Big Fast Cars

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by Spawn_of_Satan_666, Sep 7, 2007.

1. mk1steve Forum Member

and your statement was very generalised about mk2's that was my gripe with your post there are ones that could surprise alot of more expensive machinerly because theve "played with thier cars" how would others know its not a sleeper

but as you said it

ageing family car designed in the 80s.

what does age have to do with its speed, as stated before alot of older cars are quicker than they where from factory due people modifying them how would this rs4 know that his golf didnt have a vr6 turbo or a 20v in it??

you always snap at people and post broad comments about how bad/old/useless golfs and there owners are and tbh your doing it again[:x]

2. Spawn_of_Satan_666

Spawn_of_Satan_666 Forum Member

164bhp in a stripped out golf is pretty quick.

These were just middle aged guys who should have known better, probably trying to relive their younger days. [:x]

3. inoakgreen Forum Member

although i do say without a question of a doubt, cars like RS4's and CLK's are better motors than golfs, i am more interested in, buy, respect cars that are within my capabilities. therefore i'll never knock an old vw (watercooled ones anyway:lol: :lol: :lol: )

4. Spawn_of_Satan_666

I would hope so, the SLK AMG is worth over 80k (i think). Thats a lot of golfs!!

5. Seraph Banned

No,...thats just your defensive perception of it.

I'm not putting mk2s down. Where does it say they are useless, pointless or a liability?
    But its pointless to deny what they are - ageing cars designed in the late 70s.

And as you say, this has little to do with the car's speed.
    But this doesn't necessarily concern what is actual fact - it concerns what the other driver believed.....and the 'popular' perception of a mk2, is that it's an old car in 'all' senses.

True, the driver didn't know if it was modified - but very few actually are in reality (besides, an rs4 would wipe the floor with a 280hp mk2 anyway)

Some would say you're bringing in a sub agenda which isn't that relevant to this debate.

6. andymark1 Forum Member

Ok so a high ps car ****ed all over your car so what!! i have the same problem on my push bike with R1's & CBR's i peddle faster but i still can't keep up...just let it go..

7. Spawn_of_Satan_666

and the 'popular' perception of a mk2, is that it's an old car in 'all' senses.

An old car yes, but everyone recognises a GTI and mine certainly doesn't look standard. Don't forget it was a 'hot hatch' in its day.

8. perryqhill Forum Member

Why?

I'm 33, have a mk2 Golf and people in similar cars do it to me all the time - sometimes it's fast cars and quite often it's family type people with modern diesel saloons. It's as if they have to show off or test their cars and take the scalp of something like a GTi.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2007
  9. perryqhill Forum Member

Maybe the exact reason why they do it?

10. Spawn_of_Satan_666

Totally agree. :clap:

11. inoakgreen Forum Member

i take it as a complement if someone in another car tries to out-drag mine!!! it tells me everybody knows a gti, and its potential. so when they then go down the pub bragging, just kept up/whooped a gti, they saying they kept up/whooped a fast car!!! i can live with that!!!

12. Matt G Forum Member

Just let them go, dont even bother to acknowledge them.

Ive seen the result of people "racing or trying to race" and the result was two people dead (one completely innocent person - travelling on the other side of the road), and another person in prison with a seven year sentence and an eight year ban.

It certainly woke me up.

13. Seraph Banned

Exactly, you've reiterated my exact point.:thumbup:
    Many modern, mid diesels are on par with a mk2 gti, or possibly slightly ahead. Thus there is 'some' element of challenge for them.

Everything else equal, there is no challenge for such high powered prestige cars against much less powered cars.
    And if anyone should do this, and although highly implausible is still possible, they must have a very deranged perception of 'challenge' or 'testing their car'. I don't see that this 'type' of businessman/person would be as such.

Also, People (e.g. middle aged businessmen) are from the previous generation to you. Their understanding of modern tuning is likely to centre around things most familiar to regular people, i.e. bolt on tuning parts seen in halfords. They are less likely to anticipate a mk2 with an engine from 20yrs later.

The other problem with this type of thread, is it littered with subjective ideas like 'fast' and 'racing', none of which can really be pinned down.

14. Tspec

Tspec Forum Member

id be more worried about pushing a mk2 too much and the engine falling to pieces than if some fat sales rep or jonny mondeo wanted a race.

15. Spawn_of_Satan_666

I think the majority wouldn't bother racing anyway. Nothing to proove by beating a mondeo, but a lot to loose.

16. inoakgreen Forum Member

i've not been in or driven RS4's or SLK/CLK's, so i cant say how fun they are. but what i can say is mk1's/mk2's/mk3's(vr's) are. thats what they're all about!!! and for the same money, you'd struggle to find better all-rounders. the above cars are just on a next level. for their owners to be getting a buzz from blowing away a gti will be like us getting something out dragging micras!!! would this impress you????

17. Spawn_of_Satan_666

Depends, i've seen a micra with a nissan touring car engine fitted!! :lol:

18. perryqhill Forum Member

I don't really think you have a point. We know it isn't a challenge for some of them - there is no real reason for it - it still happens. You're looking too deepling into it to try and justify you making some 'point' which doesn't really exist.

As for the highligted bit in bold - what on earth are you babbling on about? Are you really trying to suggest that people with such high powered cars wouldn't want to blow away some person who's pride and joy is a modified mk2 Golf? That they wouldn't do it for a laugh, that they don't want to show off? and that they would only have a bit of a mess around with a similar powered car - when is the next one of those coming along then?

Maybe these people from an older generation as you suggest won't push theirselves and their cars like they used to, but like a quick blast now and again for some kind of ego boost?

I've no real idea, but it happens often enough.

19. Seraph Banned

Oh dear, here we go again.

Well, you're entitled to your opinion.

Too deep I take it you mean? According to who - you?
    There's definitely a point here. One which seems to offend you somehow enough to precipitate your defensive reaction.

Is it too complicated for you? Would capitals help you? No one else seems to have a problem.

Yes I am.
    As previously stated, the majority of prestige car owners wouldn't know a modified mk2 if it bit them.

Yes again - theres many more prestige cars than mk2's on the roads.

Absolutely, no one denies this. They probably won't however, do it using a mk2 as their bench mark.

20. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

You can't really be surprised at defensive responses to incendiarism like this Seraph? :lol:

"Ageing family car" may be technically a fair(ish) description, but why show such overt disrespect for a car that a large proportion of people on here love?

You just like a good fight ;) .