Tomos Turbo Project

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by Tomo IOW, Apr 19, 2008.

1. Tomo IOW Forum Member

result, drilled larger holes, and clamped with washers, it now feels secured in, panic over now, so dont have to send this back ,yay !!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

is this ok to plumb the pressure reg , to the throttle housing ?

[​IMG]

2. Monkian Forum Member

Those greentops are not good for twin entry port heads.

They caused me problems with idle and excess fuel being unburnt in the cylinder head when I tested those.. alot of popping on overun The fuel basicly runs down the side of the walls instead of hitting the back of the valve.

The spray patturn is direct pencil apposed to a cone shape... designed purley for an 8v head.
    Low speed throttle responce will be a pain in the ass too

3. Tomo IOW Forum Member

mmm, shall give em a try, but a lot of people have used these so there might be mixed opinions, i hope it doesnt do that tho, i dont need more problems :lol:

4. bertelli_1 Forum Member

Fuel hoses - the feed goes to the rail, the return goes to the regulator.
    Throttle cable - I used a 1.3 item although my manifold points the other way & has a bracket fitted. Maybe you can fit the bracket to yours?

5. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

In hindsight. They are not brilliant. Certain Siemens units are a better choice.
    Popping on over run can be significantly reduced by enabling fuel shut off on overrun.
    Low speed response as in tip ins can be improved with the wide angle injectors.
    Overall the contol calibration will be the critical factor in getting this hardware to work and to reduce the side effects of less than ideal components.

6. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Tom, for the accel cable use a 1.3 MK2 job. It is advised to mount on below the plenum. meaning the TB needs to spun with the crank facing the the rad.
    Send me a pm and I can send some pictures.

7. Tomo IOW Forum Member

ive tryed to turn the Tb , but its just not gonna fit , this is the only way it will fit,

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I found Tony Hydrolic, none of the plumbing companys could match a fitting due to US AF fittings, but the man tony sorted me out,[:*:]

[​IMG]

fitted a treat and briged the gap,
    [​IMG]

like a glove,
    [​IMG]

i had the wrong hoses fitted , but looking closerly the fuel rail had arrows pointing , ->, { feed in } <- { return } , lol

[​IMG]
    tomos custom made , washers for the TB,

[​IMG]

bit of reduntent samco hose, now covering the brake servo pipe, also do i need a flange for the feed in, or just screw down the restrictor to the hole
    [​IMG]

also, the oil feed i T-d off the oil sender, is that ok to mount the sender like that ? was gonna do the same for the oli pressure gauge on the sender below this one

[​IMG]

8. Monkian Forum Member

I totally agree, swapping to a cone pattern injector solved all of my problems.. I even swapped over to cone spray 20% larger injectors with much improved results and smooth idle ..... better than trying to get the greens to run better. I have a fully programable ems and it was mapped by a well know mapper.. the greens had issues @ low rpm and idle.. the injectors were shutting down prematurley if the duty was adjusted to idle as it should. In turn a higher idle setting had to be used and more fuel.

Tomo...... . good work by they way!

9. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

What sort of power output are you going for? Surely thje greens are only for going way past 300hp?

I was thinking of going for saab red tops for mine. They are 358cc/min @ 3bar high impedance and supposed to be good for 300hp. I'll be looking for around 250hp though.

10. Tomo IOW Forum Member

revotec hose tap off arrived, altho quite exspensive at 21, it saved a lot of hassle,

[​IMG]

bit of wood,

[​IMG]

put the punch that came with the kit on the wood,
    [​IMG]

strike the hose, over the punch, tight fit needed,
    [​IMG]

perfect round hole,
    [​IMG]

fit valve,

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

sealing washer,lip facing down to hose,
    [​IMG]

tighten with nut,
    [​IMG]

sealed perfect,

[​IMG]

jobs a gooden,

[​IMG]

trial fitted all silicone,
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

need to get round this

[​IMG]

probley some intreget alloy bend goin on there,un-sure,

made a alternator bracket out of some metal i found in the shed,
    [​IMG]

fits in no probs,

[​IMG]

tested the waste gate, and it works, lol, boost gauge off the scale every time u open from the air comp, not sure how you would control that,

[​IMG]

got a in car boost contoller , im tottaly unsure how to fit this in so if anyone can give us some info, draw a basis diagram , that would be great,
    [​IMG]

how i left it today,

[​IMG]

tomorows task, wire in the gauges , fit innovate controller

11. Tomo IOW Forum Member

Wired in the gauges loom, they all work , just gotta wire in the innovate wideband 02 senser tomorrow, and wait untill mega squirt ecu id ready to send, which is the biggy task, loads of re-wiring , aghhhhhh !! i shouldnt be complaining really bout the wiring task as in sept i start college in the evenings to train as an electrician lol

, primed the fuel pump today , and no fuel spillege at the injector rail end, so thats something less to worry about lol,

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. TurbTech Forum Junkie

Looking really good now!

13. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member

any update ?

14. Tomo IOW Forum Member

not much really, just waiting for ms and waiting for my 90 degree exhaust bend to come back with a welded v-clamp flange, mechanic i know said he'l do it, but that was 2 weeks ago lol, soon as thats back then i need to take that bend, weld it onto a flexi section i got, then take the turbo to get another v-clamp flange welded on to the exhaust outlet, then clamp those sections together, ,

once thats on, then i can start to fabricate a downpipe, loads of work still do to, and proberly now not looking till the end of sept, summers gone lol, oh well,

Ive started a new job at a local garage/bodyshop, and now have to work a months in hand, ouch, no wages for a month, so project has ground to a hault for now untill i get more money !!! [:x]

15. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member

[:v:] no money know how you feel, going to get mine running with a K027 first before i run any big power. 250bhp to start.

16. Tomo IOW Forum Member

250 would be my limit i think, b4 id tork steer into every wall lol, you got some crazy power going on ha ha

17. katenflats New Member

looking good tomo m8, my 20v is only running about 230bhp with g60 box and i get loads of it!! you can have ago in the battleship so you know wot sort of drive yours will be m8!

18. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

You could have got away with some red top injectors for that power. Managed to get some for 20 they should be good for 70hp per injector which is theoretically 280hp.
    Didnt wanna spend that amount on greentops and not need them for the power i wanted.

19. Tomo IOW Forum Member

flattely ? is that you ? have you had that re-mapped on a ko3 ?

20. Tomo IOW Forum Member

crap weather saturday , so couldnt do **** on the car, sunday tho, carried on with the gauges and mounts, plumbed in the boost gauges hoses,plus fitted in car boost valve, ive only ran the hoses threw the bulk head to the valve, im still unsure how to properly plumb this controller in, .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

slight problem when fitting the braided hose threw the bulk head, i poked it threw the hole in the engine bay with the rest of the hose out on the pavment, i then got in the car and slowly pulled it threw, when doing this, suddenly the end of the hose was chucking out smoke,

confused as y this is smoking , i jumped out of the car and the braided hose { when being pulled } was arcing out on the positive battery terminal, this in turn set a light to the hose, which was on fire lol,

i pulled it out of the car and chucked water over it, lucky it didnt spread onto the rest of the engine or cables,. Ive got some small damage to the terminal cable, so that could do with replacing, plus snip the end of the live cable and re-fit a terminal .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

im usally quite safe on making sure not to damage or cause accidents for my self, but it goes to show that you cant think of every possible scenario that might happen, this simple thing like this could of easily burned the car out, im so gonna buy a flameskill under bonnet fire system now lol