its a perverse 80's thing........ (update- completed in time for Inters!)

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by bones, Jun 24, 2009.

1. 1550samn Forum Member

rocking horse poo!!!

2. bones

bones Paid Member Paid Member

as it seems to go with this project, theres always a cloud to that silver lining. The long drive to York to pick up the NOS side skirts revealed I was missing a Links to my Rechts- in fact I had be double recht'emed.

[​IMG]

Id found out on my previous trip to the GT, that my side skirts had been well buggered about with in the past, so I was well excited to score a complete kit! It looks like at least its only the left skirt that will need a repair, so it aint all bad and Ive got those bloody elusive clips and trim now. There was also a couple of mystery parts in there too. I couldnt work out if they went at the front or the rear of the skirt ???

[​IMG]

The other grill will have to go one hell of a transformation! The Zender grill and lights wioll also be getting a refurb, as I beleive they have been on the car for a very long time, maybe even from new ???

[​IMG]

The first to greet me were 4 out of the 5 wheels that are getting painted. I also have a 6th that will go in the loft somewhere for a rainy day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The best bit by far was the now gleaming engine bay!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The car is al in the same colour primer and its looking healthier for it. Both the sills have been done and all the patching complete

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The mystery that remeins, is why do i have a later VW roundal in the cater of my rear panel???? Some say, that its because its off a later doner car- and they'ed be right. However, there still the original panel that came with the car that was the same. After looking through all the pics I have, it can only be that its been repaired sometime in the past too. Even before the earliest pics before the last respray. It also shows you that I cant see the obvious from time to time too, but I can find the odd treat to adorn it with....

3. smp1987 Forum Member

I think you should get rid of the VW roundal in the rear panel, i think it would look better without it and just shows hoe old it is that it dose not have one :thumbup:

4. bones

I agree and that was always the plan

however............ heres where the mystery deepens. Theres another chap with a D plate Special and he has the same rear panel- no obvious signs of repair. Impossible really as even my '87 Valver is the old style too. My rusty **** could easily be from the neglect in the '03-04 era pics, but when did that panel change on my car?????????????

5. bones

btw your old 10 Million has saved one of its brethren, so its breaking was not alll bad. The missus is well happy

6. Golf Ray

Golf Ray Forum Member

Looks fantastic so far mate. You must be chuffed.

I take you you're gonna keep this very OEM looking once it's fully repaired right??

7. smp1987 Forum Member

maby you should keep it then mate if another one has it to as it is special maybe they did have the badge?

Im glad it was a nice looking car just rotten on the inside [8(] but good it as keped another 10M going :thumbup:

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  8. bones

smp1987- ill post you some pics when i get it all tidy for her

: )

Golf Ray- its gonna be as standard as it should be. A gas flowed head and cam in the future wouldnt go amiss, but as close as I can get it to when it was on the VW brochure.

Its a good standard GTI when you dont want to be standard

; )

9. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

if it has had new rear panel at some point the easy way to find out
    is to look for the black paint the replacement panels have

even in the 90s you could not get early rear panels

10. bones

the rear panel was so rotten on mine. It has to have been replaced before my repair. No matter as its all going back as it should be. Mad to think that as early as the '90s there were no panels left

11. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

i had to have a new rear1/4 and rear panel fitted to a 1987 8v in 1998
    and they could only get later panels and this was the main dealers body shop that did the work

and i remember having a good moan about it

Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
  12. bones

repost

this is why updating threads after a few beers goes a bit astray

Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  13. bones

Sept 20th update

after the double right hand side side skirts downer, i bit the bullet and offered a cheeky bid on a set of skirts on ebay.de

the bid was accepted so im back to having a pair of new skirts again, and have 2 NOS right side skirts for sale if anyone is interested as a spare for their own Special's

im sure something will f*** up though!

14. bones

current update

they are the wrong damn sideskirts! F** a duck!!!@$*~!

now on ebay as a set btw

; )

so back to plan whateverthehellitsletterisnow!

15. damien.wrl Forum Member

Loving it, you are getting there... it will be superb when its done.. got the right clothing to wear yet??

16. bones

strange you should say that but ive given the clothing some thought

17. damien.wrl Forum Member

you just need a big collar shirt and some big shades to start...

18. bones

well, an update is long overdue

I took some pics back in September and the engine bay was getting its loom put back in

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and the gearbox had had a makeover too

[​IMG]

Since then Id managed to find a preiod correct NOS rear spoiler and most of the rest of the NOS badges I needed. The only badge I need now is a NOS or as near as I can get perfect one of these Jetta badges below

[​IMG]

Any help finding one would be greatly appreciated!! Im all over ebay but one just hasnt popped up yet

I also visited a couple of weeks ago and the bay was all but filled with only a few little clips and bits and pieces to find

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The rear panel had its central badge deleted and was just being smoothed over. The holes for the early Volkswagen script and roundall were also drilled using the 16v Jetta as a template (after this pic)

[​IMG]

The bonnet was fully painted and the top half of the boot lid. A few other bits and peices were also all white (insert Micheal Barrymore accent??)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and Id also managed to get a spare fronnt spoiler from Germany which was in better condition than mine. The best bit is that it hadnt been painted heavily and we found that there was a Zender logo that wasnt visable on my spoiler- a nice find! Ill be using this one now instead

[​IMG]

Simon is due a hell of a lot of credit for his work on this car!

19. bones

im also looking for a mint or vgc rear screen rubber if anyone can help

20. afbiker02

afbiker02 Paid Member Paid Member

Looks good, can't wait to see it finished