What a bag of S***

Discussion in 'Engines' started by suttonval, Aug 18, 2006.

1. suttonval Forum Member

Anyone? [:s]

2. vwgolfgtimkii Forum Member

I still think its the hall sender :(

3. suttonval Forum Member

What does the hall sender do??? I put my ear over the fuel pump earlier in the boot and it was buzzing like normal, got my gf to rev the car, whenever the car made that spluttering noise the fuel pump whined. So its making me suspect the fuel pump a bit more.

4. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

ok.... disconnect the ISV whilst the engine is running and see what that does.

then, whilst running again, try unplugging the water temp sensor that goes to the ECU (its on the gearbox side of the head, 2 pins, its near that big multi cable plug

when that is disconnected it should make the car run super rich and splutter.

5. suttonval Forum Member

F*** it, the things going to the scrapyard. Anyone want a mint MK3 16valver with an engine that runs like a bag of nails??

6. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

did you try the above?

7. suttonval Forum Member

I havent yet mate, its pitch black and im feeling very much under the influence. I will check it in the morning, but ive seriously lost all hope with this car. I've spent silly amounts of money on it and its treated me like ****!!

I just cant figure it out, i havent changed the fuel pump yet which i plan to do on monday morning when the parts supplier is open, but other than that i just dont understand it.

To be honest for the cost of the insurance, petrol, parts and the grief its giving me, i think id rather just get a bus pass and walk, theres too many cars on the road anyway.[:^(]

The way im feeling now i just want to get it running so i can run it into the ground!!!

8. vw.man Forum Member

If it's any help I think my fuel pump has just given up the ghost (Vento - same as Mk3). It was whining only when the tank was full for some reason, set off on long journey today and after 100 miles it started pinking really badly - virtually undrivable. Had to park it, will get breakdown man to it tomorrow. Fuel pump was making a helluva noise, even the idle was affected by the time I gave it up - quite a nice hubba-hubba noise, bit like a Scooby!

Not the same symptoms as yours Suttonval, but it might help you to narrow down your problem.

Martyn
    '94 Vento 16v

9. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

seriously, i felt the same at the start. problem after problem, at one stage it ran but only managed 20mpg etc.

im sure it can be fixed

are you sure that all of the loom is intact?

10. suttonval Forum Member

Cheers for all of the support and help guys, much appreciated. I just loved driving my valver and hate having to walk everywhere, grrrrr. Dont get me wrong, its still driveable (if youve got a death wish) it just likes bunnyhopping places.

I dont even know if its the fuel pump. If the cars idling (at around 810rpm) and i tap the throttle it splutters and judders until the revs pick up a bit, sometimes its close to cutting out. Almost like the fuel pressure is really low and the injectors are being starved, its fine in the higher revs. It seems to idle okay when left alone, a bit spluttery though, its when you press the accelerator the problems start, imagine pressing the throttle quickly, no response for a split second, then a gargle with the engine almost stalling, then it revs a little.

As for the loom i wouldnt know if it wasnt intact to be honest. the car was running fine when i got it about 3 months ago, and has covered 4,000 miles since then with no problems up until about two weeks ago.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2006
  11. BIG AL

BIG AL Forum Member

The mk3 16v has just the one pump in the tank. Other things you could check are for leaks on the throttle body or inlet manifold, and all associated hoses.

12. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

that dodgy idle would almost sound like over rich. are the plugs sooty?

im going to take the hose off my fuel pressure regulator tommorow and put some WD40 in there incase mine is sticky.

13. suttonval Forum Member

I replaced all the plugs about three weeks ago, not long before all this started happening. Checked them all this morning and they are all looking healthy.

Fuel pressure regulator?? Where is this? is it worth me getting a pressure gauge and checking the pressure my fuel pump is producing before replacing?? Im looking at about 80quid plus the VAT for a new fuel pump.

14. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

it is just to the right of the oil filler cap. it has a vac hose leading to it. thats the fuel pressure regulator.

the hose to mine had gone solid and brittle. it fell apart in my hands, hence i replaced them all

15. suttonval Forum Member

Okay, ill check the fuel pressure regulator now, what signs am i looking for?? Ill have a look now!

16. BIG AL

BIG AL Forum Member

Well I'v just been looking through this months Golf+ mags help section, and there is a question about a missfire under load on a mk3 16v. The awnser given is that the throttle position sensor could be faulty, and that this is a common problem with these cars. Dunno if this helps?[:s]

Last edited: Aug 19, 2006
  17. suttonval Forum Member

Right an update. Ive had all the breathers hoses etc off and recleaned them again. Tried disconnecting the ISV and the car wouldnt start at all. The car is running a little better now.

Im starting to think it could be the fuel pump relay again. I put the old broken one back in that caused the previous owner juddering problems etc like im having and its doing exactly the same thing!! What are the chances of it being a fuel pump relay again?? Fingers crossed it is, and where can i source one from on a Sunday?

Someones just suggested i run some injector cleaner through it aswell, could one of the injectors be blocked perhaps???

Last edited: Aug 20, 2006
  18. rocco2litre

rocco2litre Forum Junkie

16v

why dont you book it into vw dealer for "diagnosis"
    instead of throwing bits at bit

19. suttonval Forum Member

Trouble is im pretty much certain its to do with fuel sometimes not getting to the engine, a faulty fuel pump wouldnt show up on vagcom would it?

20. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

if you do use an injector cleaner, go for Millers.

if you want to talk through some of the problems, you can call me on 07988 689324

did you try the water temp sensor?