car photography tips and opinions?

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Riley, Mar 22, 2005.

1. matt_hat New Member

hi ive currnetly got a nikon coolpix 4200 which is ok but im thinking of getting a canon eos 350d anyone got experience with these? i ve heard there very good.

or can anyone suggest an alternative for about the same money?

matt

2. Dodson New Member

What do people thing of these?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. golf2 Forum Member

matt_hat the 350d is superb. You cant get anything better for the money in my opinion. Its very easy to use for beginners as a point and shoot camera but has lots of advanced settings for the pros.

I bought a Tamron 28-300mm telephoto lens with mine which is also very good. The included Canon 18-55 isnt amazing.

One alternative would be the Nikon D50 but ifyou compare the specs/reviews the 350d always comes out on top.

Prices vary a lot!!! Argos sell the Canon EOS 350d for a whopping 650!!On www.eatay.com you can get it for 518 inc VAT! That includes the standard 18-55mm lens.

If you want an affordable SLR get the Canon!

4. foxhole Forum Member

Greatthread this.

Two photos of my car, same day, same time, same dull cloudy day, almost same angle. Which one looks best????

Taken with Olympus OM1 manual film SLR camera, prob from the 1970's. 50mm lens, polarizing filter, tripod and 1/60 shutter speed at f.8. Used negative film, then CD'ed at jessops.

[​IMG]

Taken with a Fujifilm 2.1 megapixel compact, looks like about 35mm lens.

[​IMG]

Nick

5. gedge New Member

Yeah, but you can get a Nikon D50 body for 330 these days, which
    leaves you 188 towards a decent lens, compared having a Canon and a
    cheapo kit lens. The 350d does not always come out on top, the D50 is a
    top piece of kit for the money. Depends what you want really though. I'd
    have the D50 every time (although I wouldn't, because I already have a
    D70. [:-B] )

I'm not opening up a very boring Canon v Nikon debate, but it's worth
    mentioning that the 350d is not the be all and end all when it comes to
    bargain digital SLRs.

6. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

Amazing old thread - this is the first time I've gone through it properly.

I am rubbish at taking pictures, but I was rather chuffed with a few pictures I took of my 16V after I fitted my RMs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. DEX

Dex Paid Member Paid Member

Just a point about SLRs......

No SLR body is better than the glass it's attached to.

I'd rather use a Canon 300D with a decent bit of glass on the front than a 30D with one of the
    k(sh)it lenses.

You could spend the same amount on each, the the 300D would come out with far better pics in a better range of conditions.

I use an original Pentax *Ist D (not the later cut-down variants) but i get good photos because I use decent lenses and I've learnt how to use it (and am still learning)

Remember to think about the future when buying a D-SLR. The brand that you buy now is likely to be a brand you are tied to for a while. Don't be too tempted to buy the best body you can and skimp on lenses - that's a horrible waste of money as you'll get average photos and the body will lose a lot of value. Try and find either a decent secondhand or new but recently replaced (10d, 20d for example) body and then get yourself good quality lenses. Keep an eye out on ebay for them.

Ideally you want a short zoom (i use a 24-70) that's constant f2.8, then a longer zoom (70-200) as either a 2.8 or an f4. with those two lenses you can cover 90% of what you want to shoot, with a 1.4x or 2x converter you can cover pretty much the other 9%. Then when you upgrade your body later on you will already have lenses you can use. Bodies go out of date and are superceded very quickly, lenses not so much.

The *best* lens i have (sharpest) was made in the 70s, is manual focus and is a 50mm f1.7 prime.

8. Q-C

Q-C New Member

thats not specifically true as when stopped down the canon 18-55 lens will produce results that the lay person will not be able to see a difference than say 17-40 L. good glass does help in some situations but I'd rather have a camera body that can focus well and that rules the 350/300 out lol

I used to own a 300

9. oakey Forum Member

So the last two entries are interesting....

....I am beginning to think that my disposable camera might not be quite good enoough :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Awesome thread guys, loads of good ideaas!

Anyone know how much it would cost to get a professional shoot of a car? i.e. get hold of a photographer for the day and get him/her to follow you around and take pics? I am thinking of doing this as I dont have a decent camera and I could spend of fortune on a decent camera, yet the pics will still be shocking!! :lol: