Track Day Cars...

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by Rallye, Dec 2, 2003.

1. AndrewF Forum Addict

true...i would like to be able to fiddle with the handling a bit (thus gaining knowledge).

2. edc1 Forum Member

But racing is racing and meant to be competitive. Track days are not. Some ppl just want to drive like an idiot, slide it like a movie star and have a big grin on their face. Drive like that in a race series and you'll probably get black flagged.

3. Rallye Forum Junkie

heheheh hangging the back end sounds like a laugh [:D]

4. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

I've modified my (only) road car so it's better to use on track days, obviously with it being my only car, mods have to be compromised for road use

No way would I strip out all the sound proofing and carpet just to save a few KGs to increase performance on the 4-5 track days a year I do, I couldn't afford to run another car either a more comfortable road car or a balls out track toy, so I make do with what I've got, which for the money I've spent on it, does a good job :lol:

I hope the people that are building dedicated track cars without having done any in their own (normal) car are doing the right thing - also I always see people being worried about crashing on track, if you go with the right attitude in the first place, and don't try and drive over you and your cars abilities you'll have a lot of fun and keep on the black stuff.

C'mon ACF, To do racing even half seriously you need new tyres regularly, you've got entrance fees, and many many other costs.

Anyone that spends that much money on track days - DOES need to race.. ;)

Been watching my vids again Ed??? :lol:
    Edited by: G_V_K

5. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

6. edc1 Forum Member

Well, not quite but seen a lot of Jap drift racing vids. Trying to persuade a friend to buy back his old ~800bhp Skyline for some drifting instead :p

7. AndrewF Forum Addict

not always your fault tho is it? could get collected by others.

i was just wondering how much people had spent over the course of a year doin trackdays. out of interest how much have you spent modding your car, and on entry fees?

8. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

Car -- 3k
    Track days - maybe 300

9. GVK

Bought the car for 1900 18 months ago, probably spent the same again on it.

Donny x 3.5 = 290

Weekend at Nurburgring - quite expensive but was my ' summer holiday' too... ;)

No where near a race budget is it...

10. prof Forum Addict

oops typo strikes again........yeah Ian ya slowcoach get a move on...........n

No i need mucho lessons-and some new engine mounts.

11. AndrewF Forum Addict

okay, thought you'd have spent more than that.

i just saw a nice porsche 944 for sale for very little money, would make an interesting trackday car don't you think?!

12. KeithMac Forum Junkie

I modded my road car (daily driver) for track use, only difference being I take out the rear seat for track! (and I`ve bought a 2nd set of 15`s).

I tried it out on the road and got on with the set-up before I did my first trackday and it handled spot on, I was well impressed!

Most of the mods I did because of the info on this forum, the brakes and suspension being the main ones.

I can`t afford to buy and run two cars so i have to track my road car, which suits me fine! Plus I drive more carefully, which is a big bonus for other track users I recon.

I have only done one t/d so far but there`s many more to come next year. Don`t be afraid to track you road car if that`s all you can afford, you`ll still have a great laugh! (now where did I put that 2l 16 engine?)

13. GVK

Noticed you got those 15" Hocks off eBay Keith ;)

14. DarrenH Forum Member

having done a track day in a standard car (i.e mine) i wouldnt wish it on anyone. soggy brake pedal, stinky clutch, power understeer, inside wheel spining on chicanes, crap suspension, no grip.

if your gonna go, go prepared !! mod it !

15. NormanCoal Forum Member

I did exactly the same as you, but then decided that I wanted more, and now its at the point where I havent driven the car since last Feb. Now where did I go wrong there?

Hence I now have a converted my daily driver so that I can still enjoy myself in the coming year should the dedicated track car be unavailable for whatever reason.

Going out on track with the one and only car that you have (and needing to use it the next day to get to work) always made me have safety first thoughts in my head. I may take more 'risks' if I know I dont have to drive the car the next day, but the above thoughts have been prelevant for such a long period that I shall probably continue with the same attitude - have as much fun as possible, but not at the expense of bending my car for no particular reason (and I dont include the Craner Curves brain fade incident in that [:$] )

16. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Have you been spying on me Gary :p.

Off to pick them up soon, I thought at 62 they were a bargain!

Got some recaro`s to fit my car as well, which is nice..

17. NoFearKid Banned

id love a track car but i picked my dirtbike instead, that way i can cart wheel the thing an pick it up again and ride

i really would love to do track days in car but i feel i would get frustrated by getting beaten by someone in a faster car who wasnt a better driver

i guess im a bad loser, but i know on my dirtbike its 90% rider 10% bike

a track day must be 90% car 10% driver

18. GVK

Total b0ll0cks.

I've seen lesser cars with good drivers pass 'proper' cars on track many many times, a car thats fast down the straights isn't always the fastest car on the track.

Anyone remember the Mini migilia race car (1300cc) vs the tuned RS500 at Donny earlier in the year?
    Was a good example of the above statement. ;)

Go over to the 'Ring and see the locals in old Golfs beat up the tourists in their exotic supercars on a daily basis [:D]

Theres many many examples of this happen all the time, i'm sure others will agree.

19. madmonkey Forum Addict

So I stand a chance with my 1.8 Vento then? [:D] :lol:

20. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

That might be asking a bit too much :lol: ;)