Show us your mk3!! + plans for 2010!!!

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by vee_dub_modder, Jan 23, 2010.

1. vee_dub_modder Forum Member

by the way "THE db" which mk golf GTi's have you owned out of interest?? and has anyone else had 1-4 or beyonde?? your thoughts please!

2. The db

The db Forum Junkie

ABF engine was de-tuned by VW because of the VR6. Why pay a premium for a 174bhp VR6 if you can have a cheaper 170bhp 16v GTI?

I think the weights you've put up there are wrong.

Off the top of my head the weight of the 3dr mk2 gti 16v was about 1167

I'll see if I can find figures for the rest.

I've owned 6 mk2 GTI's and 1 mk3 GTI. I've had the displeasure of using a mk4 GTI for 2 months whilst I transitioned between mk2 to mk3 as I work with a trader who owned the standard 1.8T.

I've had the joy of owning the mk5 and mk6 Golf for a week each through work as demonstrators through VW. Mk1 love is purely through the passenger seat only and the cult status of it all.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  3. vee_dub_modder Forum Member

I'd kill for my mk1 back! Defo the best car (in some ways) i've owned -- the mk2 running an abf was fun or even the 2.08v i ran before that?
    The leon is the winner hands down otherwise so far

anyways back on subject, i found this:

http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=16

it only has the 125 mk4 though (Shi*e 20vt)

Its a start.

I thought the ABF was detuned with a mild inlet for emmissions laws brought in in 1993?? swap the Kr inlet over and bobs your uncle :) (not that i've ever done that... much lol)

4. The db

The db Forum Junkie

I think fig I gave earlier for mk2 was wet weight.

This graph shows power to weight ratios

[​IMG]

I now rest my case - the mk4 was not just a turd, but a slow turd:thumbup:

5. vee_dub_modder Forum Member

6. vee_dub_modder Forum Member

based on the early 125 bhp?? i said anniversary 180bhp?

7. vee_dub_modder Forum Member

either way that kinda blows when the leon (revo stage 2) is 230bhp ish, 240+ft lbs torque 0-60 (last recorded gti inters) of 6.13 secs (but tuned more since then) and on the speedo i go a touch over 150mph?

but i digress AGAIN lol

8. vee_dub_modder Forum Member

Golf mk4 anniversary should be 2nd on that graph... 150bhp per tonne bassed on 180bhp/1200kg x 1000 =150bhp/tonne
    VR6 1st 156bhp/tonne

9. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

if you like figures, ive timed mine at 6.6s to 60.

forgetting figures, i have a friend in essex cgti with a mk4 gti, aum ko3s jobbie and it had a remap. c.200bhp etc.

run after run there was nothing between my golf and his until (if memory serves me right) well into 4th gear.

in bends, we all know what the mk4 is like. it depends what you like though. 4 months ago i bought a 320bhp audi s4. im selling it and keeping the golf, the golf is faaaaaar more fun to hustle around

another thing that puts me off mk4s, ever been on the mk4 owners club sites? :thumbup:

10. vee_dub_modder Forum Member

yeah i'm on them sites (and most vw sites + seatcupra.net)
    6.6 secs... you have me intrigued as to your power plant sir! its not a turbo with that power to weight/0-60 and i'd guess your bhp at 190bhp?? (i cant be bothered to transpose the formula to work it out closer * blame the beer*) i'm going with N/a power... maybe a 2.0 abf? 2.0 8v??

I'd rather keep the golf and to hammer the point home the Leon is on the way out (mostly due to cost but i've wanted a mk3 for years) lol

your mate must be stage 1 at that bhp -- but just imagine that lump in your golf?? bump it up to stage 2 230bhp - (207bhp/tonne) i still think a 1.8t mk3 is a great compramise over late VW power/tunability with the old skool weight saving. granted the mk1/2 would be faster but the mk3 is a nice blend of modern comfort over old skool weight.

All this coupled with a good chassis set up should have a great motor that is able to handle most performance motors today (esp with a stage 2 280bhp BAM engine)

The Vr still is the beat sounding VW range engine though... if only i could have the sound and power!!! (bi turbo anyone?) -- thats not a sexually confused turbo btw lol

11. 1982.rpd Forum Member

Quite surprised how equally matched the 1.6 & 1.8 mk1s are

12. vee_dub_modder Forum Member

only a few bhp in it! both engines are nicely tunable though ;D

13. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

The power figures on that graph are a bit iffy...

Mk2 8v...120bhp? I don`t think so. 112bhp more like.

Mk3 VR...156bhp? Shouldn`t that be 174bhp?

14. vee_dub_modder Forum Member

Bhp per tonne my friend.

15. vee_dub_modder Forum Member

though the mk4 180golf would be 150bhp/ton

16. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Ooops...t*t!... [><] :lol:

17. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

Iv got a one thing to say on the 20vt front; if there that bad why do so many people use them in so many different cars, including ktm in there crossbow iirc, or the palmer audi single seaters that also use 20vt engines, they're an amazing engine, check out the reeves cars that both have one, just in std Ko3 form they stop making power after 5k, even after a remap they are not track engines but bigger turbo with all the other bits and bobs you have a proper weapon.

Iv had a good thrashing in a 280bhp 200sx but you need to compare a sr20det to a BAM in cost comparison, the sr20det does deliver the power far more linear than a remapped BAM but the sr20dets blow up and the engine had far more than just a remap to get that power.

On the whats worst a mk3 or a mk4 thats an easy one, there both cr*p:thumbup: :p

18. vee_dub_modder Forum Member

Ah sense at last! :clap: and i like the lack of smotheness when the boost comes in :lol:

19. kells Forum Member

iv owned a mk 2 16v, back in 1997, and 2 mk 4's (a GTI and a TDI 150 which is mapped to 190bhp ish)

love getting back in my mk 3

my friend is breaking his S3 soon hopefully, i have dibs on any parts i need to do the engine swap, i love the Bam engine ;)

20. vee_dub_modder Forum Member

Yeah its BAM-tastic lol. yeah i'm still between 1.8t or VR6... VR is under powerd for its displacement but i just cant get past the sound lol. anyone seen the remote turbo'd vento in the march issue of PVW??? thats a new one on me but its clever but mission the point slightly. thats an awful long inlet track

Last edited: Feb 13, 2010