CV Joint Drawings

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by Dave, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Adamss24 Forum Member

Over 350 bhp/700Nm might be the issue there…didn’t mention my car is a pd swapped 1.9 tdi engine and 6 speed gearbox…driveshafts are cut and welded but the welds are strong, however I break the inner cv ball cage…

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Was it dyno'd at 700?? Wow.

Regardless of power, inners hardly ever go.

Any chance the shaft is bottoming out?

3. Adamss24 Forum Member

I de-tuned it since as the injectors i had at the time (firad +160%) were really hard to control the smoke, fitted the firad 120% and lowered the torque a little…the SRE clutch started to slip…

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

As long as they're post-88 ones they'll fit fine yep, pre-88 are different size :)

maybe double check the shaft length, 02J type box shafts are different length to 02M/Q?

Adamss24 likes this.
  5. Adamss24 Forum Member

I had no issues with the driveline driving the car for 2 years ! The cv joint broke during a very hard pull (4000rpms dumping the clutch)…if I drive a bit less aggressive then I have no problem ! I wanted to change to tripod type cv joints as I never had issues with similar power in 4wd audis…

6. rubjonny

alrighty, just need something a bit beefier then. those CV seem to only be for the DSG box so I'm not sure if they'll fit normal gearbox. the spline on the shaft may be different too but thats no problem for you ;)

7. Adamss24 Forum Member

So you reckon the dsg output shafts will be suitable ? I can weld and machine the stubs without much bother- I can also get them hardened in a factory in my town however I believe clearances will vary a bit too much after that ! And then they’re almost impossible to machine !
    I was thinking maybe I could graft some Audi driveshafts, I am breaking several seat exeo (b7 Audi in a new frock) and I also have a 180 bhp c5 Audi 2.5v6 tdi with a rare FWD auto gearbox (never seen that combination in uk, only 150 bhp !) it would be a nice upgrade if I can make them fit… meanwhile I would take it easier and not driving the golf anymore as it’s too cold outside and the car is without heating…

8. rubjonny

I'm not sure what size the DSG flanges are vs the 02j/m thats the trouble, I know they're a funny shape rather than round but that might not matter... If you have a donor car sat around that helps you can just offer it up and see. or since you can weld shafts anyway might be scope to make an adaptor to go between the gearbox and the dsg cv joint even