MK3 8v Track Car Das Frankengolf

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Adey, Mar 31, 2014.

1. sava001006 Forum Member

I seen this is at the track for the first time yesterday and I must say you had some pace, I should have popped in and had a natter but I seen you under the car and you looked busy. I got taking to the other guys in your garage as they were impressed at my friends spin off btw I was the guy with the dark blue golf :)

Adey likes this.
  2. Adey Forum Member

Was I swearing? lol

3. Adey Forum Member

Not much to add really, after the blockage last month I've flushed the engine and treated it to new oil, oil filter, and a set of plugs. That's pretty much it now before Donington.

4. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

Not tempted to drop the sump and check for debris again ? Just wondering where it came from. I`d hate it to happen at Donington again !

I had the OEM plastic `baffle` come loose, wear on the crank and block the filter. After cleaning, that would have blocked again if I hadn`t removed it

5. Adey Forum Member

No, it was thick oil and silicone from when the sump had been off at some point before. I've tipped petrol through it too while the bung was out to make sure everything had come out. It should be all good now

Nige likes this.
  6. Adey Forum Member

Well the bug struck again, a few laps in and the oil light came on again and the engine sounded like a tractor. Instant reaction was to swap the engine again however after thinking about it for a while when I got the car home the engine sounded ok again so I'm going to swap the oil pump and put a new pickup on it and while I'm at it fit a baffled sump. Before it went wrong it was going at quite a pace.

7. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

Hopefully that'll sort it and nothing to serious has been done :thumbup:
    Donnington is brilliant compared to airfield tracks .[:D]

8. Adey Forum Member

Had a few minutes this afternoon so I've pulled the sump off, there's some debris on the pick up not enough to block it again and there's no discolouration on the main bearings so hopefully it's the pump that's playing up [​IMG]

9. Adey Forum Member

Right, where to start. After putting the thing back together again it managed less than 5 miles and knocked the bottom end out so the engine has been out again.
    So it's now got a baffled sump, VR6 clutch and lightened G60 flywheel, I finished the job today and took it on an extended road test and I'm pleased to say the GiT is back?? So time to get back on track.

1.8T_mk2, Sirguydo and Nige like this.
  10. Nige

Good to hear it`s running again !

Although I bet you were gutted that it only lasted 5 miles after the previous rebuild.

11. Adey Forum Member

Yeah it did **** me off, just booked a trackday at Mallory in August so I've got plenty of time to use the car on the road before then. I might even start on the splitter

12. Adey Forum Member

I've managed to get a Carbonfibre bonnet for 60 ?? It is a bit battered but it's another sizeable weight saving

13. Adey Forum Member

So Mallory Park, I wasn't sure if I was going to enjoy the track if I'm honest however I LOVED IT. Gerard's what a rush and the hairpin!!! the car ran faultlessly all day managing at the end of the day to be the fastest of our group. This was my first time out on slicks and WOW what a difference!! I thought the 888's were impressive. I managed to hold my own with a Lotus Elise on one stint which impressed me and had a great tussle with a 225bhp TT. Pics soon.

Nige likes this.
  14. Adey Forum Member

15. Nige

What size wheels do you run ?

Great to see it ran without issue this time ! :thumbup:

16. Adey Forum Member

It's on 17's

17. 1.8T_mk2

1.8T_mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Lucky escape for that fiesta [:s]

Perfect weather for it.

18. Nige

Did you do anything to correct the geometry changes from running such large wheels?

I looked at 17's, the larger tyres and ability to fit larger brakes obviously appealed, but the suspension changes necessary meant it wasn't feasible for me.

Any oil pressure issues at Mallory? That long right hander shouldn't be an issue, before my baffled sump, I tended to only get surge on left handers or chicanes etc.

19. Adey Forum Member

I had the geometry done after the 17's went on, the oil light came on once when the engine was quite cool. But it went out again and didn't come on again, I'm going to fit an oil pressure gauge just to see what's going on. The baffled sump seemed to do the trick. The oil cooler and associated ducting I fitted seems to be doing the trick with the oil temp going no higher than 120 degrees

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
  20. Adey Forum Member

Last edited: Sep 3, 2016