Track Day Cars...

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by Rallye, Dec 2, 2003.

1. Rallye Forum Junkie

I have done one track day, in a vurtually standard road car. But yet i dont feel the need to build a dedicated car for it.

Yet i have mates with G60s saying how they are building a mk2 valver as they want the extra throttle responce and durability.

2. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

So what? If they want to do that then good on them. Good on everone who has even wanted to do a trackday and gone and done it no mater what car they are in, daily driver/strped out poo heap or whatever

3. AndrewF Forum Addict

underated kit IMO.

4. 1990

Thats good to hear, the spax PSX on my mk2 only cost 250 (another e-bay bargain). [:D]

5. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

:lol: At least you're honest :lol:

6. Ian_S Forum Member

[:^(] so how are us "uneducated" people supposed to get all the wisdom that the few old hands have? Surely everyone wasn't born with knowledge about cars and track driving!

sorry I don't want to start a debate. but...

I've had a few road cars with uprated suspension and more power (mk4 polo and G40 are 2 examples) but the road mannar of theses cars was apalling, my mum wouldn't even get in the mk4 polo!

I now drive a comfy, quite, refined seat ibiza cupra sport gti 16v which I could easily rag round a track but I'd be poo scared to drive it "on the limit" incase I crashed it and these 195/45/15 tyres aint cheap.

I got offered a chipped ABF with an 020 and full SS system out of a mk2 for 450 and decided to buy it (seemed like a good deal to me).

I'll chuck it in a solid mk2 and if I don't enjoy it or use it as much as I thought I'm pretty sure I can break it and not loose much money.

sorry to go on but it's just like all the job adverts around now which insist on experience, but how do you get experience when no-one will give you a job unless you've got some[xx(]

Ian.

7. 1990

Well no, not realy, i'm just lulling you into a false sense of security, i'm really going to kick your arse ;) :lol: :lol:

8. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

9. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Hang on, isn't that what these forums are for? ;)

If you don't know about something you ask a question, I'm not sure what Phatty means by that statement

Paul, spill the beans ;) [:D]

10. AxlFoley Forum Junkie

11. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

Sorry, it appears my post has been taken the wrong way. As you know I'm all for people building their own cars and racing them too. it was the duff 'advice' given by the clueless few who I was aiming my remark at. People come on here after advice about building a track car, and get loads of comments off people who've never built one, never driven one and never will.

Belting round a track is the best fun you'll ever have out of your car, I thoroughly recommend it.

12. Dubplate Forum Member

13. Rallye Forum Junkie

Your missing my point completely

im saying that building a all out car before you have tried it is a bit sad. Just use ur road car! Lol there was smart out on track at goodwood

14. Yorkie Forum Member

I see where your coming from Rallye & I'm not having a go.

I think alot of people (myself included) would love 2 take their cars out onto a track, but fear they might end up in the barrier. So they would rather build a cheap "track" day car and use that instead.

Personnally I can ill afford to stack my car into the barrier on a track day, as it is my everyday drive.

15. 1990

Building an all out track car is a bit OTT, but cars like my mk1 are done for a bit of fun and i bet it cost less than other hobbies, eg: a decent set of golf clubs or a load of fishing tackle would cost more than its cost me for the mk1.

16. Rallye Forum Junkie

IF your implying this mystycal dub education, then i have got it without building a DEDICATED TRACK CAR!

if i was to use GVK & Tubthumped as examples, it would be unstandible if they turned their valves into track only cars. But if it would be sad for me to make the rallye track only.

17. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

It's all well and good taking a cheap car out on the track, something you don't mind crashing. but if it's an old knacker, driving it won't teach you much, nor will it impress the track day officials.

My track car was a sack of sh1t bodywork wise, but underneath it was like new, and it showed. I only built that as a test bed to teach me how to drive, and to test out various parts, and it was f*cking brilliant! the best 6 months or driving experience I've had in 10 years.

By all means, go build a track car, but make sure it's safe and not just and old car.

18. Rallye Forum Junkie

heheh i can see why this is a fear but its something you get over once you have had a go. Imagine how i felt taking my old mans car round, where if i lost a wing mirror it would have been a months wages!

I still think people would be better off at least renting a car/using their road car at least once.

19. Jeff Forum Junkie

lol, not sure what avis would have to say about it!

20. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

:clap: (thats a well said and agree clap BTW)

And

I can see more what your point is now..