MK3 8v Track Car Das Frankengolf

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Adey, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Adey Forum Member

Had a few hours on it again today, seems like now I'm starting to put bits back on instead of taking them off:thumbup:
    Started fitting the MK4 Dash
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I was hoping to try and keep the Mk3 column but it looks like it may be easier to modify the MK4 column to fit the MK3 rather than try and get the switch gear and brackets to fit the MK3

2. Adey Forum Member

Did a bit more today, made a decision on the steering column. The easiest way to get it to fit is to chop the bracket off with the plastic sleeve in it and weld on the one off the MK3 and it will fit the MK3 rack
    [​IMG]

Another job done today was passing the loom through the top of the bulkhead, it turns out that the MK3 has the hole already there for the plastic box from the MK4
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Also fitted the MK4 washer bottle
    [​IMG]

3. Adey Forum Member

Steering column is now modified and fitted, hopefully my roof scoop will be painted for tomorrow so I can get that fitted too.

4. Adey Forum Member

Ok time for an update. Work had to stop for a while due to holidays, stag do 's and a Sportrak build but things are moving again. Firstly backwards, turns out the engine I bought as described good wasn't ??, the cams were worn out so the engines out again. This time I've decided to fit the V5 gearbox instead of the VR6 box as the potential ratio issues were niggling away at me. The dash is in along with the steering column and switchgear all I need to do wiring Wise is the rear lights. All being well the replacement engine could be in by the end of this week.

5. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

good keep us updated

6. Adey Forum Member

Engine and gearbox are back together with the cups changed to fit the Mk3 cv's. Before the engine goes back in I'm going to remove the downpipe and chop the cat out.

7. Adey Forum Member

So this happened today
    [​IMG]

8. vr6smith Forum Member

Easy option of a decat... Only a thought, but the pipe widens to allow for the restricted flow in the cat. Slower flow wider pipe is aimed at keeping a similar flow compared with no cat. Just wondering how this might effect performance as your exhaust gas will go from the tight down pipe to and wider space in the cat and back to a narrow pipe heading off down to the exhaust?

So the gas will go from high pressure in down pipe to low pressure in cat void and back to high pressure to exhaust. I would think a more consistent pressure throughout the exhaust would be better. Maybe someone more in the know can answe?

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
    Nige likes this.
  9. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

I`d agree with that. A straight pipe would probably be better ?

Make sure you FULLY seal that hole in the bulkhead where you`ve passed the loom through. It collects water in the rain and drops straight onto the fusebox. :thumbup:

Adey likes this.
  10. Adey Forum Member

The hole is well sealed Nige, I've got another downpipe/cat to play with at a later date if it does seem like the pressure is an issue

Nige likes this.
  11. Adey Forum Member

Well after months and months of fecking about with the V5 to no avail I've given up on that idea, plan A is no more. Plan B involves 20 valves and a turbo

pascal77uk likes this.
  12. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

This all sounds rather frustrating !

13. Adey Forum Member

It's turned into a nightmare!! Fortunately though all the mods I did for the V5 will make the 20vt install easier

Nige likes this.
  14. vr6smith Forum Member

Well done for your perseverance! good luck with the next engine :thumbup:

Adey likes this.
  15. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

Liking the 20VT

16. Adey Forum Member

What's green and yellow has a turbocharger and RUNS :thumbup:[​IMG]

Nige likes this.
  17. vr6smith Forum Member

Surely not your car lol

18. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

I certainly hope you have taken more than one miserly picture to entertain and inform us ?

Look good for a mk3 barge lol ;) you going to give smithy and his tank a run for his money lol

Only jealous as my KR is in bits still [8(]

More pictures please

vr6smith, Nige and Adey like this.
  19. Adey Forum Member

I'll get a few pics taken tomorrow, once the engine is done I've got to find a FMIC and pipe work, make a bracket to fasten the pedal box to the Mk4 column, figure out how I'm going to get the Mk4 wiper motor to fit the Mk3 amongst other things. D Day is rapidly approaching.

Sirguydo likes this.
  20. Adey Forum Member

Using every spare 5 mins at the moment, 1 Month till Donington Park :o
    FMIC ordered, Mk4 Wiper motor mocked up and should be in properly tomorrow, wiring into the bulkhead now finished, clutch pedal switch fitted. More tomorrow, there is light at the end of the tunnel :thumbup: