What a bag of S***

Discussion in 'Engines' started by suttonval, Aug 18, 2006.

1. suttonval Forum Member

cheers for all your support guys, given me a load of ammunition to take to VW tomorrow morning!!! the technicians are there tomorrow, but apparently i need to take the 'head technician' out in the car on wednesday; which is when he is back in, for a drive to show him the problem!!! I mean come on, they told me the problem had been eradicated!

What really makes me angry is that my gf picked the car up and they knew full well that the car wasnt road worthy! Would you be happy with your loved one driving a knackered car?? its wrong, i think ive got a really good case against them!

2. the fat stig

the fat stig Forum Member

the thing with vw technians is that they rarely see cars that are older than say 5 yrs . they are called technians as they ( on the most part anyway) rely on diagnostic computers to find faults rather than knowlage gained by working on a older car . i am not saying every dealer is like that as i am sure there are those who would find the fault and not cause you to remorgage your house to pay for unecessary repairs . i shall now step down from my soapbox ![:x]

3. oak8vgti Forum Member

Lambda probe????

Fixed a mk3 gti with juddering acceleration and crap idle.

4. Gonz Forum Member

vagcom for that then or a scope to check the signal...

5. oak8vgti Forum Member

poss but not always shows up

6. suttonval Forum Member

The bag of nails is booked into VW on wednesday morning, apparently thats when the master technician will be there or something. Just been out and had a look over the car this morning and aswell as them changing the fuel pump relay with some knackered thing theyve also changed the maf sensor and not told me!"!![:x] Why on earth have they done this, i know its not the MAF as the same problem is there with or without it connected. The one they have replaced mine with is a different colour!! The little sensor bit is orange instead of black like the previous one! What colour should the little sensor be??? Or was mine just so dirty it had turned black??

7. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

our ABFs do not have a maf sensor. there is a map sensor, but thats part of the ECU

do you mean the probe just after the air box?

thats a temp sensor.

have you checked whether or not any of the loom is melted etc?

8. suttonval Forum Member

Not long realised after posting that it is the Intake air temp sensor, weird the way theyve changed it though. Ive checked as much wiring as possible and nothing seems disconnecting or melted etc, its weird.

When it isnt juddering and spluttering the car is running faster than it ever has, really responsive and sharp, then from nowhere, splutter splutter, judder, judder. Have to really back off the throttle and gently apply it, sometimes it just splutters and dies. I could do with someome coming over that has a mk3 abf so we can change various sensors etc try and pin the problem down.

Ive managed to get myself a full copy of vagcom just need a lead now so i can have a really good look at everything.

9. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

have you checked all vac pipes etc? i re did mine again the other day when i changed the fuel pressure regulator. i got some vac pipe from a normal motor spare shop and then i spied some fuel hose clips (tiny jubilee clips)

i did the fuel pressure reg and then the ecu, 1 metre does it easily (i have a spare metre now lol) so my vacs are perfect and the throttle response is perfect now and MPG up too, plug i have more push over 5500rpm

my penis is bigger too..... so all these little improvements go a long way

have you checked the ecu vac hose?

10. suttonval Forum Member

Is the ecu vac hose the tiny one coming off the top of the throttle body on the left hand side, or the bigger one on the right hand side????

11. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

it is just after the throttle body on the bulk head side of the manifold, a hose that goes into the ECU area.

when mine is taken off it wont even idle.

my original hose was dead, did not seal properly. i changed it for some clear washer nozzle hose but that was a waste of time, but not it has real hose PLUS the clips they should never go wrong again

it goes to the map sensor in the ecu. if it is not connecter properly, the manifold has an air leak and the ecu thinks the thottle is open, hence over fuels and runs like crap

12. suttonval Forum Member

That hose is in perfect condition with no leaks at all, car just cuts out with it disconnected. If i remove my fuel pressure regulator to clean it will i get caked in petrol if i depressurise the system first (fuel pump relay disconnected etc) and is it easy enough to remove, clean and refit???

Does the car have an EGR Valve????

Last edited: Aug 28, 2006
  13. monzablue2.016v Forum Member

If the rev counter is bouncing around then its sounds even more like a hall sender problem as the rev counter uses the pulses from the sender.
    A replacement for my MK2 16v was about 15 quid from GSF>>

So quite cheap and an easy check rather than VW charge you 40+ an hour and say it took 3 hrs to find the fault.

14. suttonval Forum Member

GSF dont stock the hall sender for the 2ltr abf engine or the distributor, they stock them for the 8v and vr6 but not 16v. Euro car parts sell the complete dizzy but havent got any in stock.

VW are going to look at it again on wednesday free of charge to try and find the fault because of the amount of fuss i kicked up.

15. monzablue2.016v Forum Member

It may well be the same part, have a look at it in the dizzy and compare to the mk2 one.
    If not do a web search of breakers and theyll send you one in a day or two, a fair price is around 50 - 60.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2006
  16. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

fuel pressure reg is one C-clip to remove. its best to take off the plastic holder that holds the HT cable for better access.

you have to prise and wiggle it out.

i put a bit of WD40 and oil in mine to make sure it was not sticky. this cured my knocking prob between 2-3krpm and i definately have more pull over 5.5krpm. the rubber seals were starting to die to i just got a new one.

VW wanted 60 something

ECP wanted 25+vat and it was a pierburg one

this car is so damn economical now. ive done 330 on my current tank, god knows how many MPG that is, but a lot for a 2.0 16v with possibly near 180bhp that gets a lot of stick all the time

17. suttonval Forum Member

Mines proving to be very economical being as it hasnt moved off my drive in 5 days[:^(]

ive just been out tinkering with it now, and ive noticed the wires leading to the throttle position sensor at the back of the manifold are rather close to the heatshield on the exhaust and have become somewhat burnt, i cant quite get close enough to see how badly without removing stuff, all the plastic shroud around them has melted etc, What kind of symptoms would a non-functioning throttle position sensor make??

Ive also noticed that before VW had the car the auto choke would stay on for a good 15seconds holding the revs at about 1100 before dropping down to around 850, now when i start the car from cold the revs settle down to 850 after about 3 seconds!! what would be causing this???

Last edited: Aug 29, 2006
  18. Mike_H Forum Addict

Didn't you say they changed the temp sensor?

19. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

my abf managed to melt the wiring for the 3 and 2 pin throttle sensors plus the dummy one that goes to the breather.

after that i got a lot of throttle response back.

if your 3 pin throttle switch is telling the ECU that the throttle is wide open when in fact its not, it will be dumping tons of fuel in there.

from experiance (ie mine melted its own wires) i would take those cables from above the exhaust manifold, and have them re routed. in the process you can see if they are dead and then re route them to make sure they do not cook

20. VwGtTdi Forum Member

My 8v has this problem only slight tho, But it seem`s to be getting worse quick. Mainly on the motorways between 3.000 - 4.000 RPM, It dos`nt seem to pick up without the kangaroo mode kicking in unless ur foot is to the floor.
    I took it to awesome gti and they couldn`t find a fault on the vag com, So the took the inlet manifold apart and cleaned it.
    The problem was still there so i decided to change the fuel filter as i thought there was **** in the filter but still the same. So last wkend i put new spark plugs on and that didnt help.
    The only other option i can think is to book it in for a rolling road tune up, Hopefully the`ll find the problem.

If any one has any ideas on what i could try pls let me know. [:$]

Last edited: Aug 30, 2006