MK3 8v Track Car Das Frankengolf

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Adey, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Adey Forum Member

Latest Update.
    Yesterday was its second outing at Mallory Park and it performed faultlessly ?? Since the last run I've replaced the rear front wishbone bushes with R32 ones as the polybushes had started to give a bit and had the wheel alignment done again. The brakes behaved themselves again with those Brembo pads looking like they will go at least another outing before they need looking at. A last minute addition was a Gurney flap on the rear wing, and after messing with the wing during the day it can make a 2 second a lap difference with too much wing on the car understeers through the Esses at Mallory, it's never really had understeer problems before so it works??
    [​IMG]
    This is the Gurney Flap
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The weather was pretty good for most of the day so I was out on Slicks, now these were second hand (ex Clio cup) when I fitted them, they are extremely second hand now!!
    [​IMG]

Now back in the garage for a check over a well earned rest and a new home made exhaust.
    [​IMG]

Here's a quick vid of my Off, if the grass had been wet i would have been in the barrier, Hard.
    https://youtu.be/1WdtgcKXpjw

1.8T_mk2 likes this.
  2. Notso Swift Forum Member

Oh yes, that had potential to be rather bad

On a separate note, what a useless place to have a flag

3. Adey Forum Member

Yeah it was a bit, fortunately there weren't many people out on track, I think that's the closest it's been to a major off. Cadwell park on the 24th is the next outing, I've got a couple of little mods to the rear of the car to make and then after Cadwell I'll be addressing the front end downforce. Also I'm going to be fitting a Mk4 pump and sender so my fuel gauge reads correctly:thumbup:

4. AjVR Forum Member

Did one of the rears lock? Do you have a brake bias valve fitted?

Good to see this developing

5. Adey Forum Member

Yes, it was due to the rear tyre on one side being completely shot. I've got a brake bias valve but I've not got round to fitting it yet it's just running with the ABS disconnected.

6. Adey Forum Member

Cadwell Park Update.....

This time out I was on the 888's after destroying one of the slicks at Mallory. Again the car performed faultlessly until the drive home where it started to eat the NS inner CV joint, easy fix so it's no biggie. After watching my vid footage the car is locking its nsr brake so I've removed the rear calliper and the problem could be the pads, the surface feels very harsh. They are Pagids which have been in for a year now without any issue, there's loads of meat left on them so I'm going to try a set of Brembo pads and see if the problem is resolved. As for my talent it ran out at Park when I ran a bit wide on the exit, put a wheel on the grass and spun.

7. Adey Forum Member

8. Adey Forum Member

9. Symee New Member

Hi Adey!

I like your bumper spoilers (small side wings). Could you help me where can i buy same pieces?

[​IMG]

10. Adey Forum Member

I made them, however while I'm replying I've had another day out!! Donington Thunder in the Park. Again the car ran faultlessly YAY !!! It never really dried out on the Saturday so it was the Uniroyals all day I managed a 1.40 without taking too many risks. However on the Sunday (I wasn't there) a guy rolled his Clio and smashed into the Armco at craner and is in a bad way.

11. Symee New Member

Thanks, probably I'll try it.
    How much faster, better your car than abf 16v on the track?

12. Notso Swift Forum Member

Symee, they are called carards, just search eBay

13. Adey Forum Member

Roughly 3 seconds faster in the wet round donington than my mates 16v ABF

14. Symee New Member

Thanks Notso, Thanks Adey!

15. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

Nice to see after the initial engine woes that this is running well now :thumbup:

16. madmanmart Forum Member

Nice car, I'm going Oulton park on the 14th Jan if you fancy it?

17. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

Me too :)

18. madmanmart Forum Member

Cool, see you there.

19. Adey Forum Member

Got a few pics from Donington, I've just replaced the driver seat with something more purposeful and purchased a HANS device from the Autosport show
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. samjv New Member

Hi, you were running 17" on stock 2.0 8V? How doest it feel? Wasn t it so much for 2.0slow? I am runnin 195/45R16 now, but it is not enought, gonna try 215/40 and then I would like to go 205/40R17, but how does the car feel with 17"?? I am so afraid that 8V could feel less powerful. With stock 195/50 R15 it was pulling sooo hard in 2nd [:D] [:D]