new cars and depreciation

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by Matt82, Apr 24, 2007.

1. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

and not have the hassle of having to check oil from time to time and tyre pressures and the niggling thought in the back of your head "that bush ought to get done soon..."

lol

saying that though, i know a woman with a new daiwoo thats been nothing but hell since new.

id say youd have to be just as careful buying new. at least with an astra its a good mainstream car so more likely to actually be good

2. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

Hmmm - I'd have been wary of any older Astra.
    It's taken Poxhall a hell of a long time to actually build a car properly - I'd never have considered one until the mk5/H came along.
    Same with Ford - Only recently got their manufacturing sorted out.

If I was buying a car over three years old, it would be German or Jap, but under three years old and the mainstreamers really have sorted themselves out (mostly).

Agreed though - Even with brand new cars (yep - Even German and Jap) it seems all too easy to get a lemon - A Director I know who is in charge of his company car fleet of 70 vehicles has just binned Audi for Volvo because the Audis kept breaking down (mostly high end A4s and A6s)!!

3. gorilly Forum Member

I wouldn’t buy a new car, I would lease it. The money you spend leasing it each month is the same amount you loose in depreciation

4. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

So what's the advantage of leasing if it costs the same?!

5. MillzeeGTI New Member

there are reasons, i bought a brand new leon cupra r as at the time 1 year old ones were going for about a grand less add a service, couple of new tires etc and you might as well get a new one. 3 years down the line i reckon i have lost 6k on it. was it a good idea perhaps not but there is nothing like having a brand new car and its cost me nothing the 911 i sold was begining to be a money pit.

6. kerrly Forum Member

but cost peanuts to put back together and you can do it on your own driveway;)

Plus you know it wont depreciate much if at all if you keep it in good condition.

For what people with new cars lose in depreciation people with older cars can afford to spend on spares/repairs when needed...

What about people buying cars on finance... I know friends who bought cars on finance which end up paying back the cars worth and 20% or more on top over 3 years and are left with a car worth a couple of grand - is that such a bargain.........

7. gorilly Forum Member

• no ties
    • maintainance is often included, tax is paid for in some scemes
    • you get another brand new car
    • your not stuck with a car worth a lot less than what you paid for it

pcp is slightly different

when you own a new car, you just lose money. its not exactly what i'd class as an investment.

so you pay 20. its worth 17 by the time you are home. three years down the line its worth 10. over the 3 years you have paid for servicing, tyres, other general bits and bobs.

New cars are for the rich, the stupid and company cars. nearly new eg. a year or two old is a much better option as it has already dropped in money

then again its also how you look at it. i would rather own an old car and put time and effort in and call it my 'own' than own a new car as i have in the past and it just depresses me.

if you look at it as a 2 or 3 year rent then who cares when some stupid bint drives into the back of you?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2007
  8. The db

The db Forum Junkie

I had my first car brand new. Didn't have to fix a thing for 4 years and then in the fifth year everything started going wrong (it was only on 25k miles still).

"They don't make them like they used to" can be applied to all modern products imo. Manufacturers make things with a short shelf life in the hope they can rape you for pocket money every 5 years or so. Granted some cars do last, but I often find that people that buy new cars generally dont look after them all that well as they will just buy a new one in 5 years time and probably trade the car they just paid alot of money in for sod all money to a stealership.

Plus there is this whole "drive sensibly and bed the engine in thing" which is sooo boring if you have something like a GTI that you want to thrash about, although im sure somebody will bring up the theories regarding new engines and bedding in etc.

9. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

Gorilly, patronisation and insults aside, you are actually talking complete bo77ocks.

You think leasing companies do it for the love of their customers?
    Do they f**k.
    They make a lot of money off their customers - I've looked into all sorts of HP, leasing, etc and it's a rip off - Don't have to pay for damage? Yes you do through nasty monthly payments.

NO cars are an investment (save for a very small number of rare ones) - Even your sacred Golf probably costs a bomb in maintenance and sky high insurance premiums.

You sound like a bitter little tool who resents anyone who buys a new car - I'm sure you'd NEVER have a new mk5 GTi/R32 if you could afford it? Of course not.

Pillock.

10. The db

The db Forum Junkie

I presume the offence taken was at the "stupid" comment.

Some people will always buy new cars, others will never buy new cars. Some people will never buy a 2nd hand car (like my mum), others will always buy a 2nd hand car.

Swings and roundabouts - each to their own.

11. Andy947 Forum Addict

You can buy an utter shed of a secondhand car that will cost you thousands and still depreciate.

As i said, those who cant afford to buy new will ALWAYS say buying a new or nearly new car is daft.

Most people on here modify their cars, now THAT is proper depreciation, even if you break a car for the parts you take a MASSIVE hit on thep purchase price

I'll personally have a New car and a money pit MK2 for modifying fun ;) :p

12. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

Andy - Nail on head.

13. sportline Forum Junkie

ye mk1's allways need money spending on them, mines ok so far but i bet over the next 2 years it'l cost me the same as buying a nearly new car.

my point was that andy said only people who cant afford new cars thinks its a waste of money, he's wrong. in my case i just dont want one. my car wil cost me just as much but i prefer it.

can totaly see why some would. maybe in a few years i will.

new cars do seem to cost alot for servicing though ive noticed. espeacially the likes of audis and bigger tdi engines. of course i do mine myself so its hard to compare costs like that.

ive allways said, all cars cost daft money, so whichever way you go, your not really saving much.

14. sportline Forum Junkie

example of costs of service. my mate did my cambelt, mk1 gti. took him half an hour, didnt even charge me.
    he had another car in, audi 2.5 tdi, needed the same, cambelt and service. i'm sure he said it was costing a grand. i was quite shocked.

15. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Who just turned back the clock to Club GTI forum in the days when Matt had his R32 :lol: :lol:

16. Seraph Banned

however, by use of poor anaology, thats like saying how much would it cost to renovate a 70s bungalow compared to a 6 bedroom 90s hi-tec eco home!

17. gorilly Forum Member

please re read my post, i said HOW YOU LOOK AT IT

you are right no car is an investment, leasing isnt for the love of the customers. but it is an easy option.

like i aslo said if you are rich then its ok.. yeahif i had 30k im my pocket i would buy a mk5 r32... but i dont save that much and i would rather put 30k into a house

i could probably afford a mk5 gti on monthly finance... but i would begrudge every sinlge month watching that money go out and then when i come to sell the car the ammount its lost.

my golf isnt scared, it cost me less than 200 a month i would say in actual maintainance if i worked it out over a year - but i am happy with it, and its just a bit of fun really.

all i can say is when you come to sell your stupid little astra after your kids have spilt their ice cream over the back seats and it has a few dents from the sainsburys car park someone will be able to go to trade sales and buy a much better example for less money than what you will be asking.

and you will just look at it and think i spent XXX on that... now its worth XXXpence. if you had leased it, after 3 years you just give it back and think ohh well good times had by all, cost me a bit but no hassle.

my brother has owned a vectra for 3 years now. if it was his he would have lost over 50% on it. its got more problems than iraq, scrapes here and there. but its a company car, so he hands they keys over in a few months, no more said or done about it. im sure if he had bought the car and spent all that inital money on it he would be feeling rather sick now at its current value.

i know probably a good ten people who in the last 5 years have bought brand new cars. not one of them has done it again or said they would do it again. you lose out on all cars, but much much more buying it brand new.

my golf cost me 1500. i like the car, its fun to drive, im learning about cars fixing bit here and there. it will never be worth anything i know that but thats not whyi own it

so imo, your the Pillock - and there was no need for you to be so rude in your post. i fully understand leasing / finance plans - i just also fully understand the real cost of owning a new car. just because you dont agree with my opinion doesnt mean im talking bo77ocks.

as DB said Some people will always buy new cars, others will never buy new cars. Some people will never buy a 2nd hand car (like my mum), others will always buy a 2nd hand car.

i will never buy a car which is brand new, the newest i would go for is second owner or exdemo. unless i win the lottery... or unless like MillzeeGTI said, somecars do hold value and its cheaper to get a new one with service deals or one not needing a service. i looked at cupras (tdi150) and it was the same story. infact i saw new ones cheaper than 2nd hand ones!!!!
    im waiting about another year or two before i start to look at mk5 gtis because by then depreciation will have hit and i will buy a good car for decent money [:D]

18. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

Gorilly - You called me and most other new car owners "stupid" with a half baked little tale of woe - You then called me stupid again and wittered on trying to justify your bitterness.

So when does "stupid" stop and "rich" start then - I should think a lot of new car buyers are a lot cleverer than you and your "scared" Golf (does it cry often?)

You are a waste of space and so I will now ignore you and you're moaning little commie rants.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2007
  19. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

i think you got the wrong end of the stick on this one. he didnt call you stupid

or you stroppy because he didnt call you rich?

LOOOOOOOOOADS MONEYYYY

20. WEZ

Wez Official Friday thread starter

wtf! :lol: