Track Day Cars...

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by Rallye, Dec 2, 2003.

1. prof Forum Addict

so it does!

i'm just a munta today [:$] [:s] [8(]
    Edited by: prof

2. Rallye Forum Junkie

heheh i had to phone 800gs to check the seq

3. AndrewF Forum Addict

all got a bit competetive back there didn't it!!! :lol:

i know it's hard not to treat it like a contest, but there ain't official timing so just go out and have fun! and improve your driving over the course of a day.

4. AndrewF Forum Addict

this gives me an idea....

who wants to buy a couple of metros for about 50, then try and see who can do the quickest lap? :lol:

5. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

I'll have a go.... you can't win when you are on your roof! :lol:

6. DarrenH Forum Member

people who say track days arent competative are lying :lol: half the fun is seeing what sort of metal you can keep up with. and i obviously dont mean putting them into the tyre wall just to get round the lap quicker than them.

7. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

We all know it gets competative... just look at me and Gary on his last lot of vids! :lol:

8. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Good debate this :lol:

As oddball says, half of the fun going on trackdays is seeing how you and your motor compare to others. BUT

One thing I will say though is, that if ANY faster ( around the track,not BHP) car is in my mirror, I'll pull over, whether its a 355 or a Fiat Panda - some people find it hard to yield for what they think is a lesser car though.

As Tub says it's not difficult to check your mirrors a few times on entry ,exit of a corner and halfway down a straight.

Nothing worse than the pratts who are slow through the corners and then nail it down the straight ( normally off the line) only to hold you up at the next corner, very frustrating and I believe that the organisers should do more to enforce this rule, when I went round Spa they had marshals with blue flags warning you of faster cars approaching.
    Edited by: G_V_K

9. NoFearKid Banned

thats what i was trying to get at [:D]

10. DarrenH Forum Member

at snetterton they had this ridiculous rule that you had to wait for the slower car infront to yeild, indicate, then wave you passed. you could get black flagged if caught just blasting past. i thought that was going to the extreme really.

i remember twice when i was on a flying lap, having to slow down and coast behind a guy in a stock mgf, round gerrards, then he noticed me, indicated, i overtake.

its allot of responsibility for both parties, i for one can understand you cant watch your mirrors all the time doing 100+ round a rac circuit when youre in the zone. put me off bookatrak thats for sure.

11. GVK

I think you need to be sure that who you're trying to pass HAS seen you though, they won't make a daft move then and maybe cause an accident.

Most of the time it's common sense though, check your mirrors before entering a corner.. there's a car coming rapidly behind you.

Wait till you're through the next corner then keep right with your indicator on.. let them pass, then re-join.

simple really.. but not for a lot of people :clap:

12. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

It's annoying when people move over and don't indicate.. you are never sure if they are letting you past or not!

13. DarrenH Forum Member

i think they called it consensual over taking, i.e only when the person infront says you can. in my opninion its taking track etiquette to a whole over level, almost intrusive.

14. GVK

Got to be a good thing for the safety aspect of it though.

Good job they don't have that rule at Donington Trackzone days , we'd drive round in a procession all f*cking day [:x]
    Edited by: G_V_K

15. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

Nah... not us. Not BTCC enough!

16. DarrenH Forum Member

look closesly at my sig image, didnt even enforce helmets at combe, aah the bad ol days :lol:

17. Dub20vt Forum Member

kind of makes sense about the indicating from a safety aspect but god that'd be boring... you'd never be able to get a proper hot lap in!

plus some of the more expensive car on track would probably not like yielding to a 10+ year old golf... a certain griffith i encountered at combe on the classic day proved that! well i don't think he was expecting me to go past on the straight either! :lol:

18. GVK

This the point i'm trying to make further back in this thread.

19. Dub20vt Forum Member

yea happens everywhere unfortunatly... aka the porsche in the vid of tub following you!

20. AndrewF Forum Addict

whats the deal with overtaking through corners...

i'm guessing its a big no no?

now, before you all think i've gone nuts, when i'm in practice and qualifying i don't let anyone whose quick follow me, ever! reason is cause i don't want them to copy me if i'm better at any part of the track! also, i've raced in multi car series (me in ffirst, others in ffords) and the faster cars catch you a lot...even in the race occasionally. i like to let them through in the way that slows me down the least. my favourite move at silverstone is to go really wide round luffield and let them up the inside. then i can usually still get a good run out the corner.

so what if i indicated and moved to the outside of the corner (the right type of corner mind) to let faster cars through...would the organisers dislike it?