its a perverse 80's thing........ (update- completed in time for Inters!)

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by bones, Jun 24, 2009.

1. retrowhore Forum Member

Is there an early/late difference?

PM me because I might be able to help. I get clear Mk2 screens (new) for 45 from a source in Notts and could ask about yours.

2. 1550samn Forum Member

WOW!!! :clap:
    been a part of jetta owners club for a good few years and so nice to see one of these restored to an awsome degree. such a pleasnt looking car and lovely to see it in this condition....

3. benthejettaman Forum Member

wow im in love!

4. bones

bones Paid Member Paid Member

the days are ticking down to Inters............ theres ****loads of parts scattered about the garages and sheds........... Am i going to make it??

5. retrowhore Forum Member

:clap: best of luck

6. bones

I did make it and by the sunday, the Jetta was shiney enough to respectable. Its been a hell of a couple of weeks with many long days, a couple of tantrums and ****loads of cleaning, care and searching for mundane fixtures and fittings, but by god was it worth it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Even without any poish being used (i ran out of prep time) The car still managed a 35/40 in the Concours class, so Im well happy with that. More to come about the trials and tribulations as soon as I de-saturate and dig some pics out

7. OSV

OSV Forum Member

its good that:thumbup:

8. smp1987 Forum Member

Wow just wow

9. bones

the pics dont do the finish and sie and benny's hard work any justice. Now all i need to do is fit shows around my stupid shift and enjoy it as much as i can

10. NicD Forum Member

That is fantastic :)

11. PAB

PAB CGTI Regional Host

Nice one!
    Had a good look round on Sunday at Inters and I hearty congrats is due, its ace when a plan comes together this is an ace restoration of what are now very rare and important cars.

Well done!! :thumbup::clap:

12. bones

cheers guys- thankyou
    [:$]

13. bones

at last Ive managed to loose some weekend shifts to drag this car out from its seclusion in the garage. Im off to VW Action at Uttoxeter this sunday and really looking forward to it.
    : )

14. dub76 New Member

Thats looking proper 80s m8 :thumbup: just read through the whole thread looks like you certainly had some ups but mainly downs and respect to you for keeping it going,i think alot of folk would have given up if they had been faced with the bad luck you have had.
    Hats off to you m8:clap: 80s style is cool, i got a similar white golf and wish i could give it the same treatment you have given yours.

15. bones

dont give up on the Match yet
    : )

I went to VW Action Lazy Sunday on the 31st and the Jetta looked fairly respectable despite not being detailed yet. It wasnt the sunniest of days but there were quite a few really nice water and air-cooled cars, buses and campers.

[​IMG]

As most do, I wandered over to see who had won a trophy and I had a few in mind as there was a high standard for such a small show. "The first trophy goes to a white and grey jetta...."- well I was there walking out to collect my first trophy, but as I got to the compare he asked me how I knew it was mine as he hadnt even read the name out yet. "How many other white and grey jettas do you ahev a the show?" I replied ;)

My first ever trophy (except a 3rd place for karting at Ancaster Kart track some years ago)

Absolutely-bloody-gobsmacked!

[​IMG]

16. jettadan Forum Member

Well deserved mate :thumbup:

17. nhoj62

nhoj62 Forum Member

epic mate well done!

18. bones

a team effort all in all. Im curious to see the pic they took of me accepting the trophy as iy was only then that it hit home that there was a couple of hundred people in front of me and i think i looked a bit sheepish
    lol

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  19. bones

Ive also found the pic of me getting the trophy and i dont look half as gormless than i feared. It was handed out by Ramsey and Cowell look-a-likes
    lol

[​IMG]

20. bones

its about time for a pic update

VWNW at Tatton Park was a while ago, but it was one of the best shows I went to all year. Ive never been before so was gobsmacked at the shear quantity of Dubs of all shapes, sizes and ages! Definately a date for next year! There was even a couple who approached me that used to have a Special too and had owned it for 12 years I think. There was really nice enthusiastic people all over the show, and pretty good weather too

The S&S class I was in was basically everything that wasnt a Mk1 or Mk2 Golf GTI, so a right mixed bag. The Golf Mk1 Driver in the background won the class BTW

[​IMG]

It wasnt until ED38 that I got to get the Jetta onto another showground, and it was a great chance to catch up with a few people I hadnt seen in a while

[​IMG]

and then there was some genuiney sunshine!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Its also had a new genuine rear silencer fitted and thats pretty much it at the mo as ive been rebuilding a RE1900 16v engine with Robs help, so the valver can get to CGTI's trackday at Bedford

Im also going to Festival at Pod this sunday so fingers crossed for nice weather!