Leaf springs?

Discussion in 'Mk1' started by 1981GOLFGTI, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

There's either something very weird going on here or a massive miss understanding as this is just getting more and more strange. I can't see any garage, especially a main dealer, making some of these statements. Get it faxed to Chris so we can try to make out what's going on!

2. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Plus your original letter also pls.

I'll blank everything off it of a personal nature, name, address, car reg, tel numbers + will shred once scanned.

3. 1981GOLFGTI Forum Member

They said it needed a new clutch because it was slipping, but as I said in the post my clutch was fine, i don't know alot but would notice it slipping.
    They told me without doing the clutch they couldn't do service/gear oil change, as described in other post.
    I'm not entirely sure why they did what they did. The reason they gave for changing the clutch was nothing to do with bearings etc, these were only mentioned due to lowering/springs/'leaf springs'

can I buy bog standard suspension(standard ride height)from GSF or some other national company, or would I have to go to a certain company?

4. 1981GOLFGTI Forum Member

I'm just waiting on the pictures uploading, it's done 2/8 so far. When all are uploaded I'll pm you my nokia login details, you can go on the ovi share website & login using my details & get the pictures.
    If you want a fax it will have to be tomorrow between 10-12 as I use a shop in town to send faxes. The uploads won't take much longer.

5. 1981GOLFGTI Forum Member

By this do you mean a letter sent to VW? I phoned VW, I didn't send a letter. Or do you mean the bill as I can upload pics of this too?

6. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

Isnt this exciting!

7. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Fine, sounds like we're all sorted. Await your login details :thumbup:

Bills would be interesting, entirely up to you.

8. nealey Forum Junkie

I think a copy of the original bill would be worthwhile looking at

9. danster Forum Addict

Standard style suspension is available from many retailers. :thumbup:

Lets wait till the letter gets viewed to see the situation. Either way, the order the work was carried out sounds wrong to me. The clutch could easily have been left till a time when the box could have been changed for a recon or decent SH one, and thus saving a load of labour costs.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  10. 1981GOLFGTI Forum Member

I'm only telling you as it happens. I take a mk1 golf to lightcliffe VW for a service & gear oil change & end up leaving with new clutch, 500 down & no service/gear oil change. I've only just realised they changed my spark plugs, but didn't do the air filter? I changed this myself yesterday with a replacement from GSF. I had originally booked in for full service(229) but ended up just paying for spark plugs?

11. nealey Forum Junkie

Did they give you a complimentary cup of coffee?

12. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

Could leaf spring, be mistaken in poor hand writing for 'lowering' spring?

13. danster Forum Addict

14. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

15. danster Forum Addict

:lol: Absolutely fine.

I want to know what size of clutch they fitted? Maybe they whacked in a 200mm. :o

16. nealey Forum Junkie

I want to know why they were obviously driving around in a car that they had done no work on to establish that the clutch was slipping. If the faults that prevented them from doing the original work were so bad that they couldnt carry out that work they shouldnt be roadtesting the car imo!

17. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

I hear they can fit all sizes, especially if its a 92 8v...at 1am.

18. 1981GOLFGTI Forum Member

I'm not sure what size it was sorry, it was one of the many questions I didn't ask :(

19. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Right, this is the letter. Before we all launch into this, I'd strongly suggest a re-read of this thread and also the predecessor thread. The guy at VW Customer services is obviously non-technical and has mis-heard "leaf" for "lowering" as danster suggested, and the driveshaft thing is 100% made up by VW as an H&S policy or the dealer, nonsense I've never heard of.

Looking at the subject matter in the letter, IMO lowering springs have got nothing to do with anything concerning the service itself - they clearly got it on the ramp ok:

20. 1981GOLFGTI Forum Member

they probably did drive it the set of c**ts