Mk2 20v - MOT'd & On the Road!

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Classy6, Feb 2, 2009.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

afaik the mk2 pas pipes will fit the mk4 pump just fine, the mk3 uses a banjo bolt like the mk4s do and mk2 pipes fit straight into that

2. Classy6 Forum Member

Sounds like you've had a bigger headache than I have with it :lol:

I might have to have a scout about for the 20v pump.. It's probably lost though, so much stuffs gone missing from moving units 3 times [:x]

Do any of those lines with the banjo connections for the 20v pump bolt straight up to a mk2 rack as well? Or does the rack need to be changed also..?

I may pop up & have a faff about later... A minor modification to the subframe is looking like the easiest option here though.

3. 20v_jimmy Forum Member

The mk2 pump you have there looks rather different to my one classy. The outlet hose on that one looks very similar to the mk4 and mk3 jobs. My mk2 pump has the outlet come out of the pump parallel to the front crossmember from what i remember. I will have a check later if i can.

It does look as though it might just clear if you fitted the pump after the engine maybe? I have read of people having to clearance the crossmember when using some pumps and i cant really see any problem with doing so.

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

mk3 pas lines will bolt right up to mk2 pump, and have the banjo fitting, pretty sure that will fit the mk4 pump. but as i say, the mk2 pas lines should fit the mk4 pump as well

5. Classy6 Forum Member

Any pictures of your pump mate?

Had a quick look on ETKA, lists 2 pumps one for what covers the majority of Mk2s & then another for the PG/G60 engine which states has an angled rear connection for the supply hose?

I've still yet to go up, weekend hopefully!

6. frenno

frenno Forum Member

I fitted my PAS pump after the engine was in, as it was/is really close to the crossmember,

7. Road Boss Forum Member

Good work! Getting this done right the first time.:thumbup:

8. Ditchyboy Forum Member

Rear polybush engine mount insert
    G60 solid rubber transmission mount
    Hi classy6 i was wondering what make your engine mount insert is and where did you get it from? also do you know if you can get the g60 solid transmission mount from gsf?

cheers

9. Classy6 Forum Member

Got the G60 rear trans mount from Gwerks for about 30-40 quid I think mate.

The insert was off of ebay ~20 - although I'm debating just using a G60 rear engine mount now to.

10. Ditchyboy Forum Member

what is the reason for getting rid of the rear mount insert? not upto scratch? do you know how much the G60 rear engine mount will be?

11. Classy6 Forum Member

The engine is sat a little off, so going to try a different mount see if it helps. Apart from that, no reason.

Think it's about 40 from AVS.

12. Ditchyboy Forum Member

well let me know how the G60 rear mount compares to the mount insert so i can get the best one! ;)

13. Classy6 Forum Member

:lol: I won't be getting it for a while chap, to many other things to be bought of more importance at the moment, it will be one of the last purchases in for 'final touches'.

14. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Just read the whole build and ive got to say its very impressive :thumbup: Will be good to use some of the info with my mk2 20v build.

Loads of attention to detail, just what im aiming for to. Top work! Cant wait to see it finished!

Rich

:thumbup:

15. Classy6 Forum Member

Last updated Janurary :lol:

I have some form of news at last [:D]

Progress or at least the start of some now I've re-found my motivation! In last 10 months, I've done very little in first few months - then nothing in terms of progress after that really. Only time I've touched it thereafter was when I moved the car to my garage at my house out of the unit, as it costing me the best part of a 1000 for 10 months rent & I hadn't been up there once [:s]

Last tuesday I had half a day off work, it was a lovely day so decided seeing as I was supposed to be working on cars anyway, I'd carry on the trend for the day but just work on my own for a change.

Some of this stuff I'd done back 8-9 months ago - not just half a day ;) A bit repeated as I updated this last over ED38 to [:$]

So I got the engine to mounts all lined up & fitted. For anyone wondering I had the rear engine mount 180* out, hence the huge offset. Turned around, fitted perfectly. Now have a Corrado G60 front mount bracket to fit correctly instead mk2/3 bracket.

[​IMG]

Problem being then my PAS pump hose connection was hitting the subframe..

[​IMG]

So cut out a portion of the subframe to make room.

[​IMG]

Then found out I'd bought the wrong Turbo oil return pipe - short by a couple centremeters so got another, longer one

[​IMG]

Drilled a hole for the entire loom to run through into the interior

[​IMG]

All the loom fed through the grommet - MISSION! This has since been wrapped in conduit, I've got some heat proof tape to go around that to so to protect it fully - although I don't see it as a big concern. Plenty of cars (Mercedes especially run loom directly pass the turbo/hotter areas & they have No problems)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Found a starter that fitted the box. Will buy a newer one/re-build/clean up at some stage in the future.

[​IMG]

Wired up the feeds + Earths to the alternator & starter with the massive cable. I also apoligise from this point on for the quality of the pictures, my camera broke on my iphone & the cheap eBay one I bought to replace it has provided me with blurry pictures ever since!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Engine fitted + can see the need for the bigger oil return hose.

[​IMG]

Got hold of a mk1 top fill rad. The plan was to take the header top fill tank off the side & fit it to a mk2 radiator. Purchased a new 8v radiator last night, ready to be butched :lol:

[​IMG]

Gave the bay a bit of a scrub, still need some degreaser to finish it off. Purchased touch up & spray paint last night just to fill in the bad spots for now until it's ready for the body shop.

[​IMG]

Fitted battery terminal ends

[​IMG]

Drilled the holes for the clutch master cylinder. It's seized & knackered now so I need to get another one, but for test fitting purposes...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Heater matrix fitted into the heater box, as well as the heater box being cleaned & disinfected + resealed with new sponge at the joints.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Power steering lines re-fitted & the reservoir.

[​IMG]

Also mocked up a braket for the accelerator pedal, hopefully the old man is going to get some slots machined for me ready to fit the pedal.

Last night I ordered a:
    New 8v 525mm radiator
    New intercooler - to be set-up front mounted behind bumper.
    Touch up paint - Spray paint to touch up crap areas in the bay.
    Brand new inner & outer CV joints (J&R)
    Driveshafts have been powdercoated, anti roll bars, front engine mount bracket
    Piece of 3mm steel for a spacer for the master cylinder
    24.9mm stubby seat ibiza cupra master cylinder

That's all for now :thumbup:

16. Kav1187 Forum Member

Brilliant work there chap! I'm on my second 20vt conversion now and was trying to find a better solution for the oil return pipe. Someone said there's an OEM pipe from another car that routes round the mount but I can't find any details on which one it is.

Anyhoo, great work! Keep it up! :thumbup:

17. Classy6 Forum Member

Cheers -Thats just one off ebay chap, the longer of the two mind!

Load of stuff arrived yesterday:

[​IMG]

New radiator + Intercooler

[​IMG]

New 4 CV joints

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Driveshafts built up that night. CV joints look pretty good - 70 delivered.

Got my bracket for the pedal & the 3mm plate to make the spacer. Hopefully get lots done this weekend.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  18. Ditchyboy Forum Member

hi mate, where you get the cv joints from? look good for the cash!

19. Classy6 Forum Member

J&R CV Joints mate. Ebay or have their own online shop.

20. Classy6 Forum Member

Hoping car's going for paint this week, been trying to get it into my work for the engine bay to be painted. Can start putting everything back together once thats finished.

Bought a few things to..

[​IMG]

12" for the radiator

[​IMG]

TIM's boost gauge - mechanical.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

KW V1 Inox