Leaf springs?

Discussion in 'Mk1' started by 1981GOLFGTI, Jan 11, 2011.

1. 1981GOLFGTI Forum Member

Please can someone show me a picture of mk1 golf leaf springs? Apparently my car has them but I'm not sure if it means the suspension? The reason I ask this is because I recieved a letter from VW(regarding my other post; 'help, I'm being.....') & they said the previous owner had fitted leaf springs but hadn't shortened the drive shaft? & how do you shorten a driveshaft? I thought these went from gearbox to the wheel? How would shortening them work?

2. pigbladder Forum Addict

mk1 has coil springs

3. 1981GOLFGTI Forum Member

So what exactly are leaf springs? I'm pretty sure the suspension is a coil like you say.
    This is from the letter;
    "it was found that the previous owner of your vehicle had lowered the suspension using leaf springs. Part of this process would involve shortening the drive shaft to make the conversion safe. This was not carried out"

I can take some pictures of the suspension if you want but I can only post them to nokias 'Ovi share' website via my mobile as I have no access to a pc.

4. Tall Paul Forum Member

Google 'leaf springs', images

5. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

the Mk1 pickup has leaf springs no?

6. 1981GOLFGTI Forum Member

I've googled them & I know what they are now. Would these be fitted to the rear? As my front suspension is definately not leaf springs, I'll go check the back now & repost

7. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I very much doubt VW have told you about some aftermarket modifications made a 1981 GTI involving leaf springs and shortening driveshafts.

Post up a picture of the letter / email it to me at events [@] clubgti.com - or it simply didn't happen.

8. danster Forum Addict

Is this something to do with your car going back for an inspection after the recent complaint?

MK1 Caddys have leaf springs on the rear. The Mk1 cars have coil springs all round.

9. pigbladder Forum Addict

plus theres thousands of us that have lowered cars and standard driveshafts , only extreme lowering would need the driveshafts messing with

heres a typical leaf spring
    [​IMG]

and this is the style a golf uses

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  10. 1981GOLFGTI Forum Member

I've checked the back & they are definately coil springs

11. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

And what does the Volkswagen letter say?

Send a picture of it to me: events@clubgti.com

I cannot believe they have quoted leaf springs in a letter to you. Are you sure you have not misread the letter????

12. 1981GOLFGTI Forum Member

Like I said I have no pc, I can post a picture to nokias Ovi share website. I can't believe you think I'm a liar, my opinion of you has gone down. Give me a fax number I'll fax the bloody letter to you tomorrow.

13. danster Forum Addict

I suspect they meant to say the car has had lowering springs on in the past, not leaf springs.
    Regardless of spring type, what is the issue these incorrect springs have allegedly caused?

14. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Take a picture on your smart phone, then use the phone to email the picture?

I'm not calling you a liar; I want to see it for my own eyes, because I'm in disbelief - and I'll happily host it so we can all form an opinion on VW Customer Services!

Any specifics / names will be blurred out.

15. pigbladder Forum Addict

i dont think he's suggesting you are a liar , its just unbelievable that any garage or motoring orgainisation would make such a shocking statement

16. 1981GOLFGTI Forum Member

it will not be going as they have decided: (quote from letter) "I feel that Lightcliffe Volkswagen have acted in a professional & couteous manner throughout this matter & can confirm that no further action will be taken in relation to this issue by customer care.
    Whilst sympathising that this repair has proved necessary, I regret that in this instance, Volkswagen UK & Lightcliffe Volkswagen cannot offer any participation in the cost."

17. 1981GOLFGTI Forum Member

What I quoted in the previous message about the springs is the only mention in the letter about the springs. I think they wrote this because they said in my bill the diff bearings noise ('did not change gear oil due to diff bearings noise") when I was at the garage they said lowering a car caused this noise. Hence the bit in the letter about 'leaf springs'.

18. 1981GOLFGTI Forum Member

I'm sorry chris but that's how you came across to me. I access this site via my iPod touch(not a phone) & only have a bog standard nokia, but it will allow me to upload to ovi share. I've taken pictures of the letter, I will upload to ovi share, then access ovi share on my iPod & try to copy & paste the link. I can get the photobucket app but I need an update(which I need a pc to do this) so ovishare is the only way I can get the pictures to you, or fax is the alternative.

19. danster Forum Addict

Hmm, so if they did not change the gearbox oil because the diff bearings were noisy, why did they change the clutch, when the gearbox needs to be removed again to do the diff bearings?

The garage really should have explained this to you before they started changing the clutch IMO.

20. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Ok, shall we do the fax route? Probably easiest?

This eve or tomorrow? I need to be on hand to get it.