AIR FILTER

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Prash, Nov 15, 2004.

1. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

LOL no worries..
    This is an interesting exchange.. we're all enthusiasts here foremost I think..:thumbup:
    Maybe you guys can send me some info.. or samples etc.. I am always looking for decent products.. :clap:

2. pipercross New Member

My job is to design filters and test them.

Changing the foam in a filter system is not something you can advertise on full page in Maxpower. We are starting with the forums to try and get our message across to the people who count(the enthusiasts)

About the dealers you are right, if some thing was wrong with the brakes they would blame the filter!!

Take a look at the below link for informatio and our latest products on the 1.8T

http://www.pipercross.net/vis_product.asp

3. badger5

Now I like the look of the Velocity Intake..
    much the same as Carbonio, AEM and the like pipe wise..
    What filter is on the end? Picture is'nt too clear.
    Can one of your sales guys send me some dealer info?

cheers
    bill

4. vwpolo2000 Forum Member

Good information guys :clap:
    I still laugh when people claim that induction kits make an engine lose power :lol:
    Edited by: vwpolo2000

5. prof Forum Addict

they will if it just picks up hot air from the engine, or causes it to run really lean like what used to happen on carbed engines with K&Ns

6. vwpolo2000 Forum Member

Yes, but on most performance vw's the airbox isn't behind the engine, like on carb engined vw's.
    If the airbox is behind the engine then fitting an induction kit will draw in hot air.
    On mk2/mk3 golf gti/vr6 for example the airbox sits at the front, so an induction kit won't draw in hot air when the car is in foward motion.

7. Andy947 Forum Addict

Stop talkin out ur arse.

The whole bay gets warm, heat from the rad and radiant heat from all the components.

Thatd why you need a heat shield :clap: :clap:

8. edc1 Forum Member

Or extend the intake to outside draw air from outside the heat of the engine bay

9. vwpolo2000 Forum Member

Sorry if you think that mate but its basic physics.
    If the cone is right in the wing, at the front of the engine bay, it will mainly suck in cold air, just in the same way that a rad is cooled from the in-rush of cool air when the car is in foward motion.
    Hot air intake will be minimal except at low speeds.
    Its not hard :lol:

10. Andy947 Forum Addict

You completely forget the fact it will be behind a headlight and other parts, and that the airflow inside the engine bay will be very turbulent causing the cold air to get mixed with all that lovely warm air leaving the rad and passing over all the hot components.

That is why you need to have the filter in a seperate compartmean taking an air feed from somewhere other than the engine bay

I'd recommend you go do some fluid dynamics on a car engine bay and come back with your results :)

11. edc1 Forum Member

Not quite. The stock airbox is fed air from outside the main engine bay area. It's not so much the position of the filter itself more where the actual intake air is coming from. After all you can put a cone filter in the same place a paper element is and it ain't going to help you much.

12. ValverPaul Forum Member

:clap: :lol: Andy 947 making more friends!! :lol: Nice to see some of the ACTUAL people involved in R&D of induction kits exchange (if a little heated) views!!
    By the way I have a K&N ind. kit for my Mk3 16v gti and i've had no probs so far, I fitted one on my old Mk4 1.6 16v and it had flatspots everywhere!! [:s]
    I think these things perform differently for different engines (size, location of filter, MAF performance) all you can do is a little research for YOUR car and make your choice!!
    I chose K&N for their reputation, price and personal recommendations from mates, but i'd try a Pipercross if anyone offered me one!! ;) *Cough* [:D]

13. Andy947 Forum Addict

:lol: :lol: Well. sayin i dont know me basic physics, Christ, That MEng Degree certificate i got must be a fake then eh ;)

14. ValverPaul Forum Member

As usual its not what you say its how you say it Andy!! :p Tell polo2000 you disagree, not that he's talking out his ar5e!! ;)

15. Andy947 Forum Addict

Well if i heard him sayin it out loud, i'd say out loud he was talking out his arse ;) :lol:

16. S1MMA Forum Member

agree with andy on this one, unless its boxed off the cold air will mix with the warm air, I've not done any tests on this (assuming andy has) so thats fair enough.

So these foam Piprx filters dont have much/any oil on them? Do you guys have any applications for Fiat Coupe 20V Turbos in a similar style foam??? Maybe we can get somewhere for the Coupe boys too (everyone with a tuned coupe are all after a decent filter, as 1.2-1.4 bar tends to draw in a lot of air!).

17. Andy947 Forum Addict

Not actually done tests, but seem diagrams of the air flow, and it isnt as simple a cold air in front and warm qir out the back ;) :lol:

18. badger5

Engine bays get very hot...
    unshielded cone filters and the like will breathe this in.. sound nice but rob power from hotter less dense air..
    Cold air feed is essential for proper power, sealed ideally.
    see on my Ibiza the flexi pipe (100mm) which leads into the large Dynatwist filter.. (cone in a can)
    [​IMG]
    Edited by: badger-bill

19. pipercross New Member

Soon I will test the above for my R&D, I will test the Air temp in the intake track and also the air pressure. With this information I will be able to calculate the amount of oxygen (not volume of air) the engine is consuming, more oxygen, more power.

20. Andy947 Forum Addict

you shouldnt really be using the term 'amount'

Use the term 'mass' of oxygen, much better ;) :p