MK3 8v Track Car Das Frankengolf

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Adey, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Adey Forum Member

Well, an interesting weekend. Firstly my wing does appear to be doing something, I've suffered all weekend with understeer and not being able to put the power down. I adjusted my rear wing to give less downforce and made the situation a whole lot better?? The understeer was still there in spades but no where near as bad as it was. All weekend the rear of the car has done exactly what it was supposed to do and Not once did it step out. Tyres, T1R's are good in the wet at Cadwell but shocking at Donington so I need to look into maybe getting some more wet rubber. The Engine performed perfectly given that 3-4 weeks ago most of the car was in bits. I've got a short list of tweaks do do before It's next outing which hopefully will be in the dry and not a monsoon.

Nige likes this.
  2. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

You need a splitter. ;)

Adey likes this.
  3. Adey Forum Member

I'm on it, ?? Got a few months now before the next outing

4. Adey Forum Member

Oh yeah, put it on the scales in scruteneering and its 1050kg's. I'm happy with that for now

Toyotec, vr6smith and Nige like this.
  5. Bolt-on New Member

awesome photos

6. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

good thread, just read it start to finish, keep it up
    Jon

Adey likes this.
  7. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

1050kg. Lighter than a full MK2. With better body stiffness of course.

Lots of the progress given that you were heading in the V5 10v direction initially.

8. Adey Forum Member

It would have been good to have got the bhp without a turbo however it's pretty quick now so perhaps I should have gone down that route in the first place. There's still weight I can get rid of in the doors and a few other bits and bobs

9. Toyotec

+ plus you can always easily turn it up inexpensively when all the weight has been culled!

Adey likes this.
  10. Adey Forum Member

Here's a few more pics as it it now
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Toyotec

Engine looks like it was meant for there!

Adey likes this.
  12. Adey Forum Member

Like it grew there :thumbup:

13. Adey Forum Member

next outing is the 31st Jan, so in preparation for that I've fitted a rear arb fixed the fuel gauge and changed the gearbox oil. I've managed to find some composite sign board to make a front splitter out of.

14. 1.8T_mk2

1.8T_mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Just read from start to finish! Sounds like it's given you a few head aches!

While I was at the part where you were fitting the V5 I was like...... NO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol Then the 20v came along and I was like.... YES!!!!!!!!!! :thumbup: Defo the right way to go! :thumbup:

Adey likes this.
  15. Adey Forum Member

Yeah I'm convinced of that now, I would have liked to have seen how it drove with the V5 in it though

16. Adey Forum Member

New Developments: I managed to find a set of 8x17 TSW Venoms!!!! 90's tastic, having struggled for grip in the wet last time out I opted for Uniroyal Rainsports this time.
    [​IMG]

I've got my T4 in the garage at the moment for a bit of surgery so the other night after I deemed it too late for the angle grinder I got busy and messed about making Canards ready for when I get chance to make a front splitter.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Weather they work or not I'm not sure, I think the angle may be too steep. I've also fitted a rear anti roll bar off a Seat Ibiza Mk2 I had to make some brackets to bolt the drop links onto the axle tube.
    So on to today, it rained and from the sighting laps it was obvious that the Rainsports were a marked improvement over the T1R's however after about an hour disaster struck. The oil light came on heading up the hill from the old hairpin and after limping back to the pits I carried out an inspection. The oil level was on the mark and there were no leaks so it was either the oil pump or the oil pickup.
    [​IMG]

The problem was the oil pickup filter blocked so after a couple of hours messing around in the pit garage I fixed it. I've now managed to get my Donington Wet laptime down to 1:39.858 which I'm happy with for now. The inevitable happened though I had an off at Mcleans which caught me out and a huge slide at the old hairpin which I managed to power out of.
    https://youtu.be/AhOfS46w-e4

We also shared a garage with some guys from Aylesbury with a Mk1, a Mk2 and a Nova. If you're on here it was great to meet you.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
  17. Nige

I watched that waiting to hear the engine note rise as you put your foot down to save it lol

Sump off on a trackday and back out. Good effort :thumbup:

Adey likes this.
  18. Adey Forum Member

I had no choice, I was driving the car home lol, I managed to save it at the hairpin but that one caught me out

Nige likes this.
  19. Nige

For info, the Canards aren`t really used to add downforce, they are too small. What they do is create a vortex down the side of the car, reducing drag and also making it easier for air to be sucked out of the wheel well.

Ah, this explains it better.
    [​IMG]

sparrow, Adey and 1.8T_mk2 like this.
  20. Adey Forum Member

Yeah, I know what they do or In my case supposed to do lol I was going to make them at the same time as the splitter is what I meant I just had an hour or so to fill