Dodgy driver

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by dodgy, Mar 7, 2021.

1. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Then remembered to rewire starter plug in back of fusebox as mine was an auto originally.
    And....

Bit of a gearbox noisy rattle, better check oil level in it.
    But very pleased it runs.

Vinnie, erreesse and cupracraig like this.
  2. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

It’s alive already!?

dodgy likes this.
  3. dodgy

Yep, managed to feed loom back through the bulkhead hole with the servo loose, connected it all up in engine bay, then inside and soldered the brake light switch wires in, plugged all the fusebox in. Turned key and no starter, then looked at fusebox FAQ and realised the H1 starter wire was missing as mine was auto so had separate relay before, so transfer wire over and wound it over to prime it, then again and it fired up.
    Only ran it for length of video, was noisy from gearbox end, I know haven't checked oil in box, but may be the starter catching or something.
    To be honest it has come together quickly this week, all the bits arrived and weather has been good.
    Next is radiator hoses, order some fans, pipe intercooler and make a bracket to hold the maf. Put dash back together, tidy wiring inside.
    Tidy the garage is on the list too.
    But it's all heading in the right direction.

4. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

Outstanding! Well done Dave :thumbup:

dodgy likes this.
  5. cupracraig

cupracraig Paid Member Paid Member

Great progress dude!

dodgy likes this.
  6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yep your bumper has had a knock, its not supposed to be straight

dodgy likes this.
  7. dodgy

Gearbox oil arrived today so topped it up as low, thought that would cure the rattle I had from gearbox end, but it's still there, looks like engine will come out again next weekend and check the clutch, cant seem to get it to work with the pedal, so may be something in that vicinity, fingers crossed.
    Teething problems, just need a decent run at it with a clear head I'm sure.

8. dodgy

Pah, naff day at work, then came home and mrs Dodgy said theres a patch of petrol under the car, petrol tank has a leak, so replacement sourced and should get over the weekend. Tried to refit the fusebox bracket following the conversion to manual, but it hits on the pedal box, as far as can see theres only one late bracket, perhaps it's not compatible if it's an earlier pedal set up, I'm not sure of the age on those. So the grinder came out to play and avoided the petrol leak to end up with a fitting bracket.
    Last night I took the starter out to investigate the clatter, it's a 5 speed box, but was a 6 speed starter, whoops, went to fit the other starter from a v5 box, but the solenoid is offset differently and the hole is close, but not quite, anyhow I've got a picture of the nose lengths of the 2 starters, 6 is longer and fouled the flywheel, replacement ordered.
    Had a weep from clutch pipe, so hopefully that is all the issue is there, need to bleed it yet.
    New vac pipe arrived for fitting a boost gauge, and a pair of fans for the radiator, looks like I'm going to be busy soon.

Attached Files:

9. Savagesam

I’ve got a tank you can have!!! Mk2 one?

probably an 02j starter somewhere too

dodgy likes this.
  10. Finite

Finite Paid Member Paid Member

Result on the starter. Hopefully it keeps going in that direction.

dodgy likes this.
  11. dodgy

Thanks Sam,
    Got mk3 tank fitted, and mate just stripped one he is dropping it round on sunday, and local breaker has a starter stupidly cheap, I'll collect it Friday after work, appreciated though mate.

12. Savagesam

I can’t even give them away. Bloody fuel tanks ahah

dodgy likes this.
  13. dodgy

I've got a mk2 one behind shed if want to start collecting them.

14. dodgy

Replacement starter fitted, totally eliminated the clatter, easy fix there.
    Exhaust blowing, lambda was loose, tightened it and improved but still a bit noisy, will check again but weather is turning bad over next few days.
    Fans attached to radiator and original fan loom altered to suit with new earth wire due to corrosion internally.
    Found some misplaced parts such as boost pipe clamp and heat shielding, awaiting couple boost hoses to arrive, but seems the company that I ordered from ( which is reasonably close to where I live) never seem to deliver on time by about a week , hopefully will be here for the weekend.
    Pressing thing to do is tidy the garage, its looking like an explosion in a tool shop and scrapyard, amalgamation of stripped mk3, brake swap and looms hanging about.

cupracraig likes this.
  15. dodgy

Today's gathering, mk3 power steering rack, and a replacement mk3 tank, plus a good soaking of rain. 20210704_171748.jpg
    New boots, one week old, oil, dust, mud and water marked already.

cupracraig likes this.
  16. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

They're not acceptable until they're scuffed in lol.

Any reason for the mk3 rack over mk2?

dodgy likes this.
  17. dodgy

Rack was because lot easier to find complete than a mk2 and sensibleprice, plus I've gone mk3 widetrack in mine, although will swap track rods for peace of mind so could return to standard width if needed for the green golf.

Tristan and cupracraig like this.
  18. cupracraig

cupracraig Paid Member Paid Member

Dave you are king of the scrap yard!

dodgy likes this.
  19. dodgy

And stupid, was lovely cloudburst in the middle of stripping the car, but still carried on.
    Recycling is good anyway. Even took two pallets as car was precariously balanced so restacked it too.

20. dodgy

Fuel tank replaced, original had a hole in it so if anyone can suggest a repair for plastic tank I'm open to suggestions, the 2 part stuff didnt last presume it was when fitted the flex of putting it in.
    Car back up and running, boost hoses fitted, still have a few things to mount properly:-
    First is the maf and air filter, possibly going to chop a bit off the neck of the filter ( a K&N) so gain half inch more clearance, and make a bracket from engine lift hook on head to the maf, opinions welcome.
    Secondly, the ecu, position in the scuttle void centrally, what's the best way to secure it? I do have a plastic tray it clips into from a skoda fabia, was considering bonding it into position with sikaflex or similar, but unsure if enough clearance now. What have you guys done?

Boost gauge vent has arrived, 3d printed from boost fabrication, very nice, but i have to enlarge the hole as my gauge is too big to slip in, had this problem with it in my mini and had to resize hole for it, think vdo are slightly smaller so would probably fit, no big deal, I'll drop it over the bobbin at work tomorrow and sand it.
    Heard a vacuum leak at the manifold area on the car, tracked it down with carb spray and found a hole in the vac hose between manifold plenum and the tee piece on the block, need to replace that.
    And need to find the oil filler extension for the cap to sit up to the engine cover, must be somewhere in garage, and the bracket for rear right of cover too. 20210709_155843.jpg

Attached Files: