banned

lol! :lol:

15. cliveyp Forum Member

Now i could just do with a tripod! :lol:

Some top tips there though Recardo, i'll have to look at doing something like that myself cos my pics always come out crap! :lol:

16. Guests Banned

thats the thing im not a photographer but i do use my camera a lot. im sure elucidate could give some better tips.....since he is a 'photographer' [:D]

wouldnt be a bad thing if this thread was made sticky since we all like to take shots of our cars

:)

17. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Got any cheap cameras for sale still Recardo?? lol! My old Fuji 2800 isnt quite capable of what i want any more.

18. broken-halfshaf Forum Member

These are a couple I did last night/tonight, they are seriously poor, just been messing with settings on my cam ect, trying to go along with Recardo's advice...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Using a Nikon Coolpix 2100, No tripod or anything, thats why some are a bit shaky.

19. Mike_H Forum Addict

20. Jeff Forum Junkie

[​IMG]

look for a setting called white balance, should be able to lose the orangeness with it!