Track Day Cars...

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by Rallye, Dec 2, 2003.

1. MK4 GTI TURBO Forum Member

On my first trackday ever I overtook a Lotus Exige [:D] I was really pleased but it was being driven by the blokes wife for one session:lol:

2. The Mann Forum Member

I see what no fear kid means though in terms of its exagerated a tad with cars over say dirt bikes. How fast a car goes round a track is very much limited by what car it is AS WELL as the driver. I think its due to the comparison being so uneven...much much more scope/range for type of car class/speed over dirt bikes.

Im looking to "build" a mk1 golf to a standard where I could take it on tracks as well as have fun on the road. I cant see how not knowing much makes me at a lower level to those on here or off of this forum that DO know loads. I just want to have fun all round.

Only thing bout track days is I dont think Id push myself to my limit in fear of wrecking it. I spose its dependant on how forgiving the track is. VIds ive watched of GVK and co in the wet at Donny look insane, one unpredicted tank slapper and it could be tears!

3. unintelligent

unintelligent Forum Member

I would like to take my Mk1 on the track next year - but what are the regaulations surrounding car suitability - it has an MOT but will you be refused participation if for example you leak a drop of oil here and there ?? (...can't think where that example came from) - are there written guidelines or is it down to officals discretion ??

4. pictonroad Forum Member

I agree, at Donington several Mk2's passed my Mk3, must have been the drivers....

5. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

lol @ Picton

Remember when EVO put a BTCC driver in a metro (standard) and he was quicker than a 'normal' driver in a Imprezza STi??

6. KeithMac Forum Junkie

I think if you have a decent roadcar (maybe fast-road biased) you cant got wrong really, and f1`s for the wet!.

unintelligent, I don`t think there was any scrutineering (sp?) at Donnington, just a quick look as you lined up in the pit, probably differs from track to track most importantly noise output!

I think if you dumped oil (or coolant!) over the track you wouldn`t be very popular though.

7. unintelligent

understood about dumping - usually frowned on in most places - and hopefully this would not be an issue...(fingers crossed)

I guess the best way would be to turn up and find out

8. trendy tramp Forum Member

that's an understatement - you'd get lynched

tt

9. tylerrules84 Forum Member

I really hope so... as I'm getting one in a couple months from a friend. Track days aren't really prevalent here, but I'm looking into it... and if theres a track within a couple hours of here, that Porsche will see it on a regular basis, although it will not be a track-day-only type of thing.
    Edited by: tylerrules84

10. unintelligent

One other ting for example the Mallory Park track day - seems a bit of a daunting prospect (no disrespect meant) - some of the attendees have seriously fast cars and are experienced track drivers - whilst I am not intimidated by that I think I would feel uncomfortable doing my thing in the Mk1 with 'chrged motors sitting all over my arse (excuse the pun)

11. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

Don't be intimidated.. just drive sensibly... 'fast' drivers do not mind slower cars on th track, just look in your mirrors and safely move out of peoples way and indicate.
    I check my mirrors as i approach a corner, as i leave the corner and halfway along the straight.. no need to look every 2 seconds.

12. NoFearKid Banned

ok my figures where a little over the top but i dont have all day to work out the percentiles of car vs man [:D]

if a guy is on a track with his 911 turbo and im in my mk2 it doesnt matter how hard i drive unless he is a complete t**t he will roast me round the track without even getting near the redline

dont get me wrong i have beaten faster cars in my time and know what your saying, but i imagine at a track most of the time your gonna be getting passed by people thinking 'out the way small timer'

i think id rather go to a track day where everyone is in say a lotus ellise...... fair winner that way

13. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

I know me and Gary have passed M-Tech Roadsters
    Elises
    Porka 911's
    Caterfileds
    Evos
    Imprezas blah... blah... blah...

14. unintelligent

Thanks for that - careful I can do ....if I am on my bestest behaviour

15. NoFearKid Banned

im not saying you cant beat them im just saying id get annoyed at getting beated by someone full stop

on a motocross track you know everyone there is on similar bikes. you know when you pass or get overtaken its coz of your skill level

i know you may have passed bike cars but i bet its a load less than how many have passed you. not through skill tho. it must get to you a little

like i said i hate losing and when i go to a track, i try not to get passed once.

im yet to do a track day in a car but im just telling you why im not going to make a car. my mind may change if i did one

16. NoFearKid Banned

put it like this

if i raced gvk round a track and he beat me.

i'd say. its the car

now wouldnt that pee you off a bit?

if we raced round in ellise's and he beat me i'd have to deal with it

17. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

i'll follow you mate :)

18. Jeff Forum Junkie

I think youre missing the point of a track day. It's not a race!

I hear that racing is frowned upon on track days and could get you chucked out. I should think this would apply to you if you're trying your damndest not to be passed by people!

19. madmonkey Forum Addict

LOL, for a minimal fee I can provide a dynamic chicane experience. [:D] ;) :lol:

20. KeithMac Forum Junkie

NoFearKid, you are completely missing the point of trackdays, it`s just a means of driving your car car to it`s limits in relative safety without speedcameras etc getting in the way!

Obvously it`s nice to pass people but it`s not a race, it`s just a bunch of like minded people having some fun in their cars!