From 8v to 16v and why you should make the change NOW !!

Discussion in 'Volkswagen Chat' started by A.N. Other, Apr 16, 2011.

1. R.b!n_16v Forum Member

netherllands 933 but nothing extra, my 8v digi has no extra and is 922

2. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Thats a full fat mid range torque lump Mike! 2.1 if I remember?... but just what you need for a road car... in fact... handy on track too!

You need to bring it up to date now with some ITB's to suit the cars new image! ;)

That would pick up around 10hp on the peak number... I've found that before on an 1800.

3. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

A G meter will tend to disagree with the peak locations on both those plots as it very hard to pull max Gs over 6k in a 16v and smilarly over 5k in an 8v. This is why for the std 8v vs 16v test a G meter will be used to study maxium Gs in gears/rpms and to ensure the tested dyno stuff can correlate to road feel regardless of absolute numbers. This will help to put credabilty to comments as we compare to the published VW OE 8v vs 16v plots.
    Peaks discrepancies aside, judging by the torque number achieved by GVK in that test, I would say on the same rolls there have been STD ABF engines vehicles achieving 150+ lbft of torque @ up to 6000+ rpm, putting them in the same category as your 2.1 8v. Seeing that I have driven the std ABF engines fitted to MK 1 to 3 chassis and knew/driven the 16v vehicle that was mentioned as achieveing 150+ lbft it gives me the abilty to work out how that plot you posted would feel in a light short ratio'd mk1 putting what I said about actual road Gs back into the picture. Loads of grunt from low revs with major grin factor.
    This is the same feel you get from driving a valver for the first time, except the major grin factor turns into major smiles come 4000rpm to the 6800-7200 soft cut.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
  4. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

With all this lightness, the fuel consumption must be delightful! :lol:

Feel free to haul the 875.6kgs to the enlightened Church that is the People's Front For More Valves & their National Gathering, this Sunday, in London [:*:]

5. Toyotec

But this 875kg thing is a 16-8v? Pastor Ventil may need to study and teach him first.

6. danster Forum Addict

Still awake. ;)

And watching. :lol:
    Daved should be up in an hour or so to continue the watch. We are doing shifts "tag team style".

7. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Pfft, after a session earlier on this eve with Herr Toyotec in which the prime study topics were the EA827 engine block evolution, alongside 16v heads, I'm all sat to attention ready for the nightshift with a bottle of San Miguel!

An 8v head was in attendance - as a door stop - and interestingly a G60 block. The G60 block is in itself a topic of negative 8AS learning, adopting the same flat back engine profile last seen on an H-block EG engine, from 1982 at the very latest:

[​IMG]

Eight years of evolution, put into reverse !! 8AS progress, apparently :lol:

On the plus side, it does have a 16v breather hole design on the front. Little wonder then, that they created a 16v G60 afterwards :lol:

8. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

And I would just like to note that the unelected Scotch 8AS front-runner has gone to bed :lol:

Fair enough I suppose: these highly stressed-out 8v engines do need to rest !!

9. danster Forum Addict

Bed? Pfft!! [:s]
    I merely go into my User CP and "go stealth" in a colour blind wrong lyrics Police song style. (Danster, you don't have to put on the green light). ;)

10. Dave

Dave *Very Smart* Pedantic Old Fart Paid Member

From here:

http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=234389

It appears I can remove the rear seat belts!

New estimated weight:

875.6 - 10 = 865.6 kgs.

And. If I fit the machined out P-Slot,s and replace the spare, jcks and wheel bolt spanner with an Inflate & Seal Aerosol.

865.6 - 15 = 850.6 kgs.

Now, my EV is not UK Spec. and does not have a centre silencer.

850.6 - 7 = 843.6 kgs.

I must lift the carpets and see if it has all of the UK GTI spec soundeadening, cos it is noisey and drummy inside.

11. jamesa Forum Junkie

^ :clap:

To continue the theme then ....

In support of the 16v ... Every little thing they do is magic

In commiseration of the 8v ... Can`t stand losing you / Do do do de da da da

12. danster Forum Addict

I am going to send you a "message in a bottle" stating the reasons why you will be "driven to tears" and "when the world is down, you make the best of what's still around".
    Everyone in the 8VAS knows that with the 8v engine "every little thing she does is magic". Unlike the crappy 16v that produces pants output for the number of valves with "every breath it takes" :lol:

Where is the 16v masif? Are they taking a break or something. I have been out at a concert got drunk, sobered up and logged on for the nightshift.

13. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

[​IMG]

Right here, been monitoring all day! :thumbup:

14. Toyotec

I could modify that statement in so many ways...but... remain impartial until I see hard evidence [:D]

How about your green monster down vs one of the 16V masif in a battle for the "best"...

Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  15. jamesa Forum Junkie

Stella please Danny but not via 8v post ....

16. danster Forum Addict

BUMP.
    I think this thread needs the 8 and 16 swapped round in the thread title tbh.
    As it seems most of the 16valvers out there are wilting at the prospect of the rolling road day tomorrow. They are dropping like flies. :o

17. geordiegar Forum Member

One's been fixed and is now raring to go, 8V doubter!

18. Toyotec

That is now up to 2. Pastor Ventil has been out healing the flock :lol:.

19. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Nothing wrong with them, just a little hayfever ;0)

Gurds

20. Toyotec

Up to 3. Pastor Ventil just done a miracle.

I off in my chariot of Ankors. (Sig'd valver has a big blower and is not allowed on the alter as stated in my doctrine).