Leaf springs?

Discussion in 'Mk1' started by 1981GOLFGTI, Jan 11, 2011.

1. 1981GOLFGTI Forum Member

Regarding the sump, I have had the golf to a friends garage since & over a pit, & there is some sealant on the bottom of the sump but there is definately a plug. I've purchased a new sump, but as I was laid off 3days before new year I am unable to afford the 5litres of oil & oil filter for when it's changed. When I had the job I could afford to go to VW but now I'm on my @ss money wise.
    My friend who owns the garage needs some paint repairs doing on his pug 307, & said he'd buy the materials for the painting, & also my oil & filter, & basically I'll do a job for him & my payment is the sump fitting & the oil & filter changing. I'm going up tomorrow to start it

2. 1981GOLFGTI Forum Member

Chris the letter was 2 pages, as was the bill. I'm just charging the phone now to take the photo of bill page 2

3. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Rest of the letter:

Bill:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

What a bunch of mongs...

5. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

They can`t work out the price of the required new speedo cable until the box is off??

W*nkers, TBQFH...

6. pigbladder Forum Addict

this nneds to be in the local paper or something , young car enthusiast robbed of

7. danster Forum Addict

CV boot change for 150
    Cambelt change for 163

[​IMG]

8. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

And this ^^

VW Customer Services, this is NOT a proud day.

Have you considered drafting a reply letter on this page, and sending back? It'll be a damn sight easier.

9. 1981GOLFGTI Forum Member

A reply letter to VW customer services? According to the letter it sounds like they've closed the case & no more will come of it?

10. 1981GOLFGTI Forum Member

I'm not sure I need to take the gearbox off to remove the speedo cable, I removed my air filter box/expansion tank & it gave me clear access to the speedo cable that enters the gearbox, it's just 1 bolt holding a 'teardrop' shaped clamp/plate?

11. 1981GOLFGTI Forum Member

I have checked the cv boot myself & it is leaking a little, but this is due to not having the metal clip that tightens the cv boot onto the back of the disc/caliper. I've been told I could use a tie clip or would I be better sourcing a metal clip(I have one on the drivers side but not passengers) even if I had to buy a new cv boot, or even the full driveshaft as new I'm guessing it'd be cheaper than VWs prices?

12. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I'm afraid the mention of leaf springs, shortening of driveshafts etc strips all credibilty off the letter. That's your start point. Rip it to bits, then get onto the facts.

You booked your car in for a service and you did not get a new air filter? Have you ever been to the dentist, been told you need a filling, but had it left at that? It's expected.

13. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

Maybe some kind person could help with the letter just to get the technical fact spot on, this whole saga puts VW in a very bad light.

14. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

this is one of the main reasons I never take my classic to a main dealer.... the only time a car should visiti them is if its under warranty.

I would start drafiting a reply letter as they have ovbiously taken one look at your and the car and thought you have no idea and taken you for a ride sadly, hopefully this can be sorted though via alot of banging on desks and generally making a pain of your self with their customer service dept and going higher up the chain of command,

15. pigbladder Forum Addict

didnt some dealers sell eibach lowering springs at one time ? wonder if they can show us the driveshaft mods req?

16. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Here's a bash:

17. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

18. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

needs a bit more on the service. Back to it later.

19. dubboy76 Forum Member

IIRC according to the VW Service Schedule for this car, the air filter is not changed at the Annual Service, but at another interval (as with spark plugs)

20. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2