Mk2 20v - MOT'd & On the Road!

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Classy6, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Classy6 Forum Member

Car's back off the road again now :(

I've had an underlying boost fault that I never realised was actually a fault until a month or so ago. Long story short, I had mixed up n249 plug with n75 plug & had being essentially running around in the car with the n75 disconnected as it was plugged into a bypassed n249.

The reason I never really suspected anything is because it was just slow to build boost, 1.5bar around 4-4.5k (though I've never driven another 20v to of known!). When I realised my mistake & plugged the plugs back into their correct sensors, the car was mental to drive. Boost spiked at 2.0bar++ at around 2.5/3k & pulled 1.5bar to redline - was a weapon to drive that once but very obviously over-boosting.

Further investigation & understanding, was disconnecting n75 valve, the turbo should run on actuator pressure (6psi, 0.5bar) this evidently wasn't the case as I'd been using the car for months with it disconnected & it was running 0.5 bar to 4.5k, then hitting 1.5bar & maintaining to redline. More faffing & advice from Bill @ B5 revealed the turbo that I'd purchased from Midland turbo was manufactured faulty. B5 had a Chinese copy K04 in recently with similar symptoms to what I described. B5's investigation lead to finding the wastegate port hole was actually TO SMALL. It being to small, means there isn't a big enough hole to allow the air to escape through the wastegate & relieve the boost to 6psi / 0.5 bar.

When I removed the turbo last weekend to check, I measured up the hole & inspected, called Midland turbo & had them compare. The turbo they had sold me had a 5mm diameter smaller port hole than was actually specified! My turbo measuring at 21mm, rather than 25/26mm. My turbos LIMP MODE was 1.5bar instead of 0.5bar! They also admitted using a chinese hot side, as gen hot sides are very difficult to source.

Got the turbo back Monday & I'm amazed at the difference in sizes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

New:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

& How the car looks at the moment:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Going to order some valve stem seals this week, I'll put those in when re-fitting the turbo. Hopefully will cure the excessive oil burning on cold startup after it's been sat a while. If the stems are worn, I'll buy some rods & do those at the same time later on in the year when funds are available. I will get this car mapped eventually!

2. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

This car will definitely be an impiration for mine :thumbup:

As said above, i persoanlly wouldn't change a thing as it looks perfect. :)

3. General27 New Member

That is one mint Mk2! Looks great!

4. Classy6 Forum Member

Thanks chaps.

Have been plugging away at finishing up the loose ends on her past couple of months, slow progress but it's being used more than it's being worked on now.

After I got the turbo back I sent it down to bill @ badger 5 for some more porting of the wastegate hole, open it up a little more & help flow. He also tacked the wastegate lever sleeve into place as they have a tendency to wear, come loose and then jam.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fitted it back onto the car & all was well. Found out Airmass had gone down after testing, so replaced that also. Car is all running sweet as a nut now.

Sold on the sparco wheel, it was irritating to me so much because I could see the speedo numbers - always had to tilt my head to see how fast I was going. Got old quick, though the standard one is back on now is just huge. Looking for a 350mm dia one now.

Finallly got round to re-trimming the head liner to! First decided to strip off all the old crap from the roof to make way for the remainder of the soundproofing I had left. Then carefully pulled off the old material, not really in that bad of condition really and then sanded all the crap off to leave a nice smooth base to stick the new material to.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Trimmed the sunroof, though maybe getting redone as should of padded the middle out a little more. Originally it hangs over where as we stuck it, course the base isn't flat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Trimming..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All fitted in. Have to give most the credit to my mrs, much more of knack for it than me!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got some 16v clocks in perfect working order at last. All fitted & mileage adjusted. I broke the speedo needle on the old clocks so I'm looking for another, does anyone have a spare???!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Been running the car around for a week, happy to say there are no more running faults anymore. As soon as the second lambda has been coded out when the cars mapped I should have a fully functioning, accurate EML light (it currently stays on because of the second lambda!)

Had to replace the component crossovers with new as person I purchased off sold me a dodgy one, replacements are impossible to find. I had temporary fixed it by using another capacitor but the sound was never quite as good as the geniune untouched one.

[​IMG]

Just need to sort out the centre console now. Any ideas on getting that thing to sit around the massive 02J shift box? Asides converting back to the polo one which fits perfecting into the mk2 framing underneath.

Finally gave the car it's first proper clean since coming back from the detailers. Washed, waxed & hoovered. Gleaming.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Classy6 Forum Member

6. Classy6 Forum Member

Car now sold.