No point in performance mods for old cars

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by drew, May 21, 2004.

1. jbmg40 Forum Member

I don't think its that expensive to own a v6 4motion, mine was just over
    12k with 20k on the clock, and a year's warranty from VW....

2. daveR Forum Member

:lol: :lol:

mk5 has to take the "looks like a 307 but costs half as much again" award!

3. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Its funny when i park my car in the corporate carpark around these expensive sports cars and cruisers and my car looks sooooo different! It sticks outs like a sore thumb!! Gets noticed though.

4. b'locks Forum Addict

well i'm sorry, i should have included in my post the name and address of every single person who drives a mk2 golf because they can't afford an expensive new car!!! [:x]

5. daveR Forum Member

Its all back to the not buying new new cars...

You lose the VAT straight away.... in the first year your going to lose most of the money (iirc Laguna's are the worst depreciating car out there, its like 60% in 12 months or something!?

As jbmg40 said, you can pick up v5 bora's for around 10-14k and you can pick up 3-5yr old passats for around 3-5k!!

6. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

This post has grown quicker in a short space of time than any other i have seen! Well done! I think...

7. Guests Banned

its been emotional :lol:

8. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

sob sob.... Ahh such is life. WTF? WAKE UP!!!
    Edited by: vw_singh

9. nickbee Forum Member

Some people drive old cars and wouldn't drive anything else. Some people drive new cars because they can afford them and it's what they want. Some people drive old cars because these because they're just not interested. Some people drive old cars because they can't afford anything else.

There must be about 10000 different choices you could make when buying a car. How much can you afford, how much do you want to spend, what is it you want, what is it you need. I suspect for each person that set of criteria is slightly different.

So please, would someone explain exactly what the point in arguing about it is?
    Edited by: nickbee

10. daveR Forum Member

Im exhausted.... [8(]

11. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

Would much rather spend 42k on an M3 than 22k on an R32?!!!
    What a DUMBAR*E thing to say.
    42k is nearly DOUBLE 22k.
    Point proved.
    Some of you are thick ba*tards who are clutching at straws to try and justify owning an old (but good) car.
    I'd say "beyond help" whilst you guys go on about how much better it is living in an old pokey council house than a nice plush apartment/country house, etc because there's "less carpet to hoover", "less grass to mow" and it "might not drop in value as much" is there's a housing crash and then genuinely feeling falsely smug about it or how there's "so much more pressure in a well paid job. I'd much rather be a dull mundane low paid job with no prospects.
    May seem irrelevant but I'm afraid it's not.
    Oh yeah - I'd much rather spend 80k on a GT3 RS than 22k on an R32...

12. daveR Forum Member

There isnt any point nick!

Its all down to personal choice!

Its helped my morning at work pass a treat though :lol: :clap:

13. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

MMMmmm, almost lunchtime now, come on, more posts please, pointless or not, this has been fun so far :lol:

14. daveR Forum Member

what was i saying baout there being no point to some posts?! :p ;) :lol:

I do feel for ya sutherlandm geeza.... you dont half get uptight about some of the poo on here!

If i were in your shoes id just take it all as a compliment mate. Couldnt agree with you more about alot of the R bashing you have received is down to jealousy ( im NOT saying that about this thread, i mean some of the others ive read over the time...).

15. nickbee Forum Member

This thread is amazing. If you actually read it from the beginning, people are arguing against people who are on their own side of the argument!

16. daveR Forum Member

Im a bad one for that! (Im assuming ive done it!?) I get all caught up in it then end up forgetting what i first said and arguing against someone who was on my side to start!

17. dooosuk Forum Member

I see Drew is safely sitting this out after starting it :lol:

18. nickbee Forum Member

Yeah, that's like waving a red flag at a bull...

19. MrBen Forum Junkie

I like the sound - it's nothing to do with being fast. Clearly a 115bhp engine in a car the size of a Mk3 isn't going to be particularly quick, but I have 6 points on my licence already, so I don't wanna go quick! I enjoy driving my car, and I like the engine sound which is much better than it was as standard when it sounded a bit 'weedy'!

20. unintelligent

unintelligent Forum Member

too tempting not to post..
    :p
    when you buy a new car you sign yourself up to be ripped of on a 12 months basis by the dealer, and you loose 's on the value of your car ...

Since I brought my first car I have owned 4 GTI's and the combined cost of all them (running as well) is still probably less than a new base level heap of cwap...(or more importantly probably less than the depreciation on the aforementioned heap of cwap)

As for all the "luxuries" a modern car has to offer - safety, comfort etc etc for me I find the Mk2 a little too refined and very Limo like compared to the Mk1....I like a car where you can hear the loud pedal (granted I am a tad deaf but even so)

So to summise - some people will buy new cars, and some will buy old. I couldn't care less - I will just consul myself with all the extra cash I have that isn't being pocketed by some rip off dealer/manufacturer ...and yes that is right they do rip you off one way or another [xx(]