DESPERATE PLEA FOR HELP from someone in north west. RE:My rado g60.

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Riley, Jul 14, 2007.

1. bens_cab Forum Junkie

would be worth getting someone with a lm1 to see what the afr is doing when it starts popping my guess is it goes uber lean until it hits the wot switch what colour are the plugs u checked

2. vrbanana Forum Junkie

what does it run like from cold? better or worse

3. infinity

infinity Forum Member

I worked on a 16v mk2 which had a similar fault, i ended up changing the isv switch on the throttle.

The fact that you have to tape it up to rev it, points to the switch being the cause??? I would still carry out the checks everyone has mentioned above though.

:)

4. vrbanana Forum Junkie

Could be the idle switch but I think he has to tape up the full throttle switch to fool it into increasing the fuel, sorry I thought you meant the ISV was faulty not the idle switch, see what you talking about now :lol:

5. KeithMac Forum Junkie

If you can get it to York I can have a poke about for you, I don`t promise I can fix it but I can have a good look, make sure all the pipes are on, check the loom/ switches etc.

6. paul_c Forum Member

Someone in the NW with an LM1? Hmmmmm

7. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

I wouldn't have a clue what to do with an lm1[:$]

Plugs have always seemed 'ok' very slightly sooty if anything,nothing bad though.

Forgot to mention actually,from cold its very revvy and responsive...its definately worse once warmed up.

Have changed both the idle and the full throttle switches for known working ones,plus they are fine when tested with a meter.[8(]

Thanks Keith:)
    Money/petrol money is very tight at the minute...but i really do need a fresh head on it...so ill see if i can bob over some time? :thumbup:

Anyway,started it up and it was just ticking over very low...tweaked the idle screw on the back of the throttle body and i couldn't believe how well/smooth it was running[:s]
    Propper stable and smooth.
    Took it for a spin and it seemed to drive pretty well,just felt smoother...but it was still slow to rev,and i think it 'popped' once.[8(]

Another thing though...Jesus christ,motorway on way back home i just gave it a bit of stick and it hit a definate 17 psi on the boost gauge[:s] felt like it too! Normally hits bang on 15 psi and no more.

I didn't go crazy because i understand that it could run lean,but jesus...felt addictive[:$]

Anyway...its still a piece of sh|t [xx(]
    Neil.

8. paul_c Forum Member

In that case, I don't have one.

9. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

You've lost me there m8...im tired and blagged.[xx(]

Were you meaning you could have a look for me? Like i say,i wouldn't have a clue what to do with one.[8(]

Neil.

10. paul_c Forum Member

Have you tried Awesome GTI, they're in Irlam, Manchester and have a rolling road facility? That might be a better bet. I could probably find the error with the LM1, but I'd not be able to fix it, since its Digifant. Have you had engine mods done to the car, but without the necessary re-chip?

11. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

I haven't tried anywhere like that just through not wanting to end up leaving the car with em and being hit with a bill i can't afford to pay...Ive spoke to both Darren at g-werks and steve cresswell at c+r but no progress as yet,although helpfull! [8(]

The car is modified...full blend charger/rsr/sns chip (which ive replaced with others) 68mm pully/boost return deleted/decat etc...

This was all done before the problem started though[8(]

Last edited: Jul 15, 2007
  12. bens_cab Forum Junkie

are you 100% sure it doesnt have a tps on the tb

sounds like its not getting enough fuel or maybe to much as that would cause a slow pick up in revs

double check the timing and maybe tweek it slightly either way and blip the throttle to see if it gets more responsive could just be a timing thing

13. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

Hi m8,
    Ive checked and double checked the timing so many times its unreal [8(] I have tried it slightly retarded and slightly advanced with no difference as far as the problem.

Ive never known a g60 with a tps to be honest?[:$] Unless you are meaning the two microswitches? one for idle and one for wide open throttle? Thats all it has.

Neil.

14. bens_cab Forum Junkie

i know later cars have a throttle position senser inside the tb so as you open the throttle the sensor goes from 0 to 5v which inturn sends a message to the ecu telling it to add more fuel at certain voltages

if it did have this and it wasnt working it would give you your symptons

also the map signal can cause problems if you had a vac leak you maynot be running at the correct kpa level but as you have a good boost level i doubt thats an issue lol

15. bens_cab Forum Junkie

opps forgot what plugs you running?

16. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

Ahhh,well ive learnt sommet there eh? never knew the later ones had tps...

Mine definately dosn't though im afraid,i wish it did so i could plug the fecking thing back in:lol:

Plugs are brand new w6dpo's iirc from vw.

17. bens_cab Forum Junkie

just a thought but may be worth trying another set of plugs i got some brand new ones recently and they last a week then the car started running like crap turned out one of the plugs wasnt enjoying my fun

probaly not an issue but must check every avenue have you tried a standard chip in it ?

18. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

Yep,have tried another psd chip which i had replaced/the old jabbasport chip it came with (cant remember make)...and the standard one i got hold of.

Have also tried a few sets of plugs through servicing it [8(]

19. bens_cab Forum Junkie

you could always try the following the thought always crosses my mind when im having troubles

cut the roof off and fill with mud then plant daffodiles in it look lovely in the spring time lol

20. vrbanana Forum Junkie

Fuel is richer when cold + lambda isn’t used when cold, that’s why it’s worse when hot. Would need to see it to be 100% sure but it defo sounds like lean mixture

would be interested in fuel pressure check on boost