Corrado Race Car Project

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by vwgolfmk1, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Polog4tracer Forum Member

2. Southy_GTI Forum Member

That is flipping outstanding!

A longer intake with a velocitiy stack, proper race header and a 3" exhaust will unleash some serious power!

3. vwgolfmk1 Forum Member

Cheers
    Don't know if i have enough room for longer intake. Nowwhere over here in Ireland to
    get proper headed made unfortunalty. 3" is too big a exhaust for the k20 unless its a fairly
    high spec built motor, my engine man/ tuner has seen them motors loosing power when lads fitted
    fancy 3" exhausts.
    The head is off it at the mo, buzzed it twice at the last race day 2wks ago. 25/32% cylinder leakage on 2 cylinders so need to get that sorted. nxt race is in 3wks so hav to get my finger out.
    Making up a moddified shifter as i got 1st gear instead of 3rd twice hense the head off her.

4. Southy_GTI Forum Member

Bummer - you have to post a picture of the wonkey valves for the craic :lol:

Its easy to do, I've hit 11000 rpm once or twice but with no P2V contact luckily!!

Regarding headers & exhausts, is it the stock DC5 4-2-1 your running at the moment? If so an off the shelf race header could be tweaked to fit / clear the sway bar?

5. vwgolfmk1 Forum Member

No sign of bent valves [:s], must have been getting sick before i buzzed it so.
    Just didn't feel right at the last race, ill know more 2mr when i ring my engine man.

Regarding the exhaust, i'm using the top 4-2 section from the DC5 and i got the
    2-1 back custom made. 2-1 section was specced for the engine in relation to the
    lenghts of the secondary pipes etc. My engine/tuner man recon'd the exhaust didn't
    hurt it top much power wise.
    It made 255bhp and 166ftlbs after mapping
    A proper header is sometime i would like to get in the future tho

I had a slightly longer intake on it before but i have better throttle response with this one.
    Might play around with different lenghts on the dyno if we have time

I wanna concentrate on getting the handling spot on first before i go chasing more
    power.

Was having bit of hassle with turn in last day so i'm swapping the front (570) and
    rear(520) springs and refitting the standard front anti roll-bar. I have to much rear
    grip so need to loosen it up a bit.

Also in the process of making a front splitter and air dam, i have the splitter cut out just
    have to sort out mounting it now, might not have it ready for the nxt rnd tho

Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
  6. vwgolfmk1 Forum Member

Got the engine all sorted. It had overheated massively, valve seats all deformed etc[:s]
    We did a bit of upgrading while rebuilding it.
    Full Skunk2 valve train (pro valves, Titanium retainers, Tuner springs)
    Uprated Toda chain tensionerr, Honda chain and I fitted a set of rings and Big end bearings aswel.
    When put her up on the Dyno for tune up we found we had no V-tec [:s] which we determined that it was the same case for the last race. Which made the times i done excellent since I was down a good 60-70bhp.
    After a lot of headscratching we found the prob (glitch in the ECU)
    Prob sorted it now makes 270bhp and 171ftlbs [:D].
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

On the Dyno
    [​IMG][/IMG]

Qualified 5th on the grid. after few laps a civic lost control and came across the track infront of me, I had nowher to go and ploughed straight into him. Race over for both of us. I managed to get the corraod fixed up enough for 2nd race (still had bent wishbone) and tyres were f**ked.
    Vid of the 2nd race from 2wks ago. Sorry about the sound
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBWWRWxb3aU

Pic of the crash, Civic has to be reshelled, I have to replace bonnet,RH wing, front panel, bumper bar and bumper oh and wishbone
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Pic of the car back home after bein fixed up for 2nd race.[​IMG][/IMG]

Last edited: May 29, 2011
  7. vwgolfmk1 Forum Member

Car all stripped ready to get inner wing straightened and fresh panels
    [​IMG][/IMG]

Bonnet all lightened ready for paint
    [​IMG][/IMG]

8. 16valver Forum Member

Great news re the new engine. Gues you were obviously miffed that it was not making the power but at the same time happy to know that you effectively have better pace than you first thought.

Shame about the damage but guess thats just the way it is. My mk1 has has front end damage in a previous life. It was a track car before I had it and a winning hillclimb car before that so it happened somewhere along the line. It has had a O/S chassis leg replaced and inner panel damage repaired. Sure I will add my mark also, hopefully not too soon :lol:

9. mk2sp Forum Member

Nice video!

Engine sounds and seems to perform fantastic now. Much better than previous videos i've watched from you. Welldone!

No tires and bent wishbone can prove why it is hard for you and the car to put the power down after apex.

Look forward watching a next-proper video from your Corrado...:thumbup:

10. Southy_GTI Forum Member

Seems move through the gears alot quicker now, is that the stock DC5 final drive? Also did you leave the stock cams after the head rebuild?

11. vwgolfmk1 Forum Member

Nope its a slightly higher FD, 5.46 as apposed to 4.76 standard,
    Still running the standard DC5 cams aswel. Was an unexpected rebuild and money a bit tight.
    Didn't want to go mad on the engine and wanted to keep reliabilty.
    Don't really need cams anyways with the power its making now :)

12. 16valver Forum Member

I watched the latest video the other night and it looks properly quick!

Was the E36 BMW an M3?

It did look like the steering seems to move up and down slightly? Maybe the is just the vid?

Ali

13. vwgolfmk1 Forum Member

@ 16valver, Its a 325 shell with complete M3 running gear. Properly quick car
    and good driver. Yeah steering was moving a bit alri, it got loose after the crash in 1st race.
    I have it all tightened up now tho.

Looking forward to next race day on the 26th, get a proper run at it without any probs hopefully.

Ill have the camera all charged up :)

14. vwgolfmk1 Forum Member

All fixed up after the crash

[​IMG][/IMG]

Had load of trouble at last race day, wknd before last.

Broke 2 CV's. eventually got out in 2nd race but had to start back of the grid [8(]
    Manager to work my way up thru the field from 22nd to 6th by half way thru the 15min race, car was absolutly flying and I was doin the 2nd fasted lap times out of every1.

BUT then disaster, cyl 4 rod broke at 8,500rpm and totally distroyed the engine
    When I took the sump off day after there was no piston left only a handful of bits in the sump,
    Rod punched big hole in block towards cyl 3 aswel [:^(] engine is complete scrap [xx(]

You can see the valves in one of the pics :o
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

Parking the car up for awhile as startong building a house and need a break for the car [:v:]

15. Southy_GTI Forum Member

Hard luck on throwing a rod.

Once you finished with the house get a K24 bottom end in there!

16. scruffydubber Paid Member Paid Member

Great project. Shame you've had a bit of bad luck recently.

I noticed your using a Hondata K-Pro ECU.
    Do you install this and wiring it as a custom ECU?
    Or does it plug into the standard K20 loom?

When you did the conversion was the wiring hard? did you have to get the car mapped before using it.

Do you think it possible to use the original mounts on the subframe with some custom brackets?

And if you had a standard servo and mastercylinder would it foul on the engine?

Thanks for any info, sorry if I've missed my asnwers in the thread.

17. Southy_GTI Forum Member

18. scruffydubber Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks for the reply, Do you know if these ECU's have any immobilisers to get around?

19. Southy_GTI Forum Member

You can disable the immobiliser with Kpro

20. vwgolfmk1 Forum Member

Its well over a year since did anything with the car or update the thread.
    anyways i have desided to get her fixed up with some new updates.
    I can't get a k24 bottom end over here so going to have to stay with the 2lt.
    busy researching piston and rods at the mo but think i've came to a desicion with advice from my tuner.
    Going with Wiseco pistons (standard size) and K1 conrods probably I beam.
    The head will be getting a full rebuild incl new valves etc
    Sticking with the standard cams as they made lots of power before.
    all new bearings, uprated timing chain and tensioner. New oil pump, oil cooler and lines.

Just goin to get a standard box with a diff in it for now till i can sort money for the quaife sequential.

I plan to raise the engine 10-20mm on new custom engine mounts (just not happy with drive shaft angle) also sort out vr6 outer cvs and hubs which will be redrilled 4x100.
    Going to make and fit a front splitter. Make and fit a rear axle toe stabiliser kit. Prob have to make a custom alli fuel tank tho to allow fitment.
    Going to make up a full new custom exhaust manifold later aswel. Will do back to back dyno test before and after. Hope will be worth
    the effort.
    Also gonna fit a passenger seat and refit working headlights (looks better with them.

Ill post pics etc along the way. Plan is to have it out for the first track day of next year which is 18th march.