I`m planning on fitting Megasquirt to my MK2 ABF.. Progress in this thread.

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by Nige, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

Got contact details for him please?

2. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

3. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Just to clear up things up as I buy these things all the time,
    There are not any hidden extras when you buy from Glen's Garage.
    See it, want it, paypal for it.
    Postage around $46 for 3-5 days + 25 quid duty when it gets here. Rodney Sport looms are mostly back order as Glen does not keep them in stock.
    Never had an issue with Glen's garage. In the event there may be a delay he will contact you.

4. Toyotec

Once you delete the last option and get another Bosch IGBT kit and 330resistor from RS to work with Q16, you sound like you are good to go.
    Follow steve r comments.

5. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

With the prices shown including postage, my kit a stim were still cheaper. And came in 2 days . Hidden charges referred to duty and parcelforce charge, as i ordered some other bits from the states and didnt account for vat and handling charges. Which isn't usually accounted for when initially purchasing. Not knocking the seller just offering another solution. ;)

6. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

One here, seems abit dear though but depends how quick its needed.

Bocsh BIP373

7. Nige

So is that 2 x Coil driver kit or something different [:s]

I`m not sure if you are meaning to get it from a different supplier. I`m jsut trying to be sure before I order it all.

8. Toyotec

No same supplier.
    The BOM kit comes with a BIP373 as std (Q16) as well as the insulator and mounting screws. You would need another 330ohm resistor which you can get here locally from Radio Spares (RS). To run and ignitor for addition channels, in your case cylinders 2 and 3you would need to tick another coil driver option kit. This comes with everything that was listed initially. It is not a bad idea to just buy two of these, incase during fitting the hardware (coil pack) you make a mistake and render the amplifier/s useless.

9. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

I was saying that when i enquired about the extra BIP373 that is needed to go wasted spark. i was informed that they were on back order. That was why i posted the ebay one. Just assumed if it was coming from Bill, it would still be on back order as he supplies glens garage kits.

10. Nige

AH ! so I need 2 coil driver kits ! I`m with you. i`ll get a spare too. :thumbup:

I`ve sent Bill an email too.

11. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

If there is any questions on the kit, bill will advise what you need also. I think a driver comes with the kit already. But if you go wasted spark, you'll need an extra one.

Found a good building guide here

12. Toyotec

Good man.
    If you do get stuck with this please feel free to drop me a PM.

13. Nige

Thanks for the offer, I am 100% I`ll take you up on that ;)

I am trying to keep it in a thread too, I`m certain I`m not the first person to do this, hence me trying to capture what I need / do in one therad. :thumbup:

14. bens_cab Forum Junkie

just shows you how quickly ms has come along with all these people wanting to use it ive had mine running 3 years now with no issues other than a dodgy tps

it wasnt all plain sailing to begin with if it wasnt for toyotec id still be swearing at the car now lol

15. Nige

To be honest Ben, if I hadn`t had the issues when my metering head failed, I`d still be on K-Jet with no reason to change. I had run my car for 8,000 track miles without issue. The fault and subsequent rapid engine failure has made me look much mroe closely at the fuel / spark than before and hence my change towards MS. Now I KNOW it is leaning out at the top end, I couldn`t ignore it. Sometimes, ignorance is bliss ;)

I`m not saying it won`t be better, but for a lot of people, K-Jet is absolutely fine IMO.

However, I`m looking forward to `tweaking`... :p

16. Nige

Kit arrived today from GlensGarage. Little delay due to waiting for the RS wiring loom, but as I`m in no rush, it was no problem.

I have an ECU ! although it is somewhat lacking in components at the moment...
    [​IMG]

ECU
    [​IMG]

A pack of resistors
    [​IMG]

Capacitors
    [​IMG]

The 12` RS Wiring loom
    [​IMG]

All cores individually labelled at frequent intervals
    [​IMG]

The Megasquirt I V3.0 Kit
    [​IMG]

Steve_R has very kindly lent me his Stimulator for testing during the build :thumbup: I shall be starting to build the kit in a few weeks, don`t have time at the moment and nothing is really going to be happening with the car until after Cadwell, so there is no rush at the moment.

17. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Nice! I am waiting on my kit right now too. So that will be 2 abfs going on MS at similar times. Will be nice to compare results/help out etc.

Did Parcel Force send you a letter asking to pay the duty or did they just send it?

Gurds

18. Nige

yeah, parcel force sent a letter, paid online yesterday and it arrived today :thumbup:

Whats the spec of engine you are fitting it to? as you say, it`ll be good to see how they both go.

Are you using teh ABF Crank 60-2 pickup or via the distributor hall sender?

19. Nige

The wheel is fine unless you are going for high revs, stick to the 7200 limit and they`ll be fine. My power tails off at the top end anyway, so its not a problem for me.

Not sure if you are aware, but there is a `mod` on the MS I where you leave off `C31`, when running the 60-2 wheel as we will be doing. Toyotec told me about it, but thats all, nothing else to swap / change. :thumbup:

20. Ess Three Forum Member

How critical is this 7200 limit?
    I'm sure I have my rev limit at 7300 RPM....not that it spends much time up there.

What is the actual problem with the standard trigger wheel set-up?