new cars and depreciation

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by Matt82, Apr 24, 2007.

1. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

just got an email come round at work, daily information etc etc in there was a forsale section.

2/3 year old car which has lost 10k (i think that the sale price is optimistic too).

why do people buy new cars knowing full well youre just burning cash.

utterly crazy.... and on top of that, youve had to drive a TRAJET for 3 years (no idea about the car but the name says it all)

unless i was absolutely minted, i could never justify a brand new car

2. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

Aren't we EVER SO silly?!

3. JettaTDi

JettaTDi Forum Member

If people are in a position to buy a new car, fair enough, no doubt the most of them are well aware how much they will lose on a car.

I wish I had the money of my own to be in a position to buy a new car.

The only reason my wife and I have a new car, is due to the fact that it being a company car, thus I don't have to worry about the losses that will be made on the car.

But it is rather nice to drive a brand new car, every 3 years. Sorry if that sound big headed, it wasn't meant too.

Think about it, you should be happy people go out and buy new cars, as they will loose the initial losses rather than you, when you buy the car several years down the line.

4. The db

The db Forum Junkie

I would never splash my own cash on a new car.

People like my mum buy new cars (and then complain about old cars like mine).

5. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

i can lose a max of a couple grand on mine lol

6. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

Well weirdly, we got a better deal on a brand new Astra than we could get on nearly new ones - Work that out!!!

Total reliability (of service as well as the car itself) is paramount to us - So a warranty, good roadside cover, etc are vital - There's also that balance of having a car that's not too shabby for client visiting but not too flash but I'd say whatever you have, getting something newish is a good move.
    New cars are also a lot safer - Better brakes, loads of airbags, ISOFIX for kiddy seats, etc and the latest diesel engines kick the backsides of older one.

All in all buying new made sense this time - New on the Saxo VTR was very dumb and very nearly new on the R32 was a bit foolish too.

7. G-Man Forum Junkie

I'll always buy 2nd hand cars unless i fall rich.

I mean 4-5k seems to get you a great car now at around 3-4 years old which is not bad as most of the depreciation has been hit.

The most i'd spend on a 2nd hand car now is 12k which would either be a 2 year old Seat Leon Cupra R or an Audi S3. Now thats lots of car for your money considering people pay 13k for a Vauxhall Astra (basic petrol for sutherland) ;)

8. Andy947 Forum Addict

I've just bought another 'nearly new car',

Traded in the GF's Polo 1.2, got 5400 for it, paid 7000 14months ago 6months old, only we saved over 1500 on list, so effectively halved the depreciation.

The 'new' car i've just bought is a 1.4 16v Seat Ibiza Sport, 07 plate, delivery miles, 1200 off list price, very happy with that deal.

All those who say buying a new or nearly new car is madness cos of the depreciation only say it cos they cant afford it ;)

I dont want 2 cars that get used everyday which will break down, need MOT's and other thing, so new or nearly new is by far the best way to go.

Some ace deals out there on new cars too, just got to be clever and get a spot on deal to minimise depreciation.

9. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Or just buy an old one and not bother about it....... my longest-lived car ever is my current Mk2 valver, 18 months old. Changed plugs, oil, filters etc. when I got it and haven't paid out a penny on it since except for consumables!
    And yes, it looks like a box of shiite, but that's mainly because it gets washed about every 6 months when I treat it to the FULL ON 5 soap job at the local car wash........

10. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

What happen to your Polo Gti? Or is this just for your missus?

11. sportline Forum Junkie

*******s!! anyone, ok not anyone, but anyone working can afford a new car.

i agree that its nice to have new cars for reliability and the fact its, well, new. but i dont particulaly like new cars. some are ok, but i actually drive a mk1 gti because i really actually like them. my mates dont seem to understand this fact. i could go and buy a mk5 gti tommorow, but for me, it would be a waste of 20k, because for 2k i can get a mk1 and they look nicer:p

12. Seraph Banned

and fall apart sooner[:D]

13. Andy947 Forum Addict

Still Got the Polo GTI, and the MK2, this is just the GF's car.

14. Claypole Forum Junkie

If someone can afford and wants a new car then good on them. :)

I just see all the spanking new MK5 Golf TDI's on the motorway as company cars and think "super" sooner they hit the market MK4's might not be such stupidly retarded money... :lol:

15. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

Where does the "you can get such and such a car for the price of a new "whatever" stop then?

You can pick up an old M5 for well under 10k but it will be totally shagged out.
    E46 M3s are new slipping below 20k but it'll have big mileage and cost a fortune to run. Scoobies are 4k now if you want a knackered chaviot.

And the list goes on and on and on.

There's something very reassuring about having a newish car under warranty that's safe and reliable - Went for a surf in horrible weather last night and the Astra was about the only car I wanted to be in - Quick, safe, reliable and good heaters plus the boot door keeps you dry when you change!

16. ViCk Forum Member

If I was filthy rich, I would buy a brand new car, but not a crappy polo etc, something like a brand new M3 or something on that level.

Right now, you can get fantastic second hand cars for not much .

17. Seraph Banned

reserved for pikeys.

18. stella

stella Forum Junkie

Hyundais, in my limited experience, are pretty crap, but probably do for people who must have a new car but can't afford a decent one. My friend gave hers away becuase she couldn't get rid of it in the end.

No doubt the buyers of these cheap cars realise that they'll be worth zilch in a couple of years. Although 17K wasn't particularly cheap in the first place, was it?

[​IMG]

Autotrader is not very impressed by it

"The Trajet is let down by the base 2.0-litre engine which struggles to maintain speed on inclines ....."

So added to how ugly it is, I'm surprised they're looking to get 7K for it!

19. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

i think they come with a fairly good warrenty with free servicing just to get them out of the showroom. i suppose theyll do the trick for people who know nothing about cars and want 'as little hassle as possible'.

a second hand bimmer (as an example) would do the role just as well and and probably be less likely to break down, be sellable after and worth more than a packet of crisps

i cant see why people would do it, unless they really feel the burning need to have a new car lol

20. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

Matt - It's a lot easier to buy a new car for those not "in the know" - The thought of traipsing around forecourts or private ads terrifies many - They want a brochure, some boxes to tick and a nice man to sort out the finance for them.

For those "in the know" (hopefully I'm included in that) it's just nice to be covered by warranty, nice to be certain the car hasn't been thrashed or crashed (although I can usually spot these in a 2nd hand car), nice to drive around in something a bit different (which a new car usually is if you buy it when first out like we did) and nice to have something nice and "cutting edge". I've liked most of the cars I've had, both 2nd hand and brand new but it's hard to beat getting into a brand new car with 5 miles on the clock knowing it's yours.