I`m planning on fitting Megasquirt to my MK2 ABF.. Progress in this thread.

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by Nige, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

Perfect timing ! Thanks Eddie :thumbup:

2. Nige

19.a The Boot Header {H1) on the board near Q9 is used to reprogram the CPU in MegaSquirt (Added for programming code later)
    [​IMG]

20. Install and solder F1
    [​IMG]

and F2
    [​IMG]

21. Install the voltage regulator U5 . Use heat-sink compound on the tab, and use the nylon screw and nut to fasten to the PCB. The leads go through the board and are soldered on the top side. - Not sure why, if soldered from the bottom, the solder would run through and make the contact on the top too [:s]
    [​IMG]

I`m now stuck, I am at stage 22. To solder for the IAC, which I`m not using.
    Thats fine, i`ll leave that out, but, from reading the documentation, I think this applies to the EDIS ignition setup I`ll be using, I`m not soldering anything yet until I`m sure thats what I need, but I think thats right. Anyone who knows, feel free to confirm ;)

3. Nige

23. You now have the power supply assembled.
    Before you go any further, you are going to verify that the supply is operational.
    To test, install a battery in the stimulator, and plug it into the DB-37 connector on the ECU board. - I am using a power supply and Stimulator loaned by Steve_R. :thumbup:
    Next, using a DMM (digital multi-meter) on DC VOLTS setting, check for 5 volts on the 40-pin processor socket you installed in step #3 (which is empty) - there should be 5 volts between pins 19 (ground) and 20 (+5)
    [​IMG]

there should also be +5 on pin 1 (check against ground at pin 19)
    [​IMG]

there should also be +5 on pin 31 (check against ground at pin 19)
    [​IMG]

and ground potential on pin 2 (check against +5V on pin 20)
    [​IMG]

and ground potential on pin 32 (check against +5V on pin 20).
    [​IMG]

Success ! Thats stage one out of the way and working [:D]

4. Admin Guest

Hi Nige, great write up so far.

with this wiring diagram that you said your using...

[​IMG]

This does not look like it runs EDIS and would not run EDIS, EDIS runs from a 36-1 trigger wheel i do not know any EDIS thats works off 60-2. Also the VR sensor or thoothed wheel pick up on an EDIS set-up goes to the EDIS module, then a PIP and SAW wire go to the MS from the EDIS, on this diagram the VR sensor wireing goes straight to the MS. With EDIS the spark control (the wires that trigger the coil) come from the EDIS module, on this diagram they come from the MS.

I think this set up is a 'wasted spark' setup and you will not need to run any EDIS module as the MS does the job of what the EDIS module would do.

Negative of this setup is that you will not get a limp home mode of 10deg spark advance that the EDIS module will give when you have some kind of problem with the PIP or SAW.

EDIT.

For the wasted spark wiring that looks very simular to the above check out this link here.

And for the EDIS wiring check out this link here.

Hope that makes sense.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2009
  5. Nige

You are quite right. I`m getting the terminology wrong [:$] I`m trying to get my head around all the acronyms for what I am using.

I am going to be running a wasted spark setup [:D]

6. Admin Guest

Sweet :thumbup:

Wasted spark is a good one to run as you can use lots of different coil packs and IMO look better and perform better then the standard setup and you get to use the ABF 60-2 wheel.

Thought i would mention it as if you were using EDIS then your MS PCB would need building differently to wasted spark.

:thumbup:

7. Nige

In the other thread, Toyotec said there are some where the existing plug leads will fit, so I`ll definately get one of those, makes it easier [:D]

I was always going wasted spark, I just said EDIS instead of coilpack. DOH [8-}]

8. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

I have one of these with the plug connector that fits the leads. Not needed as not goin wasted. Will take what i paid for it.

9. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member

AUDI 80 16V Leads fit the For Coil Pack :thumbup:

and they are longer than standard 16v leads.

10. Nige

Build going well. I have been doing a bit when I`m in the mood. Finished the Clock circuit the other day (stop 40 of the build), fitted the CPU and tested the Processor operation :thumbup:
    [​IMG]

I`ve built an old PC with serial port for megatune, connected it to the ECU, connected as it should [:D]
    [​IMG]

11. Nige

Input circuit completed. :thumbup:
    [​IMG]

Followed Toyotec`s changes for the tacho, Tachselect goes to XG1. OPTOIN goes to a 5v supply on the proto area and link optout > tsel. Did NOT have the XG1 jumpered to XG2.
    [​IMG]

Connected to the Stim and Megatune and the inputs work [:D]
    [​IMG]

The switch on the Stim for the RPM NPN or PNP wasn`t fully switched which caused me a bit of concern as I thought I had a dodgy connection, but ensuring that was properly latched and it all works as it should at this stage ! Phew !

12. Nige

Blimey, a while since I updated this. Not a lot has happened, but the building of the MS is completed. Followed Eddies guide for the output modifications, had some help from vw_singh too :thumbup:

Updated to MS1 Extra 029y4 code and tested using the stimulator and Megatune. It APPEARS to be working :o [:D]
    [​IMG]

For some reason I can`t yet fathom, Output 4 is permanently cycling on/off [:s]

The completed board. The wires to the 2 output drivers on the lid need heatshrink, I know that.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next step is to aquire the required connectors to connect to my injectors, to the 60-2 pickup sensor, Air temp etc. Will be doing that, wiring the loom and then start the install ! Initially, I`ll not be wrapping it, makes any fault finding easier. Once I know it is working, I`ll tidy it all up.

13. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Injectors are usually junior power timer connectors. I'm sure they are cheaper elsewhere though.
    Clicky

Bit cheaper

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  14. beetie

beetie Forum Member

Thinking of ms for my kjet abf. Any chance you can get the pics working as this is a very useful thread:thumbup:

15. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Most of this stuff has been covered in my sticky click here.