MK1 Track day build.

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by MK1-Tron, Dec 18, 2010.

1. benny Forum Member

Balls! I've got a set of 100 milers in the garage, I wish I'd have known! Tyretraders are good to deal with, I've had R888's off them in the past.

2. MK1-Tron

MK1-Tron Forum Member

Always the way! Never mind, I got a good deal on them anyway. I may know a lad interested in them if you want to sell them :)

3. Mike_H Forum Addict

Car's looking good! When's the next outing for it?

4. MK1-Tron

MK1-Tron Forum Member

Cheers Mike, plan is on the road for 1st April, with hopefully a track day later in the month, looking at Blyton on the 27th if funds / work allows :) Any dates for Curbrough yet?

5. beetie

beetie Forum Member

Curburough is 6th may.

What paint do you use for the engine parts? Etch primer then satin black?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  6. MK1-Tron

MK1-Tron Forum Member

Cheers bud. Yes on the paint dude :)

7. MK1-Tron

MK1-Tron Forum Member

RSR's have landed :)

[​IMG]

Good job I'm not after fuel economy ! :O

[​IMG]

8. Mike_H Forum Addict

[:D] I'd like some tyres please - NOISY ones with crap fuel economy

9. MK1-Tron

MK1-Tron Forum Member

Lol, from doing lots if tinterweb reading I don't think they are as bad in the wet as that scale suggests!

10. rallye20v Paid Member Paid Member

^^You'll find out on the rain soaked trip to Germany.....and it looks like loads of fuel stops as well. Lol

11. MK1-Tron

MK1-Tron Forum Member

It will be fine! Im hoping I fair better that Harper in a 3L VRT and Wilmer in the S4! :p

12. MK1-Tron

MK1-Tron Forum Member

Bit if an overdue update!

Oil cooler finally fitted and plumbed, 3rd lot of hoses! Still not 100% happy but I'm sure it will be fine

[​IMG]

Lots of other bits n bobs mainly messing about! wheels are on, arches trimmed to suit, the 195 RSR's do come up wide!

[​IMG]

Started it and set up the carbs, it don't half rev quick with the new flywheel!

[​IMG]

Postie rear lights fitted (nice easy job)

[​IMG]

Love how it sits on the new rubber :)

[​IMG]

Got no tax so no proper test drive, I have tweaked the gear linkage as second was a bit of a pain ! MOT a week on sat! Can't wait :)

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  13. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

Damn thats nice!

14. MK1-Tron

MK1-Tron Forum Member

Cheers Mart, glad you like, it revs well with the flywheel you did for me :)

15. TonyB Paid Member Paid Member

I'm always amazed how clean and shiney this car is as it's obvioulsy built to be used properly. I couldn't refit an engine or gearbox without scratching something (or everything) lol

One suggestion, from my experience, is that the catch tank would be far better with a tube from the top that then extended to somewhere under the the engine, preferably towards the center line of the car and away from the wheels. It's just they tend to blow an oily mist out through the K&N filter as the engine runs and you end up with a film of oil over everything and it's a pig to clean in that area and I know that wouldn't go down well. Just an observation not a criticism.

16. White MK2 Forum Member

Truely Amazing just read the intire thread and has inspired me to pull my finger out and start my MK1 track car..

Also may i add you have a twin MK1 or closly related... my reg is A478 JKA

17. MK1-Tron

MK1-Tron Forum Member

Cheers Tony, Think I will do that as I do get a mist out of the breather, I do tend to leave the drain bolt out of the bottom on the road to reduce this. So venting through a pipe where I currently have the K&N will be OK for on track to? Or did you mean add an extra outlet to do this leaving the breather in place? Cheers for the advise :thumbup:

18. MK1-Tron

MK1-Tron Forum Member

That must have taken a while to read! Not as long as it has taken me to do! lol I always used to read the Reeves MK1 thread when I was lacking motivation!

That reg is close! I did see another Mars red MK1 years ago with a simlar reg and almost snapped my neck thinking it was my car! Make sure you get a build thread up :thumbup:

19. White MK2 Forum Member

I'll get it started cars stripped and just need to start the process of removing and cutting out unnecessary metal [:s]

Your thread has been a brilliant inspiration, also how do you find the OPB pedal box have heard mixed reviews.

Thanks Andy

20. MK1-Tron

MK1-Tron Forum Member

Hi Andy, The new ones (from OPB) are much better from what I have seen, but mine was very poor quality, plastic clevis's snapping, the clutch pedal bending after very little use and the whole rear frame has bent in the middle! The latter is on my list of jobs to do! need to take it out and straighten the frame out and add some bracing, all the other issues have been addressed as I have gone along making my own bits. Guess you get what you pay for! Should have just made my own! Good luck with the build, it a steep hill but worth it for the end result :thumbup: