Tomos Turbo Project

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by Tomo IOW, Apr 19, 2008.

1. giorgio New Member

jesus that cooler is massive. good work sonny

2. altern8 Forum Junkie

thats what im using I got a laguna one thats a good fit too

3. Tomo IOW Forum Member

it just fits in, was quite suprised really, cos it look massive when the postman gave it to me lol, i take it air still passes threw to the rad still? as thats complety blocking air to the rad

4. Tomo IOW Forum Member

this week shenanigans involved fitting G60 brakes, with increased power i want to stop better ,

cleaned up the bearing housing and painted them black,new wheel bearings ,disc and pads,and new hubs,. fitted 22mm Master cylinder no problems really,,

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

the only issue's was that the g60 calipers hit the borbet spokes,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

had to find some spacers, as the isle of wight shuts down at 12:30 , was starting to panic, managed to find some at local motor parts carnoissour, { altho i dont like to shop there due to extreme prices , it saved me from hassle this time }

5. bertelli_1 Forum Member

Looking good. I fitted some g60 brakes to mine recently & they are fab, much better than the 16v set up.

6. Tomo IOW Forum Member

fitted the cable change box today, removed exhaust , that had to be cut. Removed heat sheild,4 bolts out. rod box came out easy. Fitted cable change box, marked new holes and drilled some 4 self tappers, all secured in well, but now the end of the cable has snapped, its where it bolts to the shift tower on the gear box, not sure if u can replace that one cable ?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ****ing fecking thing
    [​IMG]

7. HidRo Forum Member

I believe I have the same setup as you do regarding the 02J/A shifter tower, and you will have to isolate everything between the tower and chassis. If not, you will have loads of hot air coming in (if your windows/suf roof are open) and cold air if everything is closed eheheh

8. Paulc Forum Member

Tomo this is awesome your pictures have answered some questions that have been in my mind for some time now!

How much in GBP did you end up paying for the manifold? I take it the port sizes on it match that of the mk2 gasket?

Are you getting a custom down pipe made?

Also what are you doing for lowering the compression? twin gasket or new pistons? sorry if i've missed this in the thread!

Cheers

Paul

9. Tomo IOW Forum Member

i always had the smell of petrol from the golf, even tho everything was sealed, but as i took off the shift tower from underneaf, thats what ur left with, i massive hole, directly under that is the exhaust , so maybe thats where my phantom smells was coming from, when i re-fit the shift mech , i shall seal that area off , with thick, plastic cover of sorts and Silicone Sealant ,

Paul C : the manifold came to about 210 maybe more, after import tax { i really hate this taxing shafting govenment } in total with buisness delivery , as normal delivery was rated at 8 weeks wait, i cant wait that long on over seas stuff ,specialy with the amount i payed i wanted it in this country asap, came to $400 dollors round that i think, .

Its a direct fit to the kr /9a head , so all fits as normal ,orig manifold stud and nuts and gaskets no probs there.

Shall be going tried and tested stacked metal g60 head gaskets for this, should hold up, anything over the 300bhp mark even tho im not going anywhere near that, then forge pistons and rods ect ect

custom downpipe will be made , my turbo exhaust outlet use'es a 3" v-band clamp, so will need to make a 3" downpipe then reduce it some where to 2.5" to matt up to the exsisting stainless system, im hoping theres a 3 inch to 2.5 inch reducer out there lol

10. bertelli_1 Forum Member

I used some thick foam to fill the gap around my gear shifter - the road noise was really bad without it! And I used to get a cold breeze in second gear...

11. Tomo IOW Forum Member

fitted the cable clutch slave cylinder,
    [​IMG]
    used 1300 clutch cable ,
    [​IMG]
    not really sure how this fits in , so im guessing it goes like this,

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    had this on the end of the cable but that was proving differcult to get the cable on with it attatched, so ive left it off ?

[​IMG]

have i fitted this cable correctly ? any info would be much appriciated ,

cheers

12. bertelli_1 Forum Member

You need to file the pedal end of the cable (the plastic bit) to the same shape as the original cable - it will then fit nicely, them both nuts & the rubber bit should fit on the gearbox end. The cable will probably need a bit of adjustment to get a nice operation.

13. beni-iow New Member

looks good mate and lol carnoissour they are a last resort on the island

14. Tomo IOW Forum Member

aha .another isle of wighter ,,, i think this forum has at least 3 people from the island now lol

15. beni-iow New Member

oh yes another islander lol dont you work for express factors?

16. Tomo IOW Forum Member

yeah, been there for bout 5 years now, thats where all of my new parts have came from. What car you driving , ?

this weekends task was just re-fitting exhuast heat shield,took out the dash ready for megasquirt and four gauges plus two piller guage pods, should be ordering mega squirt in 2 weeks from toyotec,.
    [​IMG]

mess of wires, need to tidy that up
    [​IMG]

got some flexi conduate from the scrapers , going back to get more me thinks, looks better and less of a minefield when trying to figure out what goes where,
    [​IMG]

back seat now storing all my taken off parts,
    [​IMG]

after sorting the wiring inside i thought id try and re-wire the engine loom , via the scuttle tray, anything to seperate the wire loom from the turbo as it is close,
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Tomo IOW Forum Member

this weekends task was to carry on with the re-wiring, its all now in the rain tray,poked threw the other side, { passenger side } , connected all back up and have power , which is good, ive chopped off the crappy alarm system that never worked except the laser immob, just had a mess of wires going no where, from the alarm and siron, but ive cut it all off, but still have the immob that stills works which is good,shall post pics up later,

other then that, my atp sump pan with welded oil drain bung turned up along with oil feed and return lines,. Yep i could off welded in a bung but i cant be arsed with that, plus i dont no how to weld, so im just after a simple easy, hassle free turbo fitment .

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

really quick delivery from ATP, but the only problem now is that i need more bits , ie, drain flange plus gasket and oil restictor, total bout $30 { 15} They stock those bits, but the postage is still $95 per 10ibs,

thats 48 delivery for something that would weigh just a few grams and would fit in a small sized jiffy bag, they dont have another option of delivery just that price, shame really, cos they have a good selection of turbo goodies

18. harry_the_cake Forum Junkie

19. Tomo IOW Forum Member

sweet cheers for that, shall ckeck that link out

20. harry_the_cake Forum Junkie

Or better still, you could try v-band clamps or 3 bolt flange. One of my exhaust joins kept blowing so I added the 3 bolt setup also dropping from 3" to 2.5" (albeit with a CAT in there too which you won't have to worry about).

[​IMG]