MK3 8v Track Car Das Frankengolf

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Adey, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Adey Forum Member

We've just had a stag weekend involving a 300 car track day at Cadwell. Having owned a couple of MK3 GTi's in the past this seemed the obvious choice, What a Rush !!! I'm hooked.
    My trusty 8v served me well and will be going back on the track, however it needs more power and some suspension goodies. So this doesn't get out of hand between us we have decided on 1000 budget on track consumables are extra and 200bhp max
    So do i 16v it or 20v Turbo?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  2. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Another MK3 Track ****

Welcome. ABF is a good reliable step up.

3. Adey Forum Member

I know if I put an ABF I in it I'll want to go faster ;) so I might as well go straight in the the 20v. Is there anywhere on here with a definitive shopping list for parts?

4. Adey Forum Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Made a rear wing for it this week and found some bits and bobs

5. Adey Forum Member

Fitted the wheels and painted and refitted the rear wing today
    [​IMG]

6. Adey Forum Member

Been busy the last few weeks,removed the electric windows and wiring and fitted Perspex, bucket seats and harnesses are now in, I'll be fitting the coil overs in the next week or so ready for the track on the 26th [​IMG][/IMG]

7. Adey Forum Member

I've also lined up a 20v Turbo for it

8. tom.rich Forum Member

Glad you're getting into it Adey :thumbup:

It might be nice to start with an ABF and enjoy the moderate power they have while developing things - brakes, suspension, set-up, driving skills...

That way you get used to making the most of what you already have and can focus on honing your own abilities rather than constantly trying to reign in a lot of power, and by the time you have enough power to get yourself into trouble you'll have a fairly well set up car and will have progressed as a driver and you'll be flying :thumbup:

Either way have fun and go steady with the wing, looks a little understeer-provoking.

edit. Just noticed the "lined up a 20v" bit... disregard the above lol

Nige likes this.
  9. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

20vT it and keep the boost low. Then as you get smoother and want to push on, you can turn the boost up a bit.

Best to use a later AUM or BAM dbw engine. Easy to tweak from stock with just mapping updates.

10. Adey Forum Member

Thanks for that, I've found an S reg MK4 20vt that's giving up its engine, I need to work out if I can use the gearbox and shift cables etc off the mk4 instead of having to find other bits and bobs.
    In other news the coilovers are on, I've shed a bit more weight and it's getting a battering around Cadwell on Thursday :thumbup:

11. Adey Forum Member

Cadwell went well, managed 2.0334 a 10th second off the laptimes of my mates remapped 20vt MK4????
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    [URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/buggyboy/media/imagejpg2_zps54a8c581.jpg.html]
    [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v280/buggyboy/imagejpg2_zps54a8c581.jpg[/URL][/IMG]

So the next outing is on the 1st Sept, the budget is currently at around 700. Before then I've got a set of 312mm front brakes, another set of coilies to try, semi slicks and more weight out of it.
    I found these on eBay in America for around 10, don't know if they'll make much difference but we'll see

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Got these for 150 (tyres don't count in the 1000)
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Last time out my car was way below the 94db limit so I decided to try it without the back box, the result? No difference so I've now got the tailpipe exiting in front of the NSF wheel saving more weight ????

12. Adey Forum Member

Now running 312 front brakes and Brembo pads which has transformed the car, the brakes are incredible!,!
    This time out managed to get down to 2.00.954 so we're moving in the right direction.
    I'm not going to do an engine transplant yet as I feel there are more gains to be had out of the car as it is which I probabaly won't be chasing after if I just go straight for horsepower.
    Next outing is 31st Oct at Cadwell again, I've poly bushed the front end, moved the battery and I'm going to get the tracking and camber set properly this should drop the times below 2 mins.

jamesa likes this.
  13. vr6smith Forum Member

What car did you rob the brake calipers from? Were they a Direct fit?

14. Adey Forum Member

They're off a V5 170bhp Bora, I had to make a 5mm spacer to go between the caliper carrier and the hub but other than that they were a straight swap

vr6smith likes this.
  15. Adey Forum Member

Modified the wings today so the brakes should be kept really cool now
    [​IMG]

16. vr6smith Forum Member

You have moved the wings out??? Do you have brake ducking?

17. Adey Forum Member

Cut the inner panel out and Moved the wings out, ducts are next

vr6smith likes this.
  18. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

Any more pics of how you have done the wings cheers

19. Adey Forum Member

[​IMG][/URL]

Fitted the wing but left the bolt loose in the middle of the A pillar, opened the door and put a suitable piece of wood in the gap, closed the door till the wing was where I wanted it the tightened it up, job done

20. Adey Forum Member

Had the Tracking and Camber set today (thanks Dave for the info), totally transormed the handling I could tell from the first bend also they weighed the car for me, 994kgs so I'm quite happy with that there's room for more improvement there I reckon