No point in performance mods for old cars

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by drew, May 21, 2004.

1. b'locks Forum Addict

i'm talking about the concept of being able to afford a brand new car of my choice. if i could afford to spend big bucks on a car then i wouldn't choose an R32...i'd love to have one and would have one over my mk3, but there's no way i'd pay 22k for it!!! then again i think M3's are much better cars than R32's and would be more inclined to fork out 42k on one, if i could afford to, than fork out 22k on an R32.

2. daveR Forum Member

lol ok.... that probably wasnt taken how i meant it....

when i say grow up im not trying to make the statement your all a bunch of kids! Im just talking about the things we enjoy if that makes sense?

ah fukk it im just digging a deeper hole now! :lol:

1990, you forgot "ego" and "mouth" :p ;) :lol:

3. Rahul Forum Junkie

i think people are missing the point.

Mk1's and mk2's are dated cars.

You cant for one minute tell me a mk1 or a mk2 is a 'lovely looking' car.

I have the best of both worlds, a mess about mk1 and an e36 bmw.
    The mk1 doesnt owe me that much and the bmw is standard(well its wasnt before ;) but is now!). Plus, i love messing about with it and leaarning instead of lounging in front of the telly like a fat arse. I still do that admitedly but its a hobby and i wouldnt really want to mess about with a mk4 on my garage floor would i now!

I still get the ignorant idiots saying i must be loaded having two cars, but no I invest and spend my money wise;y. I still manage to go out a lot etc without feeling the need to spen 30 quid getting wasted.

Going back to the topic, DaveR is right.
    My parents think I am mad for having a 'death trap' in the garage as its not very refined and has limited amounts of safety compared to my Air bagged BM.

As for people owning mk1's and mk2's because they can't afford anything newer is possibly the most naive and ignorant post of the lot. The majority of people on here have modified mk1's and mk2's which have had more than a fair share spent on them.
    Remember a new ish Ford Ka is only about 5k. Most people on here could get one of those. So why havent we all got one then?

Oh yeah, its because we choose not to.

Plus, the VW scene is great and i have actually been slightly put off buying my e30 m3 now [:s]
    Edited by: CabrioRags

4. Guests Banned

well im 21 and im never going to grown up, well not till im 40ish ;)

and i would rather pay 11k on an evo m3 hard top, full heated leather, REAR wheel drive. bags of fun. 100% babe magnet

than 22k on an r32 thats going to come down in price in a few years. and by the time i paid it off it will be worth half as much

just to open another can of worms :lol:

5. Rahul Forum Junkie

agreed. I would have gone for a e36 m3 conv but its slightly unjustifiable at the moment. I dont wanna be eating value beans for a year! :lol:

6. daveR Forum Member

PMSL! how many arguments can we have in a day?! [8(] :p

you need to consider that the 13k M3 was well over 40k about 5 years ago!!! thats alot of depreciation!

an R32 will hold its value VERY VERY VERY well! purely for the fact of exclusivity.

7. daveR Forum Member

Surely you could set up a mobile hair dressers to subsidise the car?! :lol: ;)

8. Guests Banned

i seriously think you have to be on about 30k a year to own a car even like a v6 4motion.

unless you live at home that is.

9. Guests Banned

im not saying the m3 doesnt lose money.....but most of it is lost in the first few years.

by buying older you save money for just being patient.

im not saying beemers hold there value better

10. Rahul Forum Junkie

now whos behaving like a kid :lol:

11. b'locks Forum Addict

FFS read the f*cking post properly, i said MOST people not ALL people. how is that naive or ignorant??? stop f*cking generalising and taking what i said out of context [:x]

12. Tarmac Terror Forum Member

OK, my pennies worth. The Mk1 - love it to bits, the driving pleasure is far more rewarding for me than it is with a modern car. Although I think about parting with the car sometimes, it wouldn't happen just for the sheer grin factor and rawness it has. I have an Audi A4 which is a nice drive, but doesn't give that same feeling for me of feed-back etc. It has all the toys to keep me happy on long trips and the creature comforts that we all expect as standard in modern cars. I personally think that if you took a MK1 and a simialr modern car thru' the twisty stuff then there would not be much in it ,the MK1 would hold it's own I would hope, but stick them both on a long run of 300 miles, and I know which one I wold be more refreshed at the end of the drive, and which would probably get their first - the modern car I am afriad to say. So the MK1 has it's place in history, and shoudl be perserved as the great car that it was and in a weird way still is in it's won right. Perhaps I am just getting old and need the finer comforts in life for my old bones !! [:s], but occasionally need the rush to get reminded of what a car is really all about. ;)
    Performance mods on old cars - bit late for me, but then it is an old performance mod on an old car running old technology from new ???? SCARY by today's standards.... [:s]
    Edited by: Tarmac Terror

13. Rahul Forum Junkie

wait a minute, you were generalising when you said most people surely......? :lol:

14. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

i think most new cars look crap/boring/same and whatever engine you put in them or boring,turbo/map/chip upgrade,it will always be quicker in a mk1
    sorry just needed to get that out [:D]

15. Guests Banned

who said mk2's are ugly...cant rememeber anyway?

when i look at my car i love it. i cant get enough of it....i actually get scared that it might be one day taken away from me and ill never find another one.

beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

i will say that when i owned a nova....i knew it looked sh1t :lol:

16. b'locks Forum Addict

NO.

i took into account the fact that a some people CAN afford new cars and they own older cars through CHOICE. therefore i'm not ignorant or naive to that fact. so f*ck u sh1t face!!! :lol:

17. Guests Banned

if i owned a mk4 i would care about it so much.....coz if it got knicked crashed or burnt i could always just go buy another exactly the same in good condition.

and if all the mk4's in the world just disapeared i could just buy a peugeot and squint [:D]

18. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Common as muck round my way unfortunately! Retro cars rule round here! Plenty of bling motors but when the old classics come out in summer, every one still respects them, fast or not.

19. Guests Banned

if you have a clean standard mk1 or mk2 people will stop you in the street and talk to you about it. and offer to buy it sometimes

if you have a clean standard mk3 or mk4 people dont care

20. nickbee Forum Member

I love these threads! :lol: