Embarking on a BAM in a Mk2

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by foxyjay, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Classy6 Forum Member

Great progress fella, build looks great :thumbup:

2. foxyjay Forum Member

Managed to pick up a Neuspeed inlet manifold "power gasket" off the bay at cheap price.

[​IMG]

Have today order the long awaited downpipe from our friends at Trackslag.

[​IMG]

3. foxyjay Forum Member

Cue the flames................

[​IMG]

I can't see any reason this cluster won't work in my Mk2.

I got it inexpensively off a mate, so nothing really lost if it's a no-go.

4. foxyjay Forum Member

Downpipe arrived :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  5. foxyjay Forum Member

Have decided that i'm going to install this Optima battery in the boot. Make some space in bay for air filter etc.

Race style battery tray will help keep it from causing harm - These Optima batteries seem to weigh more than conventional for some reason!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  6. turbotommy Forum Member

Whats the Honda cluster from? I thought bike at 1st but noticed the fuel gauge so thinking Integra R ? anyway no flames from me.
    Good choice of down pipe ;) same as mine,no need to weld it in the future as it won't crack.
    Battery in the boot or rear footwell is a good idea,I used a 5 series cable (weighs a ton) and made my own earth,then P clipped the cable down but made sure i sealed the bulkhead gromet in with sikaflex to be on the safe side.
    Going a few steps back mind,make sure again and again that your boost hoses are "perfect" i can't stress how important this is,i've had so many problems with boost leaks even though i thought the hoses & clamps were fine & tight. boost gauge tells a different story when its not right.

7. foxyjay Forum Member

Cheers dude.
    yes I have a battery cable off a modern A6 avant. weighs as much as the battery!

Clocks are Honda S2000 ap1 version.

Did you put a toledo heat shield on your mk2?
    Tdi model ? but what year? Ta

8. turbotommy Forum Member

Yes I did put a toledo heat shield on my mk2 (good memory lol) I used both the tunnel and the exhaust/bulkhead ones from a 1996/1997 SXE TDI :-)

9. foxyjay Forum Member

More parts arrived..............

Front subframe bushes & exhaust joiner :)

[​IMG]

10. foxyjay Forum Member

This evening I treated the gearbox to a massage with various wire brushes attached to a selection of power tools........then hit with first coat of silver paint.

[​IMG]

11. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

This is a great build Foxy :thumbup:

My AGU is coming out over the winter, as i have a list as long as my arm for bits and pieces i want to do.

Will keep an eye on this thread, great work mate :thumbup:

12. foxyjay Forum Member

Thanks boss.......taking time but I expect it'll be worth it :)

Have finalised the gear selector mounting.......trimmed the lip a little at the back, tapped it flat and then mounted washers for bolting rear of selector - then tacked 'em in place.
    Decided to close the gap by manufacturing a closer using some thin plate I had knocking about.
    Bent to shape and carefully welded along the top edge (coz it's thin).
    The rear gap i'm gonna close with some heavy foam.
    I'm going to cover it all in dynamat and avoid undue noise break-in from the tunnel.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
  13. foxyjay Forum Member

Cut some closed-cell foam from a pad I found in the Touareg i'm stripping......and cut it to size / stamped some holes.

[​IMG]

Dyna-matted the closer plate and around the tunnel area local to shifter.

[​IMG]

All back together for trial-fit, and I'm happy to say it fits good :)

[​IMG]

14. foxyjay Forum Member

I've drilled-out the 3mm from internal recess of the actuator on my stumpy f0rd brake m/c.
    Have also trimmed off the metal centre bit between the reservoir ports.
    Removed the original port seals and popped in some off a Golf Mk3 m/c.

All good so far.

The reservoir off the Mk3 golf m/c has the hydro clutch connection so I was hoping this would work.

As you can see, with the reservoir fitted I think it's gonna touch the brake servo once i've fully tightened the two nuts up.

Is this a problem? What are the alternatives?

[​IMG]

15. foxyjay Forum Member

Trackslag downpipe front part attached to turbo all cushty.....

[​IMG]

16. foxyjay Forum Member

The question of finding a cluster solution to Mk2's (and other models) with engine conversions still remains extensively unsolved.

I have been in continued discussions with a friend of mine who is an upcoming gauge designer, and we are still going to look at developing an all-electronic cluster for my car - which we might consider rolling out for others.

How good are his products? well he's just been featured in Fast Car magazine's new product's pages.........

[​IMG]

Here's one of his new products, a 4.3" multi-gauge.........http://youtu.be/Qk2cmCaM9xA

For my own car, the key issues are how to harvest the required data from the engine, as i'm using aftermarket ECU.

If I were using an OEM setup, the data could have been pulled very easily, and in abundence, from the OBD port - which simplifies everything including the wiring!

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  17. jevvy New Member

You have OMEX right?

This is from their site:
    "The 600 series ECU can have any of its parameters (inputs, outputs, and all the calculations in between) recorded whilst connected live to a PC. The results of this logging can be viewed using the analysis tool DATA2000 (see software section)"

Similar to Emerald which is what I have in mine.

For mine I'm thinking of getting one of those el-cheapo tiny notebooks and hiding it somewhere in the car. Hook it up to 12V and the ECU then access it via a local wireless network and remote desktop software from an ipad ;)

Touch screen data logging, dash and map tweaks all wireless from an ipad - simples :)

18. foxyjay Forum Member

Mounted the MAP sensor on a bracket made from a bracket out the parts box.

[​IMG]

Struggled about getting the engine ready to install in the bay, only to find my clutch is useless.
    It's a VR6 clutch but it's from a Sharan which has larger spline FFS !! Grrrrr!!

[​IMG]

Removed a heatshield from the Touareg and got a card template cut out to help get this trimmed to size.....hopefully

[​IMG]

19. foxyjay Forum Member

Made a throttle cable bracket - pinched a bracket off an 8v manifold, and a 16v plenum support and chopped them up / rewelded.
    This will bolt onto the mounting points which support the BAM inlet and the front plate that holds the dipstick.
    Thought about drilling and tapping the manifold but i'd have to helicoil it and I don't have the patience :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Front subframe now poly-bushed and assembled with rad support, all ready for fitting.
    Custom front mount all painted and fitted.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I found another brake / clutch reservoir in my parts bin, and realise the other one I struggled with was probably off an Ibiza.
    The one that sits upright (on the right) is I think off the Mk3 Golf TDi I broke.

[​IMG]

20. foxyjay Forum Member

Managed to get hold of another VR6 clutch and cover plate, and a lightened flywheel which should arrive before the weekend, fingers crossed!