its a perverse 80's thing........ (update- completed in time for Inters!)

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by bones, Jun 24, 2009.

1. smp1987 Forum Member

Looking Awesome Bones :thumbup:

2. bones

bones Paid Member Paid Member

heres the latest update pics

the shell and most componants are finished in white- topcoat and grey decals to be added yet

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. smp1987 Forum Member

White FTW! Every Time [8D]

4. jettadan Forum Member

[8D][8D][8D]

Looking forward to seeing it complete again.

5. bones

quite a major update!

The shell and panels are all painted white now- just the bodykit to finish. I managed to get a full day on the car a week ago as it was time to map the grey stripe and pinstripe out ready for the atlas grey paint. Excited........ hell yeah! I grabbed all my old mag features and the original sales sheet, browsed the old pics Id taken and hit the road. This was the major turning point in the whole paint job and I wanted to get my hands dirty again (the missus was away in Edinborough so the cold workshop and colourful banter were not going to get in the way this time)

Id also managed to win another set of sideskirts on ebay, and as hoped the left side one was better than I already had and the Zender logo was much clearer- unintentially I now have a whole Zender kit spare!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The first job was to get the doors on and aligned as perfectly as possible. It was the fiorst time Ive ever done this properly and its a fiddly bloody job! But oh so important as any misalignment would later be exaggerated by the dirty great big grey stripe
    ;)

[​IMG]

I also got to see Simons work on the interior of the boot for the first time- it almost seems a crime to put the carpet back in!

[​IMG]

Looking more like a car again now

[​IMG]

We started off with the lower border of the stripe as it was much easier to do and it was good to get our eyes in. Benny was also at hand so between the 3 of us, it wasnt as bad as it could have been. The green tape was used to mark the border and then the rest of the lower section was masked off of that

[​IMG]

Simon found and roll of Go-Faster stripes that were the perfect dimensions to give the 3mm pinstrip and the 3mm gap above the main stripe. It also meant that we could do both fiddly jobs in one hit. The thick blue stripe is the upper border to mask off, and the thin blue stripe will be the gap between the pinstripe and main stripe. The lower border behind the bumpers was masked off with a thicker tape

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next came the first panel join

[​IMG]

and then away we went along the whole side of the car- yeah I forgot to take pics of all that- whoops!

Benny cracked on and made a start with the other side after we had moved the car, and I continued to fine tune the drivers side wing, that is until i realised |id cut the tape too short and had to start again- bugger!!

After Id got my sh*t together, and had redone the main stripes, it was time to shape the end of the oinstripe. I didnt have any really good pics, and my pinstripe was a sticker in some places and paint in others. I decided to taper the pinstripe and work with the shape of the swage line. All I had on my original wing was some peeled away sticker of a pinstripe, and this just seemed a neater way opposed to it coming to a dead end. Ive done my best to accurately replicate the original, but at times interpretation of pics and ideas had to do where I lacked concrete evidence, but more of that later

[​IMG]

And then on with the other wing

[​IMG]

Overall we did a pretty fine job between us all and the masking flows along the sides of the car well

[​IMG]

and onto the final piece......... the rear panel. On my panel (i wont say original because Im sure it isnt. I cant see how an '88 onwards panel gets onto an '86 car without it being replaced before I bought it, and Ive also had to replace it again)
    It seemed odd that the pinstripe should end at the panel line, so we carried it right across the rear panel. My panel didnt have this feature but whos to say my panel was faithfully replicated. Judging the pics in the period magazines, it does look like there is a pinstripe on the rear panel, but its difficult to tell. I think it looks right, and Ive done my best to replicate the original. Im not saying Im correct, but ive done my best

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Its difficult to know how accurate Ive got this very important feature, especially with so few cars left and detailed pics of the finer details. Hopefully Ive got it pretty accurate- bit late now as the stripes been painted since my visit and its also be clear-coated several times. I wont get to see it until its ready to collect which should be a week saturday!

I cant wait!!

6. retrowhore Forum Member

Ooohhhh.

Hard call on that positioning but glad to see you gave it the thought it deserves.

Can't wait to see it done.

7. smp1987 Forum Member

bones this is a epic job mate i wish my 85 was that white maybe one day [:v:]

keep it up mate :clap:

8. bones

seriously guys- the credit goes to Simon on how it looks. At times its he that has pushed me on. Im proper excited about driving to fairly soonm, and hopefully my mate will use it as his wedding car (he inherits it anyway)

smp-1987
    im sure that time will come! You are way more into yours thn even you were with your 10 Million Golf and you really looked after it too

9. smp1987 Forum Member

cheers buddy :thumbup:

10. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

looking good and a nice unique model to restore, wish I had the time, money, space, and patience to do a resto like so many others have done on here...one day maybe. :thumbup:

11. bones

this is nothing compared to many- id call it more of a refresh than a resto. Check out dirtydubbers thread on jettaownersclub for a proper resto- well worth it and a lot to learn

smp1987- my missus still loves the car your old one helped to make good

12. bones

HELP!

the tinted front screen has cracked when it was fitted, so i need an early Mk2 tinted screen that was availale up to and inc 87

Can anyone help?? Must be genuine and undamaged please

13. afbiker02

afbiker02 Paid Member Paid Member

Have you tried VW? I think they had a few when I called about a month ago. Really hope you find one

14. bones

early ones? Ill try tomorrow- gonna be a good few 's and then some- ouch!

15. afbiker02

afbiker02 Paid Member Paid Member

I wanna say they quoted me 140

16. geordiegar Forum Member

Look forward to seeing this completed Bones. I can't belive there were two GT's not twenty yards apart at Ultimate Dubs.

17. bones

im following up a couple of leads at the mo and new are available still but at at 120 nearly, so thats plan bat the mo

i saw a couple of pics on the jettaowners forum of the jettas at UD. One is stari's and i wasnt sure who the other one was

damned miffed that i missed it!

18. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

Thats looking amazing. A real quality job!!!

19. bones

heres some taster pics from when the GT was collected

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

its looking rather spankingly shiney and Im proud of what Simon and the team have acheived!

20. retrowhore Forum Member

Looking awesome! :thumbup: