AIR FILTER

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Prash, Nov 15, 2004.

1. mark25 Forum Junkie

so, organise a day at a RR, mag, cars, pay, etc, etc, get yourself there, bla, bla, but getting spanners out when you're actually there could be going a bit OTT right........WTF!

Why not? especially if you're confident enough to get a mag involved at the RR filter test? I'm sorry, i read carefully, but i fail to see any logic in you posting! Any test performed, especially if the test protocol is as sloppy as your spelling, could have the value of, er..................

what's more, my general lack of confidence, didn't improve after this post either.......

I'm at the point of suggesting a whip-round, so someone (maybe prof) could do some 'Independant' filter testing under 'controlled conditions'.

2. greg s Forum Member

Don't you mean:

[:s] [:?:]

3. fthaimike Forum Addict

Having so many runs how much time would you need in between as wouldnt it start to get a bit hot by the end?

EDIT:
    p.s. do we always have to bicker on here even when theres some decent stuff being thrown around.

(i'll have my dummy back now) ;)
    Edited by: fthaimike

4. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

I don't see why Prof's car wouldn't be ideal for the test - panel filter vs. panel filter, paper vs. Pipercross. That way all you are testing is the actual resistance of the filter media and how it affects power, which is surely what most people want to know? Regardless of the location, ANY decent rolling road will put out repeatable results. It doesn't matter whether they are repeatedly 100bhp higher than the true figures or 88.4658bhp lower than the true figures...... it's only the difference that people are interested in. TBH if Pipercross, with their hefty budget, back out of a witnessed (by Pipercross, the RR operator, and the car owner) independent test on a CGti members car..... I wouldn't trust them round the corner with a baby elephant.
    As Stealth seem to know their stuff regarding 16v's, it would be in PiperX's best interest to use them - because they can probably set up the car to take advantage of any increased airflow better than anywhere else......

5. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

6. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Oh.Lifetime guarantee. Foam doesn't degrade.....

So I presume, Mr sales manager, that you'll be happy to replace this free of charge?

[​IMG][/IMG]

It's been throwing bits of filter foam down the carbs....

IMO, Pipercross are useless, indeed harmful. Two layers of cheap crap does not make a good filter.....
    Edited by: TheSecondComing

7. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

tumbleweed blows across this post... not a sign of PiperX man. (or is there?) :p ;)

8. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Hehe, I just pulled that filter off a mate's car, and had trouble keeping it in one piece just to take the pic. Thought I would bump the thread....
    I think I would rather bite my own cock off, than put a pipercross filter on anything. Even my Chainsaw has a better air filter than that.

9. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Actually I just tripped over my old Atco lawnmower going out to the garage in the dark. It's got a better filter too, and it's about 40 years old....... :lol:
    Don't know if it has a "lifetime guarantee" though. [:|]

10. Unknown Forum Junkie

11. mark25 Forum Junkie

^^ his tests look like a right POS !! using the inside of the car on a hilclimb as an atmosheric pressure reference, what a merchant banker...

12. Polo Classic Forum Member

A few guys in Svenska GTI klubben (the swedish GTI club) tested all in all 20 filters in a standard Golf IV GTI, both cone filters and standard drop in filters. The one with most power was Biltema drop-in paperfilter, a swedish parts supplier, much like ECP/Halfords, only cheaper.

13. crez New Member

o what's the final view then? (4 years later ;) !). My mk3 2l 8v is having idling, over reving and stalling problems now. Apprantly all dow to the k+n induction kit. So... do I buy a standard air box with upgraded cotton filter, or a closed system induction kit....

Mine is obviuosly causing problems so has to go... but what for. lets see how many arguments this will start offf again to ;)

14. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

what a classic

15. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Why do you say "all down to the k&n"?
    Those symptoms could be down to a failing coolant temp. sensor, for instance
    Not that I would advocate 'induction kits', but...

16. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

i bet the vac hoses for the warm air flap have been pulled off, not plugged, leaving a nice vac leak for the inlet manifold and hence the issues

17. Bobby_T_16v Forum Member

Im using a pipercross filter and notice a difference over the standard paper filter, but it might only be my mind playing tricks on me and its only a slight increase.

I think there shold be a test done, even if not officially, just to give us an idea.

18. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

Id love to too, im not bearing the cost of it though, would split it if anyone local wanted to play along.

my airbox had a k&n in there, the reason i got rid of it was that there were big holes in the cotton gauze, 1mm holes etc...cant be filtering well at all

i got the piperx, you cant even see light getting through so at least i know im getting filtered air

19. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

i have seen a big independant test before.... testing filtraton and power.

the apexi cone won hands down... the HKS cone was shockingly bad, almost zero filtration

20. Sukh

Sukh Membership Team Admin

Well reading this post I would agree that foam filters are bad, I'm running a K&N panel filter, feels better and can be recharged saving on a new filter everytime.