new cars and depreciation

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by Matt82, Apr 24, 2007.

1. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

The db - Looks like we are.

Spec will be:

Off road grey metallic.
    174PS.
    4Motion.
    Awning.
    Parking sensors.

And that's about it - Rather excited!

2. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

just found this thread after doing a quick search, some people crack me up - namely sutherlandm.......... so funny.....

3. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

I don't even listen to myself now when I get excited about a potential new car.

Anyway, I'm glad we didn't get it -that Summer was terrible. Will wait until our 50s I think.

Just extended the warranty on the Ashtray and got the Jimny - will get a new surfboard soon instead...:lol:

And maybe an RC car too.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2008
  4. D11BBA

D11BBA Forum Member

If new cars are so cool, why do people who drive them look so enviously at the VW classics that we drive. [:s]

5. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

Oh yes, of course!

It's not envy, it's just respect - still like seeing a tidy mk1 or mk2.
    But did that many years ago and although fun, it was hard work. :lol:

6. D11BBA

D11BBA Forum Member

From 2000 till 2005 I had seven new cars. Enjoyed them all but at a huge cost, obviously mostly depreciation. Even the Audi's I'd bought lost unacceptable amounts of money. The Dubbs I own now appreciate every year, are as good or better to drive than the new cars and in truth cut out completely the "keeping up with the Jones's" bit. My kids actually reckon that we now have the coolest car's in the district......who am I to argue :lol:

7. N/B

N/B Forum Member

Sportline - possibly the most naive statement I've read on this (great) forum so far.
    Why on earth do you think this country is in such deep economic sh*t?
    It's not just from the US mortgage defaults - we've had too much credit thrown at us for far too long, and now we're gonna feel the pain.

Never mind, console yourself by getting down to Bright House and buying a rubbish LCD TV on 45% APR finance. Hell, stop by the dealership and pick me up a new AMG on the way home.

8. D11BBA

D11BBA Forum Member

As a side issue, how the F**k can this dreadful goverment stand by and watch unfortunates get shagged by Dimhouse charging 45% [:x] New Laboured Cnuts

9. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

What was possibly naive about his statement that anyone working can afford a new car? 30 a week is within the reach of anyone with a job. Nobody mentioned the state of the economy, mortgage defaults or LCD TVs at all, so stop being a f*cking prick...

10. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

agreed any one who works could afford to buy a new car, and I personally think that any one that lives within their means and can keep up the payments can afford it - how many people actually save up 10000 + to buy the car outright? I know I never will - if I have that sort of it will be a deposit for a buy to let place lol.

As for the whole new vs old thing - if people weren't buying new cars on finance and bought it with hard earned cash up front only for it to have dropped by 50% after 3 years they would have a different attitude to signing up for another one straight away I think...

11. N/B

N/B Forum Member

EXACTLY my point.
    It is painfully obvious that the vast majority of UK residents currently live beyond their means.
    I include myself in this group.
    We take out loans and multiple credit cards like there's no tomorrow, lie about our earnings to get bigger mortgages and covet (and BUY) cars that we can't quite afford.
    Some people call it aspiration, I'm starting to call it foolishness.
    Yes, I could afford to spend 30 a week on some brand new sh*tbox from Korea, but why the f**k would I want to do that?
    Instead I can own one of the best-built cars ever made, with virtually zero depreciation, and not pay out more every month for it.

TSC, bury your head in the sand and wait for your funeral. Dick.

12. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

ive heard nutters talking about income/expenditure before. they didnt talk about how much they could afford to buy, they were talking about how much they earned and guaged repayments that way.

- N/B do you actually own one of the best cars made?

13. N/B

N/B Forum Member

Matt82 - Arguably, yes - I own & drive a Mercedes-Benz 190E.
    Developed in the late seventies, and released in November 1982.
    M-B spent 600 Million developing this car, making it the most expensive project they've ever undertaken.
    Viewed by a great many as Mercedes at their absolute pinnacle, they are seriously well-engineered cars. W201 production ended in 1993, the model year of my car. Mercedes spent the next 10 years ruining their reputation with the hideous Chrysler corporation, some terrible cars were made.

The rest of the story is here, on Wikipedia.

14. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

A car is such a status symbol that as soon as most people get a have decent salary, they max themselves up with a big car loan.
    Easy to think "oooh, I can afford 400 a month" but so easy to forget that you end up paying a HUGE amount over the list price in interest.

Both ours cars are not too old (under 3 years old) but fully paid for. To be honest, I'd take driving two uninteresting cars that are paid for over a loaned up M3/Cayman/RS4/etc ANY day. We now put enormous value of hassle free motoring!

Still wouldn't minf something exciting again but then the stress hits the roof, costs , multiply, tax is now insane on anything properly quick and you chuck at least 5k down the drain as soon as you buy a car.

However, we also can't be bothered with the hassle of an old car and whatever anyone says, new cars are a LOT safer. Important with a wife and a baby on the way.

Cannot abide the Merc 190, however well made it is.

15. N/B

N/B Forum Member

Nail on the head.
    You're totally forgiven for hating the 190, something of a 'marmite' design.
    Ever ridden in one? I get nothing but compliments...

16. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

sorry, i wasnt questioning whether the car was great (all cars are really, 190 definately is!) but was asking whether you owned it or whether you were paying for it.

it would do my nut in to be paying off a car that was depreciating and wasnt actually mine :p

17. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

N/B - it's an irrational dislike.

I've driven many Mercs and have always thought them perfectly okay. I also know how well made they used to be - my late grandad's Merc Estate carried 250k miles with ease.
    They just don't do it for me and tragically, many 190s have been chavved up to the max.

Always liked the old 3 series a lot more.

However I do lust after the AMG 55 Mercs (SL, E class, etc) - one of the best soundtracks of any car and pretty accessible price wise now.

Oh and I've done the car loan thing - yes it was fun but it wasn't 10K+++ a year fun. Never again.

18. N/B

N/B Forum Member

No worries Matt - as with most old german saloons, the 190 is criminally undervalued at the moment, and 2k would snag you a very nice one indeed. Needless to say, I owe nothing on mine.
    Sutherland - 90s SLs were (and will always be) very good, but despite the AMG powerplant the W210 E-Class (1995-2002) is probably the worst car ever to bear the three-pointed star. Awful, awful machines.
    Collapsing suspension, rust that would embarrass an Italian and a thoroughly cheap feel ensured that the BMW 5-Series of the time was better in every way imaginable. I'd have an M5 over any E-Class.

I've resisted the urge to modify mine, because ultimately that's what kills the long-term value of cars.
    He says, trying to get back on topic!

19. D11BBA

D11BBA Forum Member

But why does exciting/safe = New Car. Had loads of new cars and none of them compere on combined fun/performance/safe hassle free motoring with this, my own favorite..

[​IMG]

+ Build quality to die for.

20. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

Have to admit, I had free use of the bosses E class in the late 90s (felt a pillock driving it though) and it was pretty poor for such an expensive car. Suprised they were so badly made though - MLs were terrible too.

SL55 AMG would be a good one to have - my uncle has an SL500 (latest shape) and loves it.

Nice one for leaving yours stock!

DIBBA - much as I like the mk2 Golf (and the G60 is great when not blowing it's charger up), they are NOT very safe at all.
    Poor brakes, no airbags, no ABS, and very poor in a crash. They also have almost no security - mine was a serious thief magnet.

I enjoyed running a mk2 when I was 22/23 but I'd never want another - check any modern/old car crash test in any mag/TV programme and the new car always remains almost intact, the old car gets completely crunched.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2008