GTI cam for increased power

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by davidut5, Oct 14, 2018.

1. davidut5 Forum Member

Hi.

I have read installing a mk2 gti cam puts some life in the driver lump,i have a GTI 2.0 agg mk3 engine. Does the camshaft from agg fits to my 1.6 driver EZ? Is it better?
    I would just replace the engine but local law doesnt allow that.

Thanks.

2. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

I’m only into KR 16v engines so can’t help , but someone probably Rubjonny will let you know tomorrow :thumbup:

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

assuming your EZ has hydro lifters then from memory it does go fine but isnt quite as good as a pb cam, even if so it'll still be better than the 1.6 cam anyway

davidut5, 10mm socket and Sirguydo like this.
  4. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

I knew we could count on Jonny

5. davidut5 Forum Member

Great, thanks.
    I was thinking of putting the injection system mp9 on it, what do you think, worth the trouble? Changing the cylinder head is a must i guess.

I really dont like the high idle 1,5-2k rpm for 5 min to work plus the AC and PS eats some rpm from idle too.

Wow, im really struggling to post a pic.

[​IMG]

6. rubjonny

yes you would need to swap the cylinder head over, I'm not sure if the 2.0 throttle body will work on the MP9 ecu but the pinout is the same at least

once you get enough posts you can upload images direct :)

with imgur click the image to zoom in, then right click 'copy image location' that'll give you the direct link to the image which you can then use to post on a forum. fixed it for you anyway ;)

7. davidut5 Forum Member

I thought agg had mp9, engine and electrics are left from a tdi conversion.
    Donnor is 1996 mk3 golf gti.

8. rubjonny

over here at least the AGG and ADY run simos/siemens ecu with a 68 pin plug, Bosch MP9 is more common on SA cars plus caddy/polo platform and run a 45 pin plug

but anyway, if you meant you want to run the complete MK3 injection system my answer is still the same except you know the throttle will work as its all from the same car as the ECU :lol:

9. davidut5 Forum Member

Just found out over vortex forum, what about crank sensor? Where do i put it on the 1.6?

Just googled around, i believe any 60-2 trigger would work, either on damper or flywheel seal, not sure about the hall in the seal flange.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  10. rubjonny

Ah yes sorry for AGG/ADY ECU you need a crank sensor, the MP9 ecu doesn't use one.

the other issue is you need a basic distributor with no weights/vacuum advance internals, which only has 1 trigger window, that fits a 1.6 block. I dont know of any that exist! You may be able to use a PF/PB distributor and swap the AGG/ADY trigger window over to it though.

for the crank sensor, you can use one of these:
    https://www.clubgti.com/forums/index.php?threads/yet-again-36-1-question.284749/

11. davidut5 Forum Member

Sounds like more trouble than i really want.
    I will probably stick to cam and exhaust manifold & downpipe.

12. rubjonny

if you can find a 2e code ecu and loom that'll work fine with a PB/PF distributor, you would just need to get a 2e inlet, throttle and rail for the 5th injector etc

or get a PB head, inlet, throttle etc and run your 1.6 on that. I know of one guy who did this on his 1.6 and it ran ok

13. davidut5 Forum Member

So i swapped the cam from the agg gti, it has 2mm more lift.
    I cant really feel a difference in power, just like before the swap, is pretty flat up until 4k rpm then goes better.
    Spark plugs look like running rich hmm.

Total lobe height on 1.6 is 42.5mm, on the gti mk3 cam is 44,5mm, didnt change the lifters with the cam because they were kinda funny lookin":lol: well they were worn/pitted, the engine suffered from oil changes, was black on the inside, meh..

The 1.6 clipper cam did not fit the gti because the cam has a bigger journal on the missing 4th cap.
    https://imgur.com/SCfJTxQ
    https://imgur.com/Fq2eBK4
    https://imgur.com/pWAWN03
    https://imgur.com/ADzBDqi

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
  14. rubjonny

next step is try to find a mk1/2 kjet 8v distributor from DX or EV code, note thatthe base timign on this one is different you set it to 6 deghrees BTDC with vacuum line disconnected. once running nice, then you can start tuning in more advance till you hit the sweet spot.

Also be sure to replace the exhaust system front to back with GTI 8v parts, did this on my 1.6 and I found it revved much better. The standard 8v manifold and downpipe flows nicely, (the type which has 6 studs & nuts holding them together) and the exhaust system is larger bore at 2". Only potential issue is if the coolant o'ring to the inlet has been leaking, you may find the studs and nuts under it are heavily corroded. This was the case on mine and in the end the head had to come off so I could drill out and re-tap the thread for the studs

davidut5 likes this.
  15. davidut5 Forum Member

Clutch started slipping so replaced original 190mm with 200mm one from a 1.6d complete with flywheel, when i changed the cam did not se any markings on the flywheel.
    Are the timing marks the same from diesel to petrol?
    If not i can put the 210 mm kit without the disc from agg because has different splines on gearbox shaft.

16. rubjonny

If need be you can make your own ignition timing mark, use the EV measurement:
    [​IMG]

or get a timing light with an advance dial then you can use the crank or flywheel TDC mark :)

The MK3 210mm kit will fit but you'll have to change the friction disc for an 8v one, the friction disc will swap from a MK2 kit but the pressure plate differs on the later mk3 as does the flywheel. Later mk3 use a heavier flywheel, easy to see what you have as the mk2/early mk3 has 2 locating dowels on the flywheel, late mk3 has just the 1.

You may find MK2 1.8 8v clutch kits are cheaper than the MK3 versions, if you want a full mk2 clutch kit then you'll need a mk1/2 1.8 carb/gti/16v 210mm flywheel to complete the conversion (see flywheel picture above if the flywheel you get comes from a 1.8 carb)

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
    Sirguydo likes this.
  17. davidut5 Forum Member

The ev dx dizzi should be
    026905206A or
    026905205AK ?

Mk2 gti in my country are very rare. Called a local guy who has about 20-30 golfs/jetta mk2 and asked for a distributor but gave me a code for 1.6 so i guess he has no gtis.
    Replaced exhaust manifold and downpipe from agg, deleted the cat and removed resonator. Sounds louder, probably stock mufler needs the resonator.
    Maybe i will replace the mufler with a universal sport one.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
  18. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

rubj: great info, as usual
    Jon

19. rubjonny

026905206A & 026905205AK are correct for DX and EV, you can also use 026905205AA and 026905205H. There may be other older part numbers which have been superceeded as well, if in doubt post them up and we can check :) just bear in mind if you end up with a really old one the plug on the hall sensor differs so you need an early plug housing to match it, the pins will swap so no need to splice. Might be able to swap in a later hall sensor even?

It's not desperate with a bit more advance dialled in the carb dizzy will work fine for the moment. You can even sometimes find guys who can work the black arts of weights/vacuum advance tuning, who can tune any old dizzy to work nicely. Few and far between here!

Thanks Jon, means a lot coming from you :thumbup:

20. davidut5 Forum Member

I bought a timing light, how much to set the timing for the carb dizzi?

Thank you.