feckin g60...the end? seems so :-)

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Riley, Oct 15, 2005.

1. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

Neil, I could send you a standard, working G60 ECU with a standard EPROM in it to try out. Keithmac has already borrowed it from me and used it on his 16V G60, so therefore I assume it to be fully tested.

My thoughts are: If I was trying to sort out a problem like this, I'd want to establish that it goes fine with a standard ECU EPROM first. But maybe you've had that SNS chip in there for ages in the past with good results... I don't know.

As for the loom, I'd just take the thing out of the car, lay it on the floor, and use an audible continuity tester to check it thoroughly...

2. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

cheers trev,dont want to go killing your ecu though [8(]

i really dont know what to do man,its hard when i need to use the car every day.ive still got the sportline all minted up in the unit,mary is supposed to be selling her lupo and having that.

maybe its time for me to get insured on yet again [8(] and stick the rado in the unit and ? i dunno.

and trev,i had the rado off the road,fitted all the new charger/chip etc etc,it ran fine for most of the day then it wouldnt start after being parked and thats when the problems started. [8(] spent all that money,really looking forward to the results and its just been shat,its no faster,and runs like crap [8(]

sorry,babbling on a bit.

was thinking of trying the fpr and injector harness tommorow,but i cant see how the problem would clear up every time after running for a while. [:s]

so if i try those,and then maybe the ecu trev? lemme know what you think [:$]

and then...phew! maybe time to stick it in the unit and remove all the wiring? [8(]

neil.

3. Trev16v

You're welcome to try it out. With you having checked your wiring over and over I don't see any damage being done. These things only cost around 30 quid from German eBay and I have another anyway. I'm actually going to the PO early tomorrow morning so if you can give me a PM before then with your address...

...christ, what am I doing up at 1.51am?

4. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

i dont know trev,get to bed m8 :lol:

pm coming,but this is the second ecu,after the first seemed to die for some reason [:s]

cheers,neil.

5. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

I can't find that info on the test box, but if it helps we had a mk 3 GTI that had similar faults as yours, coughing and farting at idle, it would drive poorly but not clear at idle [:x]

I didn't work on it but there was loads tried, a replacement ECU cleared the fault, I don't know what other replacement components where left on the car [:$]

if you've had one ECU go down, did it go down straight away, or after a while? if so there could be a wiring fault, possible a short to earth or live causing a spike blowing it

it's only an idea [:s]GOOD LUCK

6. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

cheers crispy m8,all i did with the original ecu was to put the sns chip in there,it ran for most the day,parked for a while,then wouldnt start/struggled to get me home...

today didnt go too well [:x]

went to put the spare fpr on,got the old one off,and took off the rubber seal.

went to pull the plastic washer thing off and it snapped in half(lost the other half) [:x] so thinking i was gonna be stranded i botched on 2 rubber seals instead of just the one+ the plastic thing.

primed the pump to check for leaks,looked alright as far as i could tell(wasnt really fussed if it went up in flames anyway like).

started it,and guess what,fuckin farting and cutting out [:x] [:^(] so it aint the fpr.

if anyone has one of these little plastic washer/gasket things,please gimme a shout.

see red arrows,blue arrow is where the 1 rubber seal goes.cheers,neil.

[​IMG]
    Edited by: riley

7. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

I've a few intact PB FPR's lying around, if you want to PM me your addy.....

8. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Have you checked the engine earths while cranking? Get a voltmeter and put one probe on the engine and the other on the Battery -ve and get someone to crank the car over, you shouldn`t get any voltage showing, if the meter`s showing significant voltage while cranking you may have spiked the ecu?

I doubled up the thick engine earth straps just to be sure!

9. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

tsc :thumbup: cheers m8.

ill check that out keith cheers,i dont dare even drive it at the minute [8(] paranoid about the fpr seals.

neil.

10. Trev16v

I've sent the ECU and I was going to suggest doing what Keith has just advised prior to fitting it.

11. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

wow,thanks trev! :clap: :clap: :clap:
    thanks to everyone helping :clap:

ill check that theres no voltage in the earth side of things before trying the ecu trev,should be interesting to see (again)

with the last ecu,that had the standard chip in and it sorted the problem straight away,then stuck the superchip in and had some flat spots(no farting/backfifing) it was only when i put the sns chip in that the problem appeared again [:s] and seems to get progressively worse [:s]

when ive driven it today,every time ive parked up,ive gone and checked for fuel at the fpr :lol: its bound to go up in flames knowing my luck :lol: nah it seems dry around the fpr.

neil.

12. Bundles Forum Junkie

'scuse me Mr riley, but a word in your ear, i know your piddled off
    with your raddo, but i am refering to a comment you made earlier about
    the raddo being slow, as i pulled out of work today onto the dual
    carriage way, this raddo G60 pulled out at the same time, we both sunk
    the foot to get up to speed and he just f**kEDOFF!!! and it sounded
    evil in the process, Damn i want a G60 now just for that noise[:D]

Slow my butt, liar, LIAR [:x]

lol.

13. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

:lol: slow compared to what m8? [:$] :lol: they pull 'alright' but nowt special,would have been good to see a stripped out 175bhp 16v mk1 pop alongside you both ;)

trev!,feck me,that ecu got here fast! [:D] thanks again m8 :thumbup:

ive just this minute tested the engine block earth,i unplugged the main ht lead and checked for voltage while being cranked.

.14 volts
    [:[] what ya reckon? obviously i havent tried trevs ecu yet,just want to know about the earth/voltage.

cheers,neil. :)

14. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

OK thats not bad, can't think of the last time I've done that test! at least it's not 12V at the earth showing you've used the voltage

with out me reading all though your posts Neil have you changed the RPM sensor with I think is fitted at the front of engine by the bell housing, thats what seemed to cure the fault on the MK3 I mentioned couple pages a go on the stock ECM

15. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Sounds ok, best bet is to take the lead off clean everthing up, grease and fit it back on, nice `n` tight ;)

16. Trev16v

The ECU I sent will solve your problems immediately.

I packed it with a sufficient amount of explosive [8D]

17. Bundles Forum Junkie

VW spec sufficient amounts or vauxhall sufficient amounts? (about a smarties worth, or a fart at 20 paces)

:p

18. mark25 Forum Junkie

The problem with that measurement is that you don't read anything out of the ordinary until you've blown the ECU appart. Because the ECU earth is in parallel with the engine earth straps, it hides the high reistance earth strap fault and compensates for it, until it cooks, because it's not thick enough to handle the starter current.

Edited by: mark25

19. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

not changed that m8,i dont know what/where it is if im honest? [:$]

aye,all earths have been done keith,even had em all off the battery individually,and made shiny with emory paper [:D]

:lol: cheers trev! it went to my dads house anyway :lol:

just getting my head around that m8,what do you think guys? try trevs ecu tommorow? :thumbup: :thumbd:

neil.

20. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Pull the ecu and re-test the grounding first, if you had a bad ground it`d of smoked your ecu already..