MK3 8v Track Car Das Frankengolf

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Adey, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Adey Forum Member

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Picked up a piece of MK4 today so the engine mount should be done today, also picked up a Mk4 rad and fans

2. Marc2204 Forum Member

I'm liking the progress mate. Especially the cage. Keep it up!

3. Adey Forum Member

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    More progress, note the lack of crane and trolley jack !!!! The engine is in and on its mounts.
    The list of things to do is slowly coming down, I'm going to tackle the gear selector box and cables tomorrow. It's looking like the bonnet may need a bulge in it to clear the inlet manifold at the front of the engine.
    It's looking like its first track day as a 2.3 will be Donington Park! Talk about baptism of fire.

4. Adey Forum Member

Gears now sorted, exhaust coupled up and I've compiled a list of bits I still need. VR6 Radiator, V5 engine wiring loom and some fuel pipe and that should about do it I think

5. Adey Forum Member

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    VR6 Rad fitted, bonnet does shut fortunately,I'm waiting on the wiring loom now

6. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

Great stuff!!!

7. Adey Forum Member

Thanks, I'm getting there

8. Adey Forum Member

I had an hour or so to spare today so I got the coolant hoses sorted out and started unpicking the 8v engine electrics from the loom.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Adey Forum Member

Getting there, the end is in sight. Coupled all the hoses up, repaired the loom where the connectors were broken just waiting for the ECU to come back to me.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

I bet you cannot wait to fire it up!

Will be very different for sure!

11. Adey Forum Member

Can't wait :thumbup:

12. Adey Forum Member

As predicted the wiring has been an absolute ****, wired it up as per the diagrams found on here and nothing plus the dash clocks have stopped displaying anything apart from the oil pressure light and the coolant level warning light which stay on even when the ignition is off

13. vr6smith Forum Member

Nothing ever goes to plan. Keep your chin up you'll sort it out :thumbup:

14. Adey Forum Member

I've had to call in the cavalry, 2 days and still nothing. I've got a friend who's a wizz with electrics hopefully he can find the problem.

15. Adey Forum Member

Well, my mate double checked my wiring and it appears to be ok so we thought maybe it's the immo in the ECU so that's now been switched out and mapped while we were at it. Still nothing [:x] So it looks like plan B which is running the engine off a separate Mk4 fuse box.

16. Adey Forum Member

Sit rep. Still hitting a brick wall, it's looking like my only option now is to pull the whole loom and fuse box out of the car and put a Mk4 loom in ?? so far at least 7 days and the services of a sparky and it still won't bloody go.

17. Adey Forum Member

Today I've made progress, however if you look at the car you wouldn't think so.
    Laid the mk4 loom over the car, plugged the engine in powered it up and tried to start it. It tried :thumbup:
    So I've pulled the whole loom out of the car, heater box and all (thanks Chewie). It appears my problems have been ecu's with faulty maps and a problem fuse box. The plan now is to run a full Mk4 wiring loom and splice the connectors on for the lights front and rear and fit a Mk4 dash and heater box to keep the wiring inside as stock as possible.

18. Adey Forum Member

19. Adey Forum Member

So today I've started fitting the rest of the loom to the car, it turns out the ABS pump has the same wiring plug
    [​IMG]

The ABS is coming out at a later date but for now I'm going to try and keep it working.
    Holes drilled in the roof ready for the roof scoop

[​IMG]

And spliced the fan switch and fan wires together so the front panel can go back on

[​IMG]

20. Adey Forum Member

I've got pretty much all the dash parts now so tomorrow I'm going in with the grinder, hopefully by end of play tomorrow I'll have got somewhere.