feckin g60...the end? seems so :-)

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Riley, Oct 15, 2005.

1. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

PM Jwatts or Mrkrad directly on the vortex - they're the SNS guys, and know the G60 inside out.......

2. dUff

dUff Administrator Admin

I think if it was mine i would be suspect of the timing settings and the idle valve leakage for that slow come down of revs. and be getting a new hall sender for that missfire problem.

But that just what i would try if it was mine , hope it helps ..

3. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

cheers guys,

all the dizzy cap/rotor/leads/sensors/senders are all new.

ive tried another dizzy too,a known working one [8(]

dosnt show it in the clip,but the revs rise more and more and then,thats it,the popping stops and the tickover settles to around 850ish.

are we thinking ign timing?

would changing the chip affect/change the ign timing? [:s]

cheers guys,neil.

4. pigbladder Forum Addict

did u ever change the co pot???mine seems to burn up dist caps quite often

5. vwgolfgtimkii Forum Member

Sounds very much like ignition timing to be honest, chips can advance or retard ign timing aswell i think?, depends how they are set up

6. stevef Forum Member

Riley

the chip sets the ingition timing and the mixture depending on what the various sensors tell the ECU.

If when you changed back to the stage 5 chip (which started the problem in the first place?)I would be suspecting that as the cause to be honest.

I think you are now at the point where you need to get the car on a rolling road for a custom re-map of the ECU.

I know that that will be expensive but might just knock the problem on the head rather than continuing the mental torture you seem to be having to endure!!!!!!

Best of luck!

7. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

thanks m8,i hope this knightmare ends soon [8(]

so does wayne at chip wizards have rollers and all the equipment to measure timing/mapping/fueling etc?

and roughly how much do you reckon it would cost?

would he map the sns chip?

im feckin skint too [8(]

8. pigbladder Forum Addict

h100vw said he paid around 500, its not cheap

9. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

:o:o:o:o:o

seriously m8? feck me!

i swear ill never own a g60 again,feckin crap [:x]

so all these pre mapped sns/superchip chips are kinda pointless really?

i mean to get it set up 110%,buying a chip that dosnt match the exact application isnt ideal?

mmmm,i dunno,i think ill just borrow a timing light and give it one last try,if it still aint right,well i dunno [:s]

10. pigbladder Forum Addict

i dont think sns and the like are pointless...i mean theyre not perfect for every car but near enough for most people

thing is..if theres a underlying problem on your car that no one has detected , then the new map will be written around the problem

i really would put it in the hands of one of the experts..either andy or g werks...i know it could involve a long trip , but you know he will do you right, a day off work and an early start may well have you happy again

11. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

cheers pbladder,

where would you take it out of the 2,andy or wayne?

both near enough,but who would be best to give it a cheap(if possible? [:$] ) looking over and just set the ign timing/c.o etc...?

neil.

12. pigbladder Forum Addict

id go with andy, it may still be something basic

13. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

ill give him a call on monday. :thumbup:

pick his brains a bit and see what he can do.

cheers,neil.

14. stevef Forum Member

I would of thought that the "chip " is an EPROM and as such could be re-used following it being erased but as an EPROM only costs a few pounds it would serve no purpose.

I am no expert but to me, if you are getting backfires into your inlet system you either have a timing/firing order problem or leaking valves. Of course this could always be due to incorrect valve or ignition timing.

I would like to think that from a cost point that it was only a faulty sensor but on a highly modded engine is this realy likely? Especially if the problem only appeared after modification.

Was the engine running fine prior to the mods?

In the world of engine management the G60 is much akin to something from the Arc - blow large amounts of air in allowing a separate throttle valve redirect excess and use a knock sensor to prevent too much ingition advance and a lamda to monitor fueling.

Of course I could be wrong and am more than willing to be corrected. If the car ran fine prior to the mods return it to that state and I am sure it will be fine again.

Hope that is not too much of a rant but Stella loosens my tongue.

15. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

That's about all that can cause backfiring in the inlet really. [:s]

16. stevef Forum Member

Nice to think that I am not always completely wrong!

Riley offers many people help on this forum and seems to be getting a lot of support.

Of course people have sent him parts to help out and from his writeup they pointed to a faulty ECU. As i have stated I am no expert but if the problem lies in the ECU only a return to standard or a custom re-map seems to be the answer. An off the shelf chip may be OK for a modern ECU as they can learn but I am not sure if that is the case with an older system as fitted to a G60.

17. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

it is sounding more and more like ignition timing,ive replaced the cambelt/tensioner and all the head gaskets,cam timing is spot on.

as for the valves,i had it to a mechanic (dads m8) who supposedly said the ign timing was fine,he suggested a valve was burnt/damaged some how...he said i could leave it with him,but i didnt have the money [8(]

so off i went and bought all the gear on my card :lol: and had the head skimmed/valves re seated etc...

i wish i could return it to standard tbh,but it seems the original g60 chip that came with the new ecu has become damaged [:s] ended up like the old sns one,car struggles to rev with them.

and steve,thanks m8 :thumbup: i owe thanks to many others too,like you say ive been lent/sold parts cheaply to try sort this.so big thanks to you all,including everyone in the other main thread that started to get confusing.

neil. :thumbup:

ps:why do you think the problem clears itself? is the ecu adjusting or something?

i think ill try borrowing a timing light from somewhere tommorow.

18. G60 VV Forum Member

Riley, when your setting up the timing, are you just doing it with the gun?
    I had a very similar problem with my Rallye, and thought everything was pointing to the ECU and/or chip! I had it on rollers, had it in to auto sparkies and was none the wiser, was costing me a fortune! Auto sparkies wouldn't do much as it was running aftermarket chip (jabba at the time, later put in newly mapped SNS :clap: )
    Then just before I was going to take the ECU out and send it away, we set the timing up using the mark on the flywheel instead of using the gun, tightend everything up, bang! SPOT ON!!!
    I also had a problem after that, where the timing was jumping BIG TIME! Turned out to be the bottom pulley, on the crank was not doing as it should, replaced the pulley and bolt from VAG (23) (THIS IS WORTH REPLACING!)PLS READ
    put it all back together and she's going like a f*kin dream! (In fact, so good I went out and bought a Road Angel @ the weekend! :lol: )

The G60 is a good motor, and you've got to admit, the sound of the charger is like no other! [:D]

Hope this is of some help to you.

19. pigbladder Forum Addict

why do think it clears itself?

it could be that bottom crank pulley is floating around..one minute its near enough to run right then its miles out

it wouldnt take 2-3 hours to take the belt and all the pulleys off and check that keyway is in mint condition, i rencently did my cam belt and noticed there a few marks on the cam pulley..make sure its lined up propelry

20. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

ive also inspected the pulley/crankshaft and it was mint,replaced the pulley bolt with a dx non stretch type with washer,i dunno why i bother though :lol:

ive never had a timing light to set the ign timing,last time it was done by a lad off the rad forum,who set it at 6deg btdc,with bts disconnected and at 2.2k rpm.

im this very minute tring to borrow a timing light off a m8 of a m8,im gonna double(make that quadfeckindrouple) check a few things before calling andy.

cheers guys :thumbup: