MK1 Jetta - back home again

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by jettadan, May 16, 2005.

1. andyneedham2 Forum Member

This thing is just mental. I need it. Build it, quickly! :thumbup:

2. jettadan Forum Member

:thumbup:

Cheers Chris, I keep looking at it and have no idea where to start! Bit mind boggling thinking about all the work that's still to do. Just spent a while masking various bits ready for some seam sealer and also cutting and sticking patches of aluminium tape over various holes. Boring but necessary, I think there'll be plenty more of that to come!

[:D] The word 'mental' seems to crop up regularly when people describe the car! It'll be different, thats for sure!

I stopped three times at motorway services on the way home (took hours, traffic was a nighmare) and every time i parked up I had people coming over to have a look and ask questions [:$]:)

3. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Doing the right things so far IMO :thumbup:

Everything now, if it were me, would start to go onto lists. It's a dry build AFAIK, so no OCD absolute order yet. Forget about the suspension, just leave it sat on what it's got, set it up later.

I'd say pedal box & bottles, alongside seat position / eye on gear linkage + engine/box/exhaust downpipe. Then loom + dash.

Things like windows, panels, door cards, harnesses: waste of time, all comes later & nothing to worry about now :thumbup:

4. alexHxC Forum Member

savage!

5. andyneedham2 Forum Member

I go with 'mental' because when you fly past people, and oh how you will, the rear diffuser will make people think they've just bean eaten, chewed on and spat out again. Mmm, lovely. :o

6. jettadan Forum Member

Deffo need to get a list going, but apart from that pretty much the sequence of works i'll be following :thumbup:

Lol, cheers!

He he, chewed on and spat out, i like that :lol:

7. ross_m New Member

This is looking great! Brilliant fabrication

8. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

the car looks amazing!! a lairy car needs a lairy colour!!! Skoda vRS green? or if it were mine... Alpine white!!

Hmm sounds like we are part way to a 8v turbo turbo manifold group buy, or Dan you could just make a few of them. and sell them to me and luke!

9. Marty's Dub Forum Member

Definately, certifiable!

10. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

Yep, I'd definitely be interested in a manifold!

11. Jcaller New Member

I'd also be very interested in a group buy! :thumbup:

12. jettadan Forum Member

Cheers :)

Sambo said white too - i've plenty of time to think about paint!

:lol:

Hmm, will have to start looking around to see whats available. I know it took Sambo a while to make his so making several might be tough.

On another note, done more seam-sealing tonight. Came out of a tube instead of being brushed on and gave a much better finish, smoothed over with a finger rather than being applied by a brush. Will get some more and go back over the first lot for a better finish. Its not mint as its not a show car, but want it to look reasonably neat if poss.

13. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

Manifold we will make for you will be bespoke for your application and may not suite others unless they run same or simillar turbo and placed in engine bay as per your needs

If they want exactly same manifold then its not a problem as we will end up with a Jig so making more will be easy :)

Btw, when are we starting on it? Cant wait!

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  14. jettadan Forum Member

Dunno bud, whenever you want. Need to get flanges n bends first, but unsure on sizes etc. Think you need to pop over sometime so we can discuss n sort a plan of action :thumbup:

Just got to watch the money situation at mo as house purchase going through so that takes financial priority [8(]

15. jettadan Forum Member

Had a couple of hours in the garage to see what i could do with the pedals. Pedal box won't fit as with the M/C's touching the bulkhead the pedals were a few inches further back than standard, and with the seat as far back as it'd go, there still wasn't enough leg room, despite my short legs! The pedals were also quite a bit higher then standard, due to having to get the M/C's to clear the brace bar:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So stuck the original pedals back on, but came across another problem - the accelerator pedal didn't have enough travel due to the brace bar getting in the way behind it:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, decided to shift the accelerator over to the left an inch or so, to give more travel. Will have to remove and re-weld the mount but did a temporary mod with a cable tie to get it into the right position for starters :lol: Then made a new brake pedal - took a clutch pedal off another pedal box i had, cut some bits off, ground a few bits and reshaped it and removed the pedal and re-welded it on to the left. Lastly, got the original brake pedal, cut it in half, turned it round, bent it, cut the pedal off and re-welded it on in a different position, and ended up with this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not too pretty, but with a bit of tidying should do the job. Brake pedal is bang in the centre of the steering wheel and they all have the same arc motion when pressed. Just need to mount a couple of M/C's to the bulkhead from behind and fix them to the brake and clutch pedals.

Other than that, previously slapped some seam sealer around the place to seal some of the joints up after a bit of galvanising paint had been put on:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It looks a bit rough to be honest as the first time round i did it with a brush, so went over some of it again with a tube of the stuff instead, but will do for the time being [:$]

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  16. Mike_H Forum Addict

Car looks great, Dan! Not totally sure about that brace bar behind the pedals though. Does it really need to be there?

17. jettadan Forum Member

Yes and no :lol: Its fine now the pedals have been moved across. I've temporarily dropped the steering down a couple of inches and made a tower for the shifter. It all feels pretty perfect now, great driving position with everything in the right place for me. Steering at the right height, gearshift next to the steering wheel, seat position right and pedals bang in the centre and just the right distance. I can even rest my arm on the cage while i'm driving :lol:

Nearly finished the tower (been at it on and off for the past two days!) and once thats done, got some small tubing to make a brace to lower the steering column and then some finishing off of the pedals.

18. jettadan Forum Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bit rough and ready, but it'll be ok with a bit of powdercoat!

19. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

how are you going to hold your shelves up now? :lol:

20. jettadan Forum Member

I've saved some nails for that! Anyway, the tower is made from B&Q's finest steel, no shelf supports were harmed in its making :lol: