its a perverse 80's thing........ (update- completed in time for Inters!)

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by bones, Jun 24, 2009.

1. bones

bones Paid Member Paid Member

there must be something about this jetta as it seems that it just doesnt want to be restored! The arches won from ebay.de turned up today and I could barely contain my excitement! Only to find that they had been modified to accomadate larger wheels and have had most of the arch lip removed. Nothing was said in the auction listing about this

[​IMG]

The ebay arch is on the left and the fire damaged one on the right

Bugger!!!!!

2. bones

ok, update time.
    Ive managed to get a set of NOS flares now from the US but nothing much has happened on the bodyshop front. As mine was a winter project, the delays caused by the fire have pushed it back to the end of the queue. Its now just about ready to get welded up and all the parts put back together. Still on the lookout for a minter steering wheel.

3. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Very cool Jetta, something a bit different. Gutted to see the pics of the fire.

Good luck with the project :thumbup:

4. Admin Guest

Hi Dave as you know I'm doing a GTI Engineering mk2 golf I have the Zender arches off the car so I'll have a look at the part number, not sure of they are the same? What I was wondering if you are at a complete loss is there a company that could take moulds from mine and manufacture them I wonder? Not sure how easy this is but these kits are so hard to find nowadays.

Matt.

5. bones

Hi Mat
    Ive already sourced a set of flares. They are 2 versions with the early ones being significantly more expensive at $150, but thanks for the offer !

Time for a proper update now. I went to look at it at the paintshop and this is the first time Ive seen it since the fire broke out. I just stood there and wondered just WTF I was doing!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Its strange how a little time can cloud the reality of just how bloody rusty your car is

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

but then I saw the extent of the roof damage from the falling Mk2 doors when the Firemen were putting out the blaze

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and to top it off there was more of the bodykit damaged in the fire

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Luckily Id seen these rear arch extensions on offer when I bought the flares, so at least I didnt have to hunt around anymore.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I cant wait to cruise around in it, but as i suffer from male pattern baldness, Ill have to come up with some other solution for a mullet........

6. geordiegar Forum Member

Jettas are cool but that is supercool. There was a Golf with a similar kit and Zender Turbo's locally 20 year ago that I lusted after. Good luck with 'joining the dots' on the body mate.

7. bones

GTI Eng did a white mk2 zender kitted demo, but it also had their earlier oettinger 16v 2l in it. Ill dig some pics out if i can find them, but it was for sale at ed38 a few years ago

8. bones

Jecht from the Ed38 forum spotted my car several years ago in a less that happy state- thankyou again for passing these pics on!

Jecht reckons this was 2003-2004

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I bought it from Mick at TopGear Autocentre in Letchworth Garden City who had owned it since '98. The repair work wasnt the best and we've found all sorts of gremlins under the paint

9. bones

Heres a later article from '95 about the GT specials

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. 1550samn Forum Member

there was a lady on jetta owners club who posted bout one of these, she didnt know it was limeted edition and described it as a horrible bodykit and a bad old painjob so ripped the kit off, threw it away andad he car resprayed! such a a shame that onother one is lost. but on a high note love th car man! iv been following the thread on JOC

11. dan_gti2004 Forum Member

Retro!! There is one of these I have seen parked round the back of my local gardening center in Newbury looking very sad for itself. I think It is the same model. It is missing the front end and it has a red wing but the rest of it is the same colour and has the same body kit. Dont know if it belongs to anyone on here?

12. bones

beauty is in the eye etc eh....

not sure about the Newbury one. Theres a couple known about on the JOC site though

13. Devon Dubber

Devon Dubber Forum Member

That is the t*ts!!... love it, will look forward to seeing progress on the resto.

Saw one for sale a while ago, think it might have been pistonheads, really considered getting it, wish I had now!

Well done, hope you enjoy it.

14. gtijon Forum Member

15. bones

i think thats a BBS kit. there is one of these GTs for sale on the jetta owners club forum

16. bones

Heres a more positive update

Popped up at the weekend to irion out some details etc and heres some fresh pics. The bodyshop has got back on track after the fire and prep work is in full swing. There was a delay with the welding chap due to a family illness, but things are movng forward

Heres one of my new sills waiting for a weld or two

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and heres the other side all ready finished and prepped

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The side skirts have both been prepped and simons even dug most of the old crappy paint out of the embossed Zender logo's

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

with the front spoiler also receiving the same attention

[​IMG]

There still a bloodyt great big hole where the rear panel used to be but the overall body prep is well on its way

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still to find on my snag list is:
    a better GTI Engineering steering wheel than I have or at least a better center
    Jetta complete lock set inc rear boot surround
    early tinted green glass- drivers side rear 1/4, passenger front main and 1/4 window, and a front screen
    the lcd screen from the clocks
    rear speaker pods that seperate by twisting
    original gear gaiter
    early gti gear knob
    dash surround

and a heap of time to stick it back together again!!

Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  17. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

Good to see some progress after such bad times, the repair work looks really good so far :thumbup:

18. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

19. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

If you can get the exact dimensions isn't there a way of replicating what parts of the kit you can't source? Might be worth a shout if you can't get it all together.

20. bones

ive the main bits of the kit, but i didnt realise i needed loads of those clips.
    Richard- that cars been about for ages for sale. I was gutted I didnt buy it when I saw the true extent of my project, however, that kit has also been on that car for the same amount of time too